Thread: Magnet question

Magnet question

Ok- so I'm having a JBL technition recone a pair of 2240s into 2245s. This person is located in Pomton Lakes NJ and he was he noted on this forum as a professional who is an excellent JBL repair technition who uses only OEM parts.

Anyway, as part of my due dilligence, I did ask him several questions about the repair and based on my limited knowledge, I was satisfied that he was capable for the job.

One issue I did not discuss with him, however, was motor maintenance. I beleive the 2240 drivers were made with ceramic magnets which, according to the stuff I have read here, generally do not loose strength with age or use.

Question: When rebuilding the cores, is it a standard practice to re-magnitize a ceramic motor, or is this a standard practice only for Alnico-V motors?

Thanks...

Obsolete
    It doesn't apply to your drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Ok- so I'm having a JBL technition recone a pair of 2240s into 2245s. This person is located in Pomton Lakes NJ and he was he noted on this forum as a professional who is an excellent JBL repair technition who uses only OEM parts.

Anyway, as part of my due dilligence, I did ask him several questions about the repair and based on my limited knowledge, I was satisfied that he was capable for the job.

One issue I did not discuss with him, however, was motor maintenance. I beleive the 2240 drivers were made with ceramic magnets which, according to the stuff I have read here, generally do not loose strength with age or use.

Question: When rebuilding the cores, is it a standard practice to re-magnitize a ceramic motor, or is this a standard practice only for Alnico-V motors?

Thanks...
    Eric Wayne and Consolidated Audio, Pompton lakes, NJ.

As 4313 said, it doesn't apply to your drivers, and the 2240, and 2245, share the same motor/basket assembly.

Once reconed as a 2245, it IS a 2245.
    scottyj

Ok - thanks Scott - I assume you have used Eric before with good results.

I keep reading about changes to the Brooklyn waterfront area in the NY Post. Is your business located there?

I would like to visit your shop and take in the sound someday; we are located in Harstdale, NY. - you must be closed until spring 09; right?

Thread Information