Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dance and Trance Me

I know very little of the genre , but always liked Jean-Michel Jarre "Oxygene" , is this considered trance ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyg%C3%A8ne
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

[quote=SEAWOLF97;232715]I know very little of the genre , but always liked Jean-Michel Jarre "Oxygene" , is this considered trance ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyg%C3%A8ne[/quote]

No, that is considered music.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You know, Coltrane has a big spot on the shelf of my music library, but some of his stuff just absolutely turns me off, and I can see if someone heard that material first, they might dismiss his whole catalog.
    Well, that is one small difference between us. I also get very high on his most out there stuff. The French concert found on the second CD of some editions of A Love Supreme is a good example. If I put it on with family or company here it would clear the place out. I can't get enough of it. I put on Stellar Regions to relax!

To me, Trance is not loud and proud or for youth instead of their timid parents. I think it just limps along or lies there like a wet noodle. Given that it is attempting to be high energy, I think it fails miserably. Like Disco, loud but limp. I am tempted to say flaccid. If music wants to really light a fire it need a lot more than beats and volume. Well, there was that time in a Disco in Champaign years ago. A lesbian couple was making out in a big chair and a couple of minutes later they were having a fistfight. But I don't suppose the passion was incited by the music...

But that is me, I have not heard it in a club, and I am very happy that it has a following and gets fans high.
    Phil Keaggy (who?)
    Who smoo. Do you mean in Glass Harp, his E-bow solo era, the acoustic stuff, his work with his wife?

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Who smoo. Do you mean in Glass Harp, his E-bow solo era, the acoustic stuff, his work with his wife?

Clark
    That be the guy.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I listened but I found myself wondering "can I sing along to this? can I whistle along to this"? Trance is very simple chord patternss with a drum beat similar to most other tunes but it has no melody at all. I am not saying it is noise, it isnt, but for me if there is no melody line to at least whistle to it doesnt have a lot of merit. I have a BA in music and have worked as a professional musician for nearly 30 years so it is an informed decision. But hey, it was just a wind up.
    Also depends on WHICH mix of any particular song, or track your listening to.

Simply put, at the beatport site, if one clicks on the title of the tune, another page opens, and shows all the available mixes of a tune. Now, you mighthave two or three mixes, Original Mix, Instr. Mix, and Radio Mix, OR you might have a tune, with up to ten differdnt mixes of a single title tune! Or you might find a tune from an artist YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT! It happens this way.

This is what I mean when I talk about SEARCHING! There IS music, but, UNLIKE 20 years ago, THERES MUCH MORE TO CHOOSE FROM!

Finding music today is a job, in itself, BUT, I FIND MINE! I DO!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    ... most of the material was either mp3's or flac (a term I had never heard till recently. I am a little bit dissapointed by this fact as I like to have a physical tangible source but this is, unfortunately for me, the way things are, oh well!
    FLAC is the file sharer's friend. I think it stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. Just download the FLAC frontend tool and you can code and decode.

The two main competitors are .ape (Monkey's Audio is the tool source) and WavPack (.wv, the tool is WavPack frontend). WavPack is the simplest, FLAC seems to attract higher class music, APE is the most popular right now.

All are lossless compression technologies, yielding CD quality playback. If you want to burn a disc, decode the file first. It usually sounds better than decoding on the fly by the burning software - Winamp, Nero, etc. These players will play the files without prior decoding. Just download the proper tool, usually third party software.

There are other systems. This is a great page: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....ess_comparison

Clark

I dont know about how to classify it , but was just listening to
    Sumi Jo doing "Vocalise" (the theme from Ninth Gate ) and it always puts me in a trance...

(Shes cute too)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumi_Jo

"She also provided a vocalise for the soundtrack of The Ninth Gate, composed by Wojciech Kilar. The main theme of this film is based on a piece by Camille Saint-Saëns."
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The two main competitors are .ape (Monkey's Audio is the tool source) and WavPack (.wv, the tool is WavPack frontend). WavPack is the simplest, FLAC seems to attract higher class music, APE is the most popular right now.

All are lossless compression technologies, yielding CD quality playback. If you want to burn a disc, decode the file first. It usually sounds better than decoding on the fly by the burning software - Winamp, Nero, etc. These players will play the files without prior decoding. Just download the proper tool, usually third party software.
    Clark
    Hi Clark!
    Thanks for the info, I was doing some research yesterday on some of this stuff. I guess at some point I'll have to take the plunge with all these new formats, it was/is innevitable I suppose.
    CD quality playback you say, I like that !
    Just Play Music.

Hi Clark!
    Thanks for the info, I was doing some research yesterday on some of this stuff. I guess at some point I'll have to take the plunge with all these new formats, it was/is innevitable I suppose.
    scottyj

Hi Clark!
    I should elaborate that the playback or burned disc is CD quality if the full audio file was compressed when it was created. One could - and some do - losslessly compress an mp3, for instance, and when decoded a lossy mp3 is the result. Pointless, but it happens. So FLAC, .ape or .wv is not a guarantee.

These programs are much, much better for music than compressors not designed for audio (like Winzip). All three of these developers are really on the ball. Most tools are very efficient and compact. The FLAC frontend, my favorite, is only a 30kb download! I keep a folder on the desktop with shortcuts to all three frontends.

Here are the sites to get the software. The first page linked will in each case be the portal:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html
    http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

http://www.wavpack.com/
    http://www.wavpack.com/downloads.html

Notice the plugins for Winamp, Nero, etc. All these tools are no charge, but feel free to donate.

Clark

Attention Download Sites

I realize I am pissing in the wind, but does it also make sense to you fellow forumites that for pay download sites should offer lossless download formats?

Since most legal sites charge for the downloads - fair enough, artists should be paid - I think they should at least offer the option for buyers who favor fidelity over compactness.

The reason why I think my urine stream is aimed squarely upwind? We hifi folks are probably outnumbered one hundred to one, at least?

As Dome would point out, Apple is leading the way with ALAC offerings. But I would favor FLAC, .ape and WavPack over limited, proprietary systems like Apple Lossless.

Clark

BOTH Beatport and Traxsource offer WAV files, as well. More expensive, and they take alot of HD and STORAGE SPACE!

I am buying THREE 1TB external storages to warehouse my old, not current music. And 1 also needs a considerably large HD in the computer, which I have, and am going larger, YES, I AGREE WAV, FLAC, and the future can, do, and will continue to sound better than Apple Lossless.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    BOTH Beatport and Traxsource offer WAV files, as well. More expensive, and they take alot of HD and STORAGE SPACE!

I am buying THREE 1TB external storages to warehouse my old, not current music. And 1 also needs a considerably large HD in the computer, which I have, and am going larger, YES, I AGREE WAV, FLAC, and the future can, do, and will continue to sound better than Apple Lossless.
    STORAGE SPACE is cheap, I just bought a replacement SATA drive for my TIVOHD -
    a Seagate Pipeline 7200 1 TB drive with 32 megs of cache for $135 - unbelievable!
    After the first of the year I'll start converting my G4 MAC's external storage
    from Firewire 800 with dual parallel ATA drives
    to USB2 and dual SATA drives - they are larger and faster ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I know, but my point is that THEY ARE OFFERING WAV, and actually have been for quite some time, now.

I hear a big difference from MP3 to WAV, other guys I know say they can't hear it. But, in order to download WAV YOU NEED SPACE, and the typical Apple G4 isn't enough anymore, and the Serato program was written for the G4, and is why it never worked as well on Windows.

Im going with Seagate as well, commercial duty, high speed, 500GB HD, and a Macbook Pro 17. AND 2 or 3 1TB external storages. Right now i have over 15,000 tunes crammed into the dinky G4! My new MacBook pro will be here next week.

Heather, I just am aware that some people can't, won't, or don't spend extra, IF they can get the same thing for a dollar less, even though maybe not as good. My music in WAV is $1.00 more per track than the same tune MP3, AND the sites have an extra handling charge when you buy WAV, too.

Now $1.00 seems innocent enough, BUT, in the long run, it adds UPPPP! My music bills are HIGH. IF IT's HOTTT, I GOTTA HAVE IT, and, let me tell you, I am spending MORE money NOW then I ever did back in the day, for vinyl. When I first got into the game a domestic 12in single was $2.49 and $2.99, Imports were $3.99 and $4.99, and back then I used to spend about $125/wk, + $60.00 monthly membership dues for the record pool I belonged to. In Miami, from `89 tom `95, I averaged around $300.00/wk on vinyl, but now that i was spinning in a club, a famous club, I also got a good amount of pre release and special mixes direct from the record labels, free. 12in Import vinyl cost around $7.99 and $8.99.

NOW today, at $1.99 and $2.49, and $3.99 a track, its cheaper, right? BUT there's so much music out there now, and my average weekly spend for music is around $500/wk,and have weeks that exceed this, too. IF THERES FERROCIOUS STUFF I GOTTA HAVE IT! I'm buying huge volume, it's more costly than when they had to actually work to make product. And it is instantly available, OH IM A MUSIC JUNKIE!

But the technology is gettin GOOOOD,and IT'S FUN TO USE, and SOUNDS GOOD!

Heather, come down this summer and visit, Im also getting another DJ software program, either Traktor or Ableton, and Heath, once you see and hear what you can do with this stuff, used the right way, GAME OVER!

Heather U wanna come rock the house? I let u drive my train! IT'S AN EXPERIENCE! Then you'll know why DJ,s are sooo nutz and why I am as passionate about what I do, as well.

C'mon down, I get you a hot dog and fries!

scottyj

Scott et al

In 1969-72 I was the manager of the college radio station. I used to get deluged with swag (T-shirts, posters, statues, cardboard stand up displays, exclusive vinyl singles, special color LPs, picture LPs, etc.). I'd even get free radio interviews over the phone with bored stars like Elton John, Grace Slick, Paul Kantner, John Lord, Papa John Creach, Paul Butterfield, and so on.

The biggest thrill in all this was talking to Memphis soulster Isaac Hayes, who was not only a good guest, but when he finally believed I was really into his groove he was pretty prescient about two big developments in music: rap and dance. His influence is unmistakable in both. He didn't use those terms at the time, but he rapped on "...To Be Continued" and he helped usher in the Disco Era.

Some of the dance-flavored stuff he served up on a couple of demo tapes he sent me would play in most clubs today. Sadly, the tapes were ruined in a fire (along with a lot of the swag), but Isaac Hayes had a big influence on me making the musical moves I have, as he was such a great liberator of my musical mind.
    Out.

Thread Information