Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4345 Project

Good memories will always be with you Sub!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Looking sweet but are you sure you got all the bracing in those cabinets? The bottom looks to have none but I think the factory had 2 on the bottom panel running front to back?
    Hi John,
    The only bracing in the bottom of a 4345 is the base.
    They're on there...you just can't really see them in those pics.
    How's everything in Winnipeg? Are the mosquito's starting to come out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLCanuck View Post
    Hi John,
    The only bracing in the bottom of a 4345 is the base.
    They're on there...you just can't really see them in those pics.
    How's everything in Winnipeg? Are the mosquito's starting to come out
    yet?
    Yes my mistake. I looked at the plans again and the bottom is bare.
    Does not mean you cant throw a few braces in there anyway. I guess it depends on what your end game is with these?

Also about Winnipeg, we had a big meltdown a few weeks ago that took away about 50% of our ground cover and I figure in a few weeks from now the rest will be gone as well. Might be a bit of flooding this spring as there is a lot of snow in North Dakota that will be heading this way when it melts. Could be a huge crop of Mosquito's after that. Time will tell? If it gets bad I will spend more time in my man cave with the JBL's

If I make it out to the lower mainland this summer I hope those 4345's will be up and running, would love to hear them.

I built the grill frames last night & so now just install my Zilch cloth & insulation & their done!
    ....or is this just the beginning

Grille Frames

Very tasty work there. I like the figured profile at the front edge , just adds that little extra. Nice !

Quote Originally Posted by JBLCanuck View Post
    ....or is this just the beginning
    I get it!

Again, beautiful work. I can't tell you how impressive it's been to watch your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I get it!

Again, beautiful work. I can't tell you how impressive it's been to watch your progress.
    Thanks!
    Nothing about this project was hard. If a guy has a table saw & a router...he's got enough tools to build any cabinets with very little experience needed. There's enough help & expertise on this site that it's just not difficult if you're not in a hurry.
    Now I gotta make us a couple of brackets

Man, those cabinets look pretty!

Nice job!

Yes, Those are looking very nice indeed. Carry on my comrade

They look great even upside down!

JBLCanuck,

Do you think we should tell them what we are going to do?

Just plan the escape route first...LOL

A trick question. What was the final iteration of the JBL 43XX 4 way series and how was it different from from the earlier versions?

4344 MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    What was the final iteration of the JBL 43XX 4 way series and how was it different from from the earlier versions?
    Probably this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    A trick question. What was the final iteration of the JBL 43XX 4 way series and how was it different from from the earlier versions?
    The final iteration is the 4348 and it doesn't sound as nice as previous versions. It does lack the foam rot though.

The network to use is the 4344 MK II, tweaked accordingly for use with the 2121, 2122, 2123, or 2202 as well as the 8 ohm and 16 ohm 1-inch and 2-inch compression drivers. It is more expensive than the 4344/4345 network. I don't bother with the non bi-amped version. All my networks are bi-amp only as per the 4350/4355. That way anyone can use them with any LF transducer(s) they desire. I personally prefer the LE14H-3, 1500FE or 1500AL. The dual 2234H, dual 2235H or 2245H systems are just too damn big, albiet outstanding.

Even if you happen to have the stock 2123H, 2425H (275Nd) complement you will still want to tweak the bi-amp only version because you don't want to waste energy in the 2123H fixed pad nor would you want to have the L-Pad in the circuit. The fixed pads on the 2425H and 2405H are reduced accordingly. All of this can be nailed down tight with CLIO and LEAP.

Someone recently bought all the D8R275 diaphragms JBL had left in stock so someone is definitely reading this stuff...

Fiangio is correct.

The 4344mk11 used CC (the 4348 was a departure in my mind as it used another horn).

The 4344mk11 used the 2123, a revised woofer,a dusted diaphragm and charge coupling

I will find a suitable price for you.

Ian

Thanks 4313B. Damn. it..LOL

To cut along story short both JBLCanuck and I have the 2123 as a result of some collaboration. On the basis of the 2123H driver availability it was determined that it was worth using it in place of the 2122H.

I never auditioned the 4348 in Japan but Lord Von Zilchmeister has some of the 4348 horns and they were good (as I recall) but I have heard the 4344mk11 and it was impressive. I think Steve K likes them as well.

What it interesting is how JBL have introduced the 2123H and the way it is blended to the horn. When modelled it becomes intuitive that much of the 2123H extended response is used to advantage so that the horn is introduced more gradually and as they say everything is done for a reason. (If you change anything it all goes hello). Not to go into much detail at this stage but we know the 2123H has a non flat response. I don't have SE in front of me right now but way the 4344mk11 filter works is elegantly normalise the response and provide the correct rolloff to the horn without heavy handed L + C values to force the issue.

So to begin with we are not going to reinvent the wheel but your suggestions are appreciated.

There certainly is a lot of copper in this network.

Given the extra bits and with the Dcr values used I expect someone spent a lot of time voicing it on that basis.

If over time there are deemed tweaks (following lengthy auditions) then updates can be arranged.

Thread Information