Thread: SUB: 2235H vs 2242H?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SUB: 2235H vs 2242H?

Morning, All,

Yesterday, I posted a few questions in a thread that Peter posted here, regarding subwoofers. I decided to move the basic questions into their own thread, so that more folks might see them, and I would appreciate your thoughts on them, please.

Yesterday morning, I ran performance graphs on what I might expect to see from the 2235H, and the 2242H, when used as a subwoofer. I've been trying to decide what to do in order to add a tiny bit more bottom end to our system, especially with watching movies with cannon fire, and other such stuff! After looking at the graphs, it most certainly appears that the 2235H, in a proper enclosure, should out-perform a 2242H, all other things being equal, at least in bass extension.

So, the main questions are these:

- What is the advantage, if any, of using a single 18" JBL 2242H as a subwoofer vs a pair of JBL 2235H's? In his thread, Peter wrote that he had just acquired a "new" subwoofer, which contained a single 2241H, and that it "sounded nearly identical to my B460". 2242H and 2241H are very similar, aren't they? Hummmm...............??????

But.......

- Won't a pair of 15's out-perform a single 18?

- Won't the 15's be more nimble than the 18, being a bit smaller, with less mass?

- Won't a pair of 15's move more air than a single 18?

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Friends. I know that some of you find this kind of stuff old hat, but I'd rather ask, then just "suppose and assume". Take, care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

consider displacement and power handling over diameter.

then consider how low and how loud. 2242 will move a -lot- of air.

also might check Xmech-limit on the units you're comparing... on the
    2235 I seem to recall it not being a lot more than Xmax (which is more
    like a 10% THD spec if I understand how it's used).

comparo of 4435-twin 2234 complement vs 2245 has been discussed/
    debated/opinion-o-fied... should be search-able.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Morning, All,

Yesterday, I posted a few questions in a thread that Peter posted here, regarding subwoofers. I decided to move the basic questions into their own thread, so that more folks might see them, and I would appreciate your thoughts on them, please.

Yesterday morning, I ran performance graphs on what I might expect to see from the 2235H, and the 2242H, when used as a subwoofer. I've been trying to decide what to do in order to add a tiny bit more bottom end to our system, especially with watching movies with cannon fire, and other such stuff! After looking at the graphs, it most certainly appears that the 2235H, in a proper enclosure, should out-perform a 2242H, all other things being equal, at least in bass extension.

So, the main questions are these:

- What is the advantage, if any, of using a single 18" JBL 2242H as a subwoofer vs a pair of JBL 2235H's? In his thread, Peter wrote that he had just acquired a "new" subwoofer, which contained a single 2241H, and that it "sounded nearly identical to my B460". 2242H and 2241H are very similar, aren't they? Hummmm...............??????

But.......

- Won't a pair of 15's out-perform a single 18?

- Won't the 15's be more nimble than the 18, being a bit smaller, with less mass?

- Won't a pair of 15's move more air than a single 18?

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Friends. I know that some of you find this kind of stuff old hat, but I'd rather ask, then just "suppose and assume". Take, care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Well, if you would like to try, I wouldn't be adverse to trading a pair of 2235s for the two 2405s I saw in one of your pics.

Hey, Guys,

Thanks, very much, for your thoughts on my questions. Much appreciated!

Grumpy, I'll do some searching on the things you suggested and see where all that went.

Todd, thanks, very much, for the offer, but in the same photo with the 2405's, you may recall seeing a pair of 2235H's, too! So, I'm all fixed up in that regard, as my L300's have 2235H's, too, and I dearly love them! I'm not much of a "trader", in any case, and usually keep my JBL stuff, "just in case I should ever need it"!

Since I already have a pair of 2235H's, and my 2242H, and since I have those 4333 cabinets that Grumpy sent my way (thanks, Grumpy!), I will just go ahead and build an 8ft3 box for the 2242H, do the work on the 4333 cabinets to make them useable, and see which subwoofer sounds best to me. Time is the problem, and the onset of winter, up here in the mountains. It would be great to get all this done soon, but I fear that it will have to wait until the New Year. Fun, nonetheless!! Thanks, again, Gentlemen, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi, All,

From what I've just read, Drew Daniels posted plans for a four-subwoofer system, using the 2242H in each one. Unless I've done it wrong, it looks like he used an 11.39ft3 box for these woofers, too. Hummm...... I wonder what he used for a tuning frequency? Does anyone know? More food for thought, that's for sure. I can't even IMAGINE a home system using FOUR 2242H subwoofers, though!!! YOWSERS!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Looks like he targeted low freq and traded off some efficiency
    (tuning in the 24-25Hz range), a bit of power handling,
    and tolerated a bit more group delay below 30Hz...

Something near a -6dB extended bass shelf alignment.

For inside use, I think I'd target a smaller box and let the room help...
    But I haven't built it, so this is just so much bench-racing.

Doc,
    You didn't specify in the other thread that you thinking of using TWO 2235H's....you simply said that graphs indicated that the 2235 was the better performer. So, to me, it appeared we were talking one driver vs. one driver. Using double 2235H's would certainly put a different spin on things. But, it appears you've made your decision...and I think it's a good one. I don't think you can go wrong with a single 2242H in an 8 cu.ft. enclosure. You'll have sonic bliss, I am sure!

Peter
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

Thread Information