Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: L300 found a new home

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I never said it WASN'T stupid - I've seen racks like that posted here, I was just less insulting than you are about it ...

Why do you take an argumentative tone if you agree with me??
    Sorry if you understood it this way. Not my intention.

yestarday had some more listening with a Krell and although the bass is definitely tighter - and this handy for "overbassed" recordings in my a little "bass boomy" room - the difference is not that huge.
    the downside of SS sound doesn't worth it.
    in dynamics - across all freq ranges - i don't think Krell had advantages....

also tried to amp only woofers by Krell - and IMO the over integration was not perfect.
    sounds to me that the woofer is going up quite high - 500 Hz even maybe 800 Hz and this why midarnge and midbass doesn't integrate well with different types of amp.

at whar freqs L300's xover crosses the drivers?

next thing i will put KT90 tubes into the Citation - this should give it more juice.....

I ran Altecs VOTT for 30 years using various amps that did not exceed 100WPC and I did not perceive a need for additional power. They are very efficient - rated at 98db @1 watt at 3 feet, however.

With systems rated at 95db or less, however, you really need much more power IMO.

I've owned several tube amps which I always considered inferior to SS. Can you refresh my memory and tell me why some folks prefer tube amps?

I know the THD and IMD for tubes is higher...

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I ran Altecs VOTT for 30 years using various amps that did not exceed 100WPC and I did not perceive a need for additional power. ..
    I know people that has blown "the shit of of the Klipcs" many times, but those are people that put on a recording, leaving the room, and listen at maybe 100m (300 yards). I guess it is similar to the Altec. They don't handle much power.

i'm going to tackle worn out cosmetics by building new front panels.

those also will be a bit absorbing and hopefully reduce "wide front buffle" influence and improve imaging.

the pattern is ready
    Attached Images Attached Images  

which fabrication date ?

Quote Originally Posted by Croc999 View Post
    is it possible to tell by serial numbers (s/n’s 22194+22195) what year / version are they?
    Hi Croc,

your systems with the numbers 22194 + 22195 are from 1979.

I fed them into our registry now......hope this is ok....?

you can find them here:

www.prpr.no/lhs
    User: lhs
    PW: lhs2007

regards

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

L 300

Quote Originally Posted by Croc999 View Post
    yestarday had some more listening with a Krell and although the bass is definitely tighter - and this handy for "overbassed" recordings in my a little "bass boomy" room - the difference is not that huge.
    the downside of SS sound doesn't worth it.
    in dynamics - across all freq ranges - i don't think Krell had advantages....

also tried to amp only woofers by Krell - and IMO the over integration was not perfect.
    sounds to me that the woofer is going up quite high - 500 Hz even maybe 800 Hz and this why midarnge and midbass doesn't integrate well with different types of amp.

at whar freqs L300's xover crosses the drivers?

Try a Mcintosh Amp with 300 Watts per Side.If you like Tubeamp sound may be thats it for because Mcintosh build the Amps with Outputtransformer like Tubeamps.So you the Sound from Tubes wth the Control from Transistor.I also like the Sound from Mcintosh Preamps.The best Match with the Amps from .

next thing i will put KT90 tubes into the Citation - this should give it more juice.....
    Try it

Tubes

Would some one explain to me why some people enjoy tube amps?

As a past owner of many tube amps, I just don't understand this.

They like the sound, what else?

I have often wondered about the same myself. The only reason I have come up with is that it is the same when stereo became available, a lot of people meant that the sound now was ruined, and continued to play mono. Not many of them left today.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    They like the sound, what else?
    More importantly, their visual impact.

Because tube gear can sound really good with high performance, high efficiency loudspeaker systems. Some guys run solid state amps on the bottom end (direct radiators) and tube amps on the top end (compression drivers).

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Some guys run solid state amps on the bottom end (direct radiators) and tube amps on the top end (compression drivers).
    Yeah baby!!

Hi Croc,

Are these your previously owned LS3/5a now on the auction site?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130285205863

Seems in the background there is another pair of L300's, did your friend have two pair? The lenses are with those, wonder what happened to your original lenses.

BTW, how are things working out now with your L300's?

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

The revival of this thread, and the side-bar posts it provoked, sent me looking for something I'd read in a Crown amplifier applications manual a while ago:
    1.1.1 Fan-Assisted Models
    Don’t use vented spacer panels between amps in a rack.
    Because of the airflow technology we use in our amps, it is best to stack multiple amplifiers on top of each other with no space between.
    The amplifier draws fresh air into the front of the amp and exhausts it either out the sides and into the rack, or out the back depending on the model. We want the hot air that’s in the rack to vent out the sides or back—not the front. If any of these amplifiers are spaced apart with vented panels, some of the preheated air will recycle to the front of the rack and back into the amplifier. The result is loss of thermal headroom. If you choose to place the amplifiers with space between them, then use solid panels between them, not vented panels.

1.1.2 Convection-Only Models
    When racking convection-cooled amplifiers, it is best to leave one rack-space between amps because this type of amplifier needs space to radiate the heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Stacking hot gear on top of itself may be stupid - but I see pictures of racked up gear with no airspace every day! There is a REASON I made that comment.

Depends on what the definition of "well constructed' is ...
    with a high end budget, that's probably true, but in the real world, most folks have to consider tradeoffs and won't have access to Pass amps and such, so your "best case absolutes" don't apply ...

Lots of gear has fans to improve airflow, it may not make it "well constructed", it may be overkill or overdesigned, but it can't hurt when buyers may be "less technical".

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The revival of this thread, and the side-bar posts it provoked, sent me looking for something I'd read in a Crown amplifier applications manual a while ago:
    Okay, so the CHEAP STUFF that need fans should be jammed together tightly -
    but with the better designed gear it can be advantageous to space them ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information