Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashly XR1001 Active Crossover

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    hmm...that guy looks kinder familiar...... If he had a glass of Merlot in his hand, it would be a no-brainer...and, if so, I might suggest it was Bo teaching a new dance step called the "Funky Chicken"...
    Zactly.

Looks like Rich has a thingy for those 9XXX ?

Hello
    The Ashly crossovers have what they call a quasi balanced output. A single ended line amp with the impedance balanced across the + & - of the balanced output.
    Does not present a problem with 99% of equipment that they would be driving.
    Other equipment does that same thing. You would think another line driver would not cost that much to do full differential outputs.
    I guess that's why accounts are part of the R&D departments!!!

Mike Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Hello
    The Ashly crossovers have what they call a quasi balanced output. A single ended line amp with the impedance balanced across the + & - of the balanced output.
    Does not present a problem with 99% of equipment that they would be driving.
    Other equipment does that same thing. You would think another line driver would not cost that much to do full differential outputs.
    I guess that's why accounts are part of the R&D departments!!!

Mike Caldwell
    Makes no sense to me either. A couple of pesos for another opamp and related stuff.....

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    ...we reversed the woofer polarity @ 24 db 290 htz. We saw that big bloody hole.
    Not sure it wasn't there before - see...

- 1st image = uncorrected, entire FR. Pretty brutal uneven response. Big room reaction to the LF. Muddy character to sound.
    - 2nd image = LF alone, uncorrected. This is where we thought to try a steeper slope
    - 3rd image = MF-F-UHF alone, corrected.
    - 4th image = trial correction, LF out-of-phase with Mid-bass (note the cancellation near the crossover point)

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    ...I'm now flat as a pancake. We talked about how my ear needs retraining after years of DJ curve. I have one of the three profiles set up . I can muck about with the other two next weekend when I add the unmentionables . I do, ofcourse have the bypass for the moments I miss the room. I'm amazed at how much info was hidden behind the room interference.
    As I warned, it takes some getting used to. Years of listening to a big boost bass curve is a difficult to get away from. I found initially there was no tonality or definition from the 2245H; after, there was remarkably honest representation of say the upright bass and in-balance with the rest. It was a remarkable improvement (to me... ).

hmm... I might suggest it was Bo teaching a new dance step called the "Funky Chicken"...
    Now that is funny... Stepping across a mess of cable, fighting off serious jetlag after travelling from Johannesburg in coach and not getting any nap!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Here's the nearly final correction - compare the the first image, Green trace...

I gave back a bit more LF for Rich's taste, and was still whacking those moles at 450Hz, 1kHz, etc. The MF-HF-UH here was not final, as we swapped out the 2435HPL (sitting atop the cabinet) and stuck the 2425's (w/ 2307) back into the signal path. I was MUCH happier with the tonal balance of the 2425's - they were smooth and very good/natural sounding.

Rich is really passionate about these cabinets. That same passion that shows for his painting (which I did not take time to see enough of! ).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

I was MUCH happier with the tonal balance of the 2425's - they were smooth and very good/natural sounding.

Were you! Bugger.

So are you saying the 9800's are trash or are Rich ear's in need of some TLC?

Like I said.

Bo,

I thought you were coming to sharpen my pencil ! ( that does'nt sound right)
    but I'll leave in for Ian to play with.

I would just like to thank you again for your kindness . The meal was a nice treat. The starving artist as always in his garret with ... to quote Storm " THE BEST SPEAKERS IN THE WORLD"

a grateful limey

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Were you! Bugger.
    Definately, without a doubt.

So are you saying the 9800's are trash...
    Dunno - they simply don't work for me in this configuration.

After some tweaking we had a good EQ curve on them - a great "looking" response. But they sounded honky - distinct horn character. Contrast that to the 2425/2307 where there was absolutely none of that (in honesty, the 2425/2307 was a completely pleasant surprise). The 2435HPL/9800's were too out-front - it was impossible to get them to balance with the rest of the 4345. They were simply wrong.

So, other than all that and their honky sound, they were great!

(FWIW, I don't know why this stuff is here - maybe I should migrate it to the Dinner in England thread...?)
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Yep it will work fine.

Somewhere in another thread I simulated the LR 24 db filters in a 4345 model.

edit

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...2&postcount=73

If the model is to be believed (using physical baffle and driver locations) it is better standard filter than most other non std customised filter options.

There is a a tiltiing of the vertical polar response in the general crossover overlap (250-600 hz) that causes a depression on axis at normal seated postion using the 18 db filters. (the sympton is the mids sound a bit lean and cool....you dont want that)

This is minimised if not eleminated with the LR 24 db filters

The thing to remember (and I sent an email to Rich about this ) is you must reverse the polarity of the high pass amp outputs going into the 4345 when you use LR 24 db slopes.

The reason (its very to screw this up even on a good day) internally the phase of the 2122/ horn/slot is inverted to match the passive 2nd order filters.

With the 18 db filters its not so critical but with the LR filters the woofer must be in pass with the puppy (mid cone ) or you will have a BIG null at the crossover point.

The Ashly crossover does has a nifty adjustment that alters the filter Q factor at the crossover point so the can be a bump or a dip and it does make a difference. In any case follow the above for best results.

Hope this clarifies your enquiry.

The Doctor

Hi,

I just saw this. I find setting up these 4 ways to be confusing. Im gonna confuse more lol.

how do i hook up a 24 db marchand 2 way and the giskard-based cc passive networks up top? bonus question is that i have tad drivers in there which are "reverse" polarity from the rest of the jbl stuff in there. also, is the 2235h im using in there modern enough that they switched to conventional red is plus and black is minus polarity? sorry to confuse....

sorry bo, you kinda gave me an aswer before, but this seems like a new twist here.

thanks

Interesting comment Bo, regarding the foghorns. I am using 2426H/2307 as a first step inside my new, modular "J-pods" with surprisingly good results, too. Ti diaphragms, untreated.

After reading all the stuff here over the years about the Ti's, I was expecting much worse.

My 4345's with 2421/2307 are still down so I can't do any direct comparisons at the moment.

RIP 2009
    Bo - what is the significance of the red curves in your captures?

John

Thanks Ian, I did forget to mention this. It has been a while since I went through the set up over here.

Mike, FYI: the Ashly XR1001 does not have balanced output, although it does have XLR connections and the input is fully balanced. I found this out the hard way....
    The XR Series crossovers all feature 24 dB per octave filters, infinitely variable crossover frequency and response, as well as both 1/4" TRS phone jacks and XLR connectors for all inputs and outputs. A peak overload indicator monitors all critical points in the circuit to ensure low-distortion operation. A recessed switch on the front panel with an LED indicator allows for either Normal or Divide by Ten frequency selection. The XR-1001 is a stereo two-way or mono three-way crossover. Dimensions: 19" W x 1.75" H x 6" D.
    • 24 dB/octave slopes, 20 Hz third order high pass filter
    • Variable filter allows tuning-in Linkwitz-Riley or other filter responses
    • Output mute switches
    • Balanced inputs and outputs
    • XLR and 1/4" TRS audio connections
    • Peak overload warning LEDs
    • Five Year Worry-Free Warranty
    Maybe the new version does. ?
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    ...how do i hook up a -24 dB Marchand (active) 2 way crossover and the giskard-based cc passive networks up top?
    Standard way, I would think. Output from pre-amp goes into Marchand. Marchand Lo-pass output goes to woofs, Hi-pass goes to Giskard-based network.

...bonus question is that i have tad drivers in there which are "reverse" polarity from the rest of the jbl stuff in there.
    Unless you've adapted the signal path of the Giskard network for a non-JBL convention driver, merely connect the TAD backwards.

......also, is the 2235h im using in there modern enough that they switched to conventional red is plus and black is minus polarity?
    I don't know. My guess is "no". My grab is, the legacy polarity is unchanged by newer issue of this driver. This is confirmed from the JBL Pro website - 2235H:

Positive voltage on black terminal gives forward diaphragm motion.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    ...what is the significance of the red curves in your captures?
    That is the coherence of the measured signal, represented as %.

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    24 Maybe the new version does. ?

http://www.ashly.com/product/xr-series-2.htm

Well, I'll be darned, they sho'nuff have improved the things without changing the model number...Also feature switching power supplies, too.

Servo balanced outputs....nice

Maybe time to sell mine.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    That is the coherence of the measured signal, represented as %.
    Hmmm - 'guess I have to read up on that one...

John

Thread Information