Thread: I need the largest speaker wall mount. Largest Home Theatre System All 100% Altec!

I need the largest speaker wall mount. Largest Home Theatre System All 100% Altec!

Hi All,

Please see the below photos of my Altec home theatre system. The components are all original Altec except the cabinets on the wall. I also have in the back of the room two Earthquake cabinets loaded with altec lansing 18 inch woofers!

I currently have in my home theatre several 604's and 511B horn with 515B woofers in very large cabinets custom cabinets. (7.1 sur sound totally 7 cabinets) ( 30 inches tall, 30 inches wide, 28 inches deep) These cabinets are up on the wall using angle iron... However I want to mount the speaker on the wall and angle it down to the center of the room.

What kind of mounts would you use considering these cabinets loaded weight 120-140 lbs?

Thanks for the help!!

I have attached some photos of the shop... its messy but this is how i currently have the speakers mounted

-G
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Why not custom make some shelfs that can handle the weight.

-TimC
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

To get the aiming you want, I would not use brackets- I'd fly them by chains or cable, after making damn sure that the cabinets are reinforced for flying overhead and the ceiling attachments can handle the weight.

And for that kind of weight & size, I wouldn't trust the angle brackets as I see them in those pics.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    To get the aiming you want, I would not use brackets- I'd fly them by chains or cable, after making damn sure that the cabinets are reinforced for flying overhead and the ceiling attachments can handle the weight.

And for that kind of weight & size, I wouldn't trust the angle brackets as I see them in those pics.

je
    I miss quoted the weight... Actual weight is about 80 LBS. Sorry for the mistake. These speakers on the wall have been up for over 2 years... Hopefully they dont come crashing down! hahaha Each speaker is mounted into a 8x8 post that is behind the wall then the outer angles are hiting 2x4's.

Thanks for the tips!

-G

Quote Originally Posted by Progneta View Post
    I miss quoted the weight... Actual weight is about 80 LBS. Sorry for the mistake. These speakers on the wall have been up for over 2 years... Hopefully they dont come crashing down! hahaha Each speaker is mounted into a 8x8 post that is behind the wall then the outer angles are hiting 2x4's.

Thanks for the tips!

-G
    Best way to mount speakers is to do it like the studios do - mount them within the wall, with the face flush mounted, and build the support for them into the wall proper!
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...1&postcount=71

and see more on his home theatre construction details here -
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ht=UREI&page=5
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for the tips!

-G
    Yep, I hope they don't come crashing down, too. For their weight and the fact that most of the weight looks to be forward of those short angle brackets, you'd at least want longer, cross-braced angle brackets (and good lags that are also spec'd for that kind of weight). I'd also put multiple brackets under the cabs, never just one.

je

Yep, I hope they don't come crashing down, too. For their weight and the fact that most of the weight looks to be forward of those short angle brackets, you'd at least want longer, cross-braced angle brackets (and good lags that are also spec'd for that kind of weight). I'd also put multiple brackets under the cabs, never just one.

je
    Thanks! I think what we are going to do is fly them through the ceiling. Im going to climb up in the ceiling and bolt through the joist (2x4s) with several steel cables so I can position them down to the listener... Does anyone have any pics of altecs being hung from ceiling like in an auditorium or arena? Ive been looking and cant find and my altec manuals are boxed up in attic...dont feel like going up just yet.

Thanks! I think what we are going to do is fly them through the ceiling. Im going to climb up in the ceiling and bolt through the joist (2x4s) with several steel cables so I can position them down to the listener... Does anyone have any pics of altecs being hung from ceiling like in an auditorium or arena? Ive been looking and cant find and my altec manuals are boxed up in attic...dont feel like going up just yet.
    Don't know about OEM Altecs, but since those aren't OEM you should check their structure to make sure they can be flown safely. Might be safest to cradle them somehow, with cabling running underneath them.

Check also how the drivers are installed, especially if front-loaded.

:dont-know

je

little off the question but what kind of system powers your speakers

It looks to me like:

1) With a small amount of rearranging you could lower all of the speakers a foot and a half or so, and

2) turn all your cabinets over (all but the one with the coaxial centered vertically) so that the treble drivers are closer to ear level. This will not sound unnatural, and is often done in studios.

I'm not clear where your sitting position is for watching movies, although the dog seems comfortable, but with the treble closer to ear level you may not feel the need to do the much more complicated job of hanging the speakers at various angles. In fact, I'm not so sure you would want to sit on axis of all of those horns. A little off axis of the horns the sound is probably a little more balanced.

The hanger arrangement you have now is probably ok as long as everything is bolted securely, but a little more depth on the box and on the wall certainly would not hurt.

I've owned a pair of VOTTs for 30 yeas and I would guess that you could never hang them for two years against the wall with smallish angle iron into 2 x 4s.

Wow, you are the man!

Tell you dog not to sit under the big Altecs!

Cool Room! where's Ashley, he'd have a ball in this space!

je
    Precarious!
    Sage advice, & maybe even one backet on top, you never know! BALANCE=STABILITY

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Tell you dog not to sit under the big Altecs!
    Just Play Music.

Aw Jeez Fred

And here was me thinking that was your re-model

Seasons greetings to all

YOu gots a sharp eye Mac, made it taller, longer, shorter & wider
    Just Play Music.

If you really have an 8x8 centered behind each speaker I would solidly reinforce the cabinets on the interior, pull the drivers and lag bolt the backs to the wall, works for kitchen cabinets everywhere.
    Gets rid of all the unattractive hardware as well.

Harry

Thread Information