Thread: Used K2 9500 VS New 4348

Used K2 9500 VS New 4348

Hi,

I have a chance to purchase either of these speakers at about the same price. Any advice on which is a better option?

Thanks

You really need to try and listen to them and make your own mind up.

I guess it depends... in general I agree with Ian's recommendation. Before you buy any speaker, you should audition it. That said, the K2 will likely be a better investment in the long run and is far more of a visual statement. The 4348 is a more accurate system, but that may not be your only requirement.

Personally, if I was in the market for a higher end JBL I'd look seriously at the Array 1400. It is extremely accurate and has all the dynamics that either of these two systems offer.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have audition the 4348. But have not heard the 9500 yet. Also it would not be a side-by-side comparison so it is going to be difficult decision. I am more concerned on the availability of replacement parts for the 9500, e.g. drivers diaphragm etc. I have had bad experience from old JBL drivers where the diaphragms needed to be replaced. Otherwise, I am really attracted by the 4-box design of the 9500. It has the same basic design principle as the new Everest 66000 in that it is basically a two way with double woofers tuned to different frequencies. What it lacks is a supertweeter to bring it up to modern specs.

I wish I had that kind of problem.

K2 is a better value like a real collector piece. But it seems more difficult to control than the 4348 studio monitor.

Both a very choice so, do not care !!!
    Regards Stephane

dennis j leisz

K2 M9500

I've owned a pair of M9500's for many years. Buy them and never look back.
    Most importantly, have fun.
    Dennis

I hadn't noticed before, but those K2 9500 cabinets look like super-sized PT800 enclosures.

Those 4348s look like... well, I won't say as I don't want to offend the traditionalists.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Those 4348s look like... well, I won't say as I don't want to offend the traditionalists.
    Please Doug.. say it, say it...

either would be good, personally I'm looking at some array 1400's..

If you get the K2's be sure NOT to use the standard brackets used in the back like the picture shows but use good size wire for the connections. Doug ( TiDome) and I tested with the PT800's and the standard brackets seriously degrade the sound. Best sound I have found is using good old 12 gauge and some Zilch wires running parallel

Hi, I am new to this forum and to JBL/Altec.
    I have question regarding a K2 9500. I have been offered a K2 9500 and it is in excellent condition, however my concern is, if I need spare parts, like drivers, are they still available?
    What is the lifespan of such a speaker? I am aware, that there are still Paragons around, which is quite an old speaker.
    If there are no more spare parts available, is it possible to use other drivers in the K2 cabinets? And will the sonic results be similar?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

This is a question that also concerns me. I don't know the answer--possibly no one does at this point. But I will share with you my sense of the situation. JBl is closing its stateside manufacuring. The results of the new setup in Mexico are still quite unknown. Recently JBL has abandoned many of its consumer products, but still seems to intend supporting commercial products. The S9500 shared components with the M9500, a studio monitor, and therefore on the commercial side. The 1400nd woofer has been Factory Service Only for some time. What JBL's intentions are about continuing to support it I do not know. The diaphragm in the treble driver will probably be available well into the future.

Does this mean you should not buy a no-longer-in-production JBL speaker? I don't think so. But it does mean that the decades of support for their product that we could rely on in the past is disappearing fast. But that puts JBL in the same class as most other speaker manufacturers. As for me, I'm planning on enjoying my 1400nd's (in a DIY) as long as they work because they are fantastic, very accurate, musical, tough, high output woofers and suitable replacements are uncommon and expensive.

Thank you speakerdave, your reply is very helpful.

Thread Information