Thread: Monitor vs E20

Monitor vs E20

I currently own the JBL Monitor from the Venue Series but I was wondering that is my speakers an upgrade from the JBL E20 from the Northridge E Series?

The reason I' am asking this is since the Venue Series came out after the Northridge E Series so I assumed that something has gotten better on the Venue Series. I just wanted to know if my JBL Monitor speakers is overall a better speaker than the E20.

Quote Originally Posted by lcswoosh05 View Post
    The reason I' am asking this is since the Venue Series came out after the Northridge E Series so I assumed that something has gotten better on the Venue Series. I just wanted to know if my JBL Monitor speakers is overall a better speaker than the E20.
    For all intents and purposes, they are very similar but the E20 is a better quality unit due mostly to materials and construction quality.

The Venue series is JBL's current value/mass market line and doesn't represent true JBL quality very well.

You can't assume a new line is always better, there are good and bad products at all price points from all manufacturers.

Question

So there isn't anything that the Venue Series is better? Are you saying that the Northridge E series is a step up from the Venue Series? I mean the specs on the speakers look the same and actualy I see some of the Venue Series has better specs compaired to the older JBL Series like the Tour and the Balcony. The Tour's frequency response is from 70hz to 20kHz and the JBL N24 is from 75hz to 20kHz. Also the Balcony is from 65hz to 20kHz. The E10 is from 75hz to 20kHz. Anyways the point is that I see that the Venue Series has improved the specs from the past series but is the Venue Series really not as good as the past series?

I have dealt with Monitors (E20's) and Balcony's (E10's). As you know they are essentially the same design - same basic enclosure type, driver arrangement, etc. But if you have a Venue monitor and a E20 in-hand, it is fairly obvious where the Balcony's fabrication quality is lower. Sharp edges vs. rounded, laminate finish quality, etc. I haven't dealt with new for new, but I suspect you could see the cost reductions in packing materials and documentation as well. Minor changes like this are not insignificant when you are trying to sell product at Best Buy.

A 5Hz difference in low frequency response (in these examples) doesn't mean much of anything at all, as they are essentially the same speaker. In this case the main detriment is really in build quality.

My point isn't that the E20 wouldn't necessarily be a sound quality upgrade compared to a Venue monitor, but your original question asked which was a better speaker, and imho, the E20 definitely is. Maybe not enough to justify changing from one to the other, but it is definitely a higher quality unit overall.

The N and S series preceded the E series, and it's very arguable that the S series was better than the E series, which is better than the Venue series. Do the differences matter to you? JBL's engineering and marketing departments hope not, but enthusiasts have a way of picking through the changes. Mainstream costing competition always drives cost cutting, and it is the reason why you can't always assume a new product is always better. Sometimes it is, but it is definitely not consistent in this hobby.

Well I guess I could ask this but if the Venue Series isn't an upgrade from the older E series then what was the reason JBL made the Venue Series after the E Series? Did they basicaly make the sound better on the Venue Series but the built isn't as good as the E Series? I' am just wondering and learning about this.

I mean seriously why would JBL make something that isn't good as the older models like the E Series unless they are trying to make more lower priced speakers for people that can't afford the high end JBL's. Basicaly I need to know is what is the real reason that JBL made the Venue Series is they are not built as good as the E Series? Or is that that is has a trade off like example the sound is better on the Venue Series but the E Series are build more durable to last longer.

I' am guessing no one knows the answer to this question I was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by lcswoosh05 View Post
    Basicaly I need to know is what is the real reason that JBL made the Venue Series is they are not built as good as the E Series?
    I think you know——and got——your answer. It may not be the one you wanted. When your marketing target is volume sales at big-box discounters, then even saving a nickel a speaker helps your bottom end. And when your company is driven by shareholder return rather than engineering excellence, every nickel you save impacts your bottom line as well as your job security.

We're damn lucky someone at JBL still feels that research and development of high-end systems still has a place at the company——even if that place is in Japan. As for what JBL chooses to sell at retail outlets, don't look for each successive model to be an improvement in any way that benefits you other than keeping the cost down, and profits up.

Thread Information