Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4345 Project

4345 Project

4345's are coming along extra nicely.
    Baffles are finished including the ports, all the mill work is done...now if my shop would just warm up I could glue them together!
    I have 3-1500 Watt heaters going & it barely takes the chill off.
    My shop is 10,000 square feet with vintage windows all the way around & no insulation in the ceiling.
    We just got hit with some real cold weather & snow so it's slowed me down.
    Oh well....might have to move them into the kitchen so I can finish them
    up.
    The cabinets are actually not difficult if anyone's planning on building a set.

Hey, how about some pictures, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Hey, how about some pictures, please?
    He said...............Pics please!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Not much to take pictures of yet.
    I made a third baffle for when I want to make more 4345's, I have a
    template . Much easier to cut the baffles with a saw & then trim them perfect using a template & router than using circle cutters.
    Hopefully if I get a chance I'll glue the boxes together this Weekend.
    Here's a couple of pictures from when I cut the baffles...

Pretty straight forward easy stuff.

Easy? Yeah, maybe for you! Nice idea using a template and a router. Looking good, keep us posted, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Easy? Yeah, maybe for you! Nice idea using a template and a router. Looking good, keep us posted, please.
    I was thinking JBLCanuck was using a Jasper Jig but its something similar.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/Tech/365-250.html

Yes, it's similar. I actually have two of them...the one in that picture only works up to about 7" diameter & is very accurate. The other one goes from 5" to something like 40" & works great but not quite as acurate as the smaller one.
    So all the snow here slowed me down over Christmas but I got a couple of hours to get back at them today. So I have them sitting in my shop with a couple of clamps just dry fit & everything fits perfect. I actually knew they'd fit...I just wanted to see them sitting looking like 4345's.
    So all that's left before gluing is to add the internal bracing, & glue the doghouse to the front baffle & they's ready to glue
    Then all the easy part is done & time for the part I'm not looking forward to....veneering
    So hopefully soon they'll take shape

Veneering

Its all in this thread. Shameless plug. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...d+box+building Its not as difficult as you might think and I did it the hard way.
    Start from post 81

Thanks Mac, I've read through your post...beautiful job you've done!
    I'm leaning towards the Titebond glue route. Your job looks fantastic & I'm sure you know something I don't because as Saeman has experienced....me too whenever I've veneered using Contact Cement. I've tried water based, oil based, rolling, spraying....waiting longer before bonding......never been happy with my end result over time.
    My latest screw up was I used white glue on venner without the paper backer. I decided I'd use a piece of 1" plywood I had & clamp the veneer down...evectively like a big press since it was only a 1'x1' area.
    When I removed the clamp the next day......the venner was like a washboard! I guess the moisture on one side of the venner isn't good?
    Anyway....it'll be veneering trials #156 for me here but after reading all the threads on Titebond II & ironing it on....it sounds like the answer I've been looking for. I find with my contact cement jobs...enevitably it's come loose at the edges. I just can't imagine white glue letting go once it's cured.
    How have you found yours have held up?

So far so good

The point you may have missed is that I primed the surfaces or in other words two coats of adhesive. I was also using a commercial grade which may have better performance. I tried an adhesive film but it was crap but my smelling salts supplier recently had some film which behaved in a totally different way to the stuff I had. She has been using it for years for veneer repairs. In this case she repaired the top of an upright piano completely with a fiddleback veneer removed from somewhere else. Don't ask me how she did that !!. The end result was outstanding , using her self adhesive film.
    I would suggest getting samples and try some out.
    Good luck

4345's Ready For Veneer

Well, with Christmas & all the kooky weather we got here out West it's delayed my progress but I put a few hours in this Weekend & got my DIY 4345's all glued together & ready for veneer. I glued the Walnut profile on the front this evening, since this picture was taken & so far everything has gone real smooth. I took in my 4301B's & had the blue paint matched up & so a little veneer, a little painting & they'll be looking pretty smart
    Then the grills....fiddly ugly job that'll be.
    Thanks for all the help!

WOW!

Looks Great!

Don't Stop!

Please keep us informed of your progress!!!

I love building and retrofitting speaker boxes.

scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Very nice. How about some closeups of the bracing!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

The only alteration from factory 4345's I decided to make is that I don't like the way they just glue the 1/2" thick profile on the front edge & then paint the remaining PB that extends beyond the baffle, blue.
    I cut my profile & then left 1/16" that extends the extra 1/2" so that it extends right to the baffle....basically making the top & side 1" PB appear to be 1-1/16" thick...which is how thick the original JBL material was anyway...you follow?
    I'll post a pic later.
    Got my Iron...my Titebond II...my veneer roller...all ready to roll

Thread Information