Morning, All,

Yesterday, I posted a few questions in a thread that Peter posted here, regarding subwoofers. I decided to move the basic questions into their own thread, so that more folks might see them, and I would appreciate your thoughts on them, please.

Yesterday morning, I ran performance graphs on what I might expect to see from the 2235H, and the 2242H, when used as a subwoofer. I've been trying to decide what to do in order to add a tiny bit more bottom end to our system, especially with watching movies with cannon fire, and other such stuff! After looking at the graphs, it most certainly appears that the 2235H, in a proper enclosure, should out-perform a 2242H, all other things being equal, at least in bass extension.

So, the main questions are these:

- What is the advantage, if any, of using a single 18" JBL 2242H as a subwoofer vs a pair of JBL 2235H's? In his thread, Peter wrote that he had just acquired a "new" subwoofer, which contained a single 2241H, and that it "sounded nearly identical to my B460". 2242H and 2241H are very similar, aren't they? Hummmm...............??????

But.......

- Won't a pair of 15's out-perform a single 18?

- Won't the 15's be more nimble than the 18, being a bit smaller, with less mass?

- Won't a pair of 15's move more air than a single 18?

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Friends. I know that some of you find this kind of stuff old hat, but I'd rather ask, then just "suppose and assume". Take, care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc