Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Westlakes

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    The woofs are likely "behind" the rest using the passive crossover - this might help a teeny bit, but I'll bet it's still not a good time-alignment. It will be interesting to see what the DEQX sez - it does time-alignment, yes?
    These do come in several variations depending on the crossover setup. The inner edges of the 2122H cavity use defraction rings dependent on the depth of the baffle. Yes, the Deqx does time align but I am sure that will not be needed.

I have a picture somewhere showing the driver without the defraction ring somewhere. If I find it I will post it.

Ken

. . . . The woofs are likely "behind" the rest using the passive crossover - this might help a teeny bit, but I'll bet it's still not a good time-alignment. It will be interesting to see what the DEQX sez - it does time-alignment, yes?
    Speakers are described as lacking passive crossovers. If digital xo's do frequency division w/o inductance lag and capacitance lead, then the little axial offsets would be worth addressing, eyh?.

David

Without Ring

Here we go..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cosmetetically, its much more attractive with the ring.

Ahh, Westlakes, Sunshine, Beautiful Home with Beautiful veiw, Down Mexico way!

What a life!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Speakers are described as lacking passive crossovers. If digital xo's do frequency division w/o inductance lag and capacitance lead, then the little axial offsets would be worth addressing, eyh?.

David
    Hi Dave

This is beyond my pay grade......I know they sound fantastic. I had the option of using the HRX crossover but after my experience with the Deqx units on the HR1......yum

Speakers are described as lacking passive crossovers.
    Yeah, but Ken's starter post suggested they are available with a passive crossover, so I was guessing Mr. Westlake made the physical offsets to the MF and UHF (probably HF, too - would shorting the lips protruding from the baffle...) to help.

If digital xo's do frequency division w/o inductance lag and capacitance lead, then the little axial offsets would be worth addressing, eyh?.
    That there is a damned good point. If these were intended for a passive network, or something non-digital, going with a DEQX could have the unintended consequence of miss-aligning things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    Yes, the Deqx does time align but I am sure that will not be needed.
    Boy, I'd sure want to see how they "line up". It is something I've long wanted to test on the 4345's - curiousity? It is damned important in SR - when we get things time-aligned the improvements in coherence are, well, audible.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Cosmetetically, its much more attractive with the ring.

Ahh, Westlakes, Sunshine, Beautiful Home with Beautiful veiw, Down Mexico way!

What a life!
    Well darn it Scottie, someone has to do it....

Nice to see you..

Ken

Well darn it Scottie, someone has to do it....

Nice to see you..

Ken
    Nice to see you too, and see you doing well!

Hey, your right, someone DOES have to do it, might as well be you.

I am also doing MORE to my room, I'm diigin the NEW Crown amps, and high power JBL 18,s, and TAD 15,s, wicked, AWESOME bottom end.

BTW, do you use that tube amp on the Westlakes? If so, tell me about that sound?

scottyj

2403 set back too

He says different setups depending on crossover.

These do come in several variations depending on the crossover setup. . . . .
    Anyway, they look like an interesting pair of speakers well within the iconoclastic Westlake tradition.

I think it may serve dual purposes

One of better offset alignment with the compression driver crossover function and more particularly to control nearfield reflections that would otherwise occur from the 2122H wave bouncing of the bottom of the horn flare.

I had this problem a while back using the 2397 and even the 2344 bum horn with the 2122H.

This is one of the reasons I went back to the o'l fog horns.

The dispersion of this driver is quite broad in the midrange and anything of physical proximity +- 90 degrees with the front baffle causes irregularites in the response which are quite audible.

The time alignment with the woofer is relatively unimportant at 300 or so hertz with steep filters the small distances involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The time alignment with the woofer is relatively unimportant at 300 or so hertz with steep filters the small distances involved.
    It's not only about the areas of possible overlap, but about coherence of the acoustic response.

The woof doesn't go up that far, I'd guess. The issue, as you know, is getting all four elements time-aligned. No doubt the woofs are "late"; proper delay (and phasing) of the other elements will provide an incredibly coherent response for the listener. This is a pretty exciting project, done right.

Its 400hz

It's not only about the areas of possible overlap, but about coherence of the acoustic response.

The woof doesn't go up that far, I'd guess.
    The design calls for crossing over at 400hz. I admit that is quite high.

xover points

400hz
    1.8khz
    8.5khz

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Nice to see you too, and see you doing well!

I am also doing MORE to my room, I'm diigin the NEW Crown amps, and high power JBL 18,s, and TAD 15,s, wicked, AWESOME bottom end.

BTW, do you use that tube amp on the Westlakes? If so, tell me about that sound?

Scott

I was in your neck of the woods and almost looked you up this summer.

The photo I posted of the walnut cabs is NOT my setup.....sorry for the confusion. I posted it cause thats all I have so far. Well, that and a whopping invoice

I should have the speakers in late January

I use a pair of Marsh 400s amps at this time. I will definately be on the prowl for some small Boulder amps again. They are stunning on the mid and high end. I would not waste the money driving woofers with Boulders again. The Crown K2 performed better in that department. I can't believe I did not try a K2 on my HR1's until a month before selling them.

Ken

Congratulation. T am dying to see pictures
    Regards Stephane

Scott

I was in your neck of the woods and almost looked you up this summer.

The photo I posted of the walnut cabs is NOT my setup.....sorry for the confusion. I posted it cause thats all I have so far. Well, that and a whopping invoice

I should have the speakers in late January

I use a pair of Marsh 400s amps at this time. I will definately be on the prowl for some small Boulder amps again. They are stunning on the mid and high end. I would not waste the money driving woofers with Boulders again. The Crown K2 performed better in that department. I can't believe I did not try a K2 on my HR1's until a month before selling them.

Ken
    You should have looked me up, you would enjoy riding around, and the music and sound too, I think its awesome, and get many compliments.

I can't agree more, Crown makes the best sounding low end, IMO.

scottyj

Thread Information