Thread: The eBay Debate: To Part or Not to Part

The eBay Debate: To Part or Not to Part

Here is an interesting situation. A pair of unusual JBL 076 Elliptical Radiators from the L220 just closed at $821:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEBWA:IT

Yet here is a complete pair of L220 languishing at $728 with a day to go:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MESSE:IT

They would seem to be worth more as pieces than complete!

Tom Loizeaux
    The only way to stop this is to refuse to pay more for a componant then what it would be worth as part of a complete system. In fact, we should pay even less that it's componant value because we would have to collect all the parts to re-assemble the units. This is how it should be.
    However, there are too many people out there who only look at their immediate wants.
    All we can do is educate.

Tom

What is the diff between L220 and L222 DIsco Tower?
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Obsolete
    Less mass on the L222 passive radiator for a more "aggressive" bass response.

RIP 2009
    Did you see - those L220 speakers jumped by over $1000 in the last minute - they went for something like $1820. And another set from someone else went up right after that one ended - I'm sure the guy with the second set didn't want his going at the same time...

John

icon

4311B parted due to cracked cab

by the time i articulated the degree of crackedness, the bidders would have looked elsewhere. so i disassembled the unit. i get about the same $.

I'm probably going to wind up parting out the single early model L100 I have.

Firstly, there's not nearly as many early models as later ones, so finding a mate to it to use as a pair, is pretty improbable. Secondly, the midrange is blown, and the cost to repair it is substantial. Thirdly, the parts from this one (the early 123A with the alternate terminal locations, and the LE20-1) are relatively hard to find- the parts from this, may allow someone to fix a more significant speaker system (L70 Alpha, etc) than the L100 anyway...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information