Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashly XR1001 Active Crossover

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    £3K blimey, that’s a bundle of dosh for a (loudspeaker management system). By the way I can’t view the pdf file, I have the program to run it, its just got a few problems running at the present time.
    the Yamaha PDF views fine here,
    probably just something wrong with JBL4645's computer ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    the Yamaha PDF views fine here,
    probably just something wrong with JBL4645's computer ...
    Yes not sure what it is, but I’ll solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by L100t Owner View Post
    Before you buy, I have a Yamaha D2040 professional digital dividing network for sale. Here is some info:

Yamaha D2040

This is a Yamaha Digital Channel Divider (4 way digital X-over). The D2040's sophisticated crossover divides its stereo output into four independently programmable stereo output channels. All channels offer full audio band coverage. In addition to a programmable crossover filter, each channel of the D2040 includes a 2-band parametric equalizer, a compressor/limiter, and a digital delay with a range of 0 to 1365.313 ms (at Fs=48kHz). Up to 15 setups can be stored in internal RAM memory with the push of a button. The sound? Flawless! They are over $3,000 new!

Manual:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/signal/D2040E.pdf

Email me if you are interested.

Chris

Thanks, but im going to try to keep it simple (and inexpensive). I just want to get my biamp setup up and running!

Ashly Crossover

Found my XR-1001 very easy to set up. Love the sound.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Can one of these be used in lieu of the 5235?
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Can one of these be used in lieu of the 5235?
    Yes and no. I assume you are referring to using one with your 4345's.

The Ashly's are fourth order (24 db/8ve) LR filters. Now, if you want to match GT's recomended voltage drive in between the 2122's and 2245's it doesn't meet this criteria.

Having said that, I actually use a Marchand/DIY combination on mine that has exactly the same filter spec as the Ashly (24db/8ve). I can't hear or measure any problems. But, I have only heard the GT voltage drive as realized by the JBL internal passive network in my 4345's.

Off topic: In going from passive to active was like night and day. Frankly, I think the 4345 should have been sold in a bi-amp only version, like the 4350/55. But, I suppose the JBL marketing folks at the time wouldn't have cared for that idea.

In a nutshell, IMHO, the Ashly's are great value for the money and well built. You may well be very satisfied with them even though they don't exactly match the drive criteria and they are very reasonably priced - even if you aren't satisfied, it's not a big gamble.

I should also point out that one of the really nice things about the Ashly, Rane and other modern crossovers is that the filter design is known as a state varible. The big plus with this type of network is that both the low pass and high pass fiters darn near match up in terms of frequency and slopes. It's a big advantage over earlier designs like the JBL models.

Thank you Chas, more food for thought . Yes I was asking in ref to the 4345's, I thought this unit would work well for me with the balanced XLR's that it comes with.

Edit.
    This is what I meant to ask (beggining to understand)
    Are there other crossovers w/XLR's that match JBL' 5235 voltage drives?

Thank you Mike per below.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Thank you Chas, more food for thought . Yes I was asking in ref to the 4345's, I thought this unit would work well for me with the balanced XLR's that it comes with. Are there other crossovers that have Bal. XLR's that are (more) compatible/similar with the 5235?
    I should caution you that the Ashly's are not truly balanced at the output. But typically, it is not too important because they are usually located in close proximity to the power amps, in terms of noise pick-up by the interconnects. They do have XLR outputs in, what they call, a quasi-balanced configuration. Essentially, though, it is unbalanced.

This will drive most balanced inputs on power amps, unless the amp is fully differential from input to output. These are very rare, however.

Anyway, to answer your question, if you are looking for something that matches the JBL voltage drives, you'll have to look for a custom unit. Marchand might be able to assist you, although I am uncertain as to whether he has bal ins and outs.

Or maybe a digital unit like the DBX. I have zero experience with these. maybe someone else could chime in?

Thanks again Chas, I just found a thread on the 5235x-over that I will look into in greater detail.
    Just Play Music.

There are many pro crossovers that offer XLR inputs and outputs both fully balanced and forms there of. All will drive XLR inputs on just about any power and can do it through a couple hundred feet of proper balanced audio cable, two conductors and the shield. Some pro models both new and old would be, TDM, BSS, Rane, DBX, Klark Teknik, Ashly (or course), these companies offer both analog and digital units. The analog models from TDM, BSS and Klark Teknik have been discontinued but still available with a little looking. All would be good units.

Mike Caldwell

Yep it will work fine.

Somewhere in another thread I simulated the LR 24 db filters in a 4345 model.

edit

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...2&postcount=73

If the model is to be believed (using physical baffle and driver locations) it is better standard filter than most other non std customised filter options.

There is a a tiltiing of the vertical polar response in the general crossover overlap (250-600 hz) that causes a depression on axis at normal seated postion using the 18 db filters. (the sympton is the mids sound a bit lean and cool....you dont want that)

This is minimised if not eleminated with the LR 24 db filters

The thing to remember (and I sent an email to Rich about this ) is you must reverse the polarity of the high pass amp outputs going into the 4345 when you use LR 24 db slopes.

The reason (its very to screw this up even on a good day) internally the phase of the 2122/ horn/slot is inverted to match the passive 2nd order filters.

With the 18 db filters its not so critical but with the LR filters the woofer must be in pass with the puppy (mid cone ) or you will have a BIG null at the crossover point.

The Ashly crossover does has a nifty adjustment that alters the filter Q factor at the crossover point so the can be a bump or a dip and it does make a difference. In any case follow the above for best results.

Hope this clarifies your enquiry.

The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The thing to remember (and I sent an email to Rich about this ) is you must reverse the polarity of the high pass amp outputs going into the 4345 when you use LR 24 db slopes.
    make a difference. In any case follow the above for best results.

The Doctor
    Thanks Ian, I did forget to mention this. It has been a while since I went through the set up over here.

Mike, FYI: the Ashly XR1001 does not have balanced output, although it does have XLR connections and the input is fully balanced. I found this out the hard way....

Hi Chas,

Well its easy to forget these small but otherwise important details.

yep !

Hi Ian,
    we reversed the woofer polarity @ 24 db 290 htz. We saw that big bloody whole. What a complete and utter Gentleman and all round star .

That smaart software is a great tool.The parametric aint such a scary place either with right hand to hold. I'm now flat as a pancake. We talked about how my ear needs retraining after years of DJ curve. I have one of the three profiles set up . I can muck about with the other two next weekend when I add the unmentionables . I do, ofcourse have the bypass for the moments I miss the room. I'm amazed at how much info was hidden behind the room interference.

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hmm...that guy looks kinder familiar...... If he had a glass of Merlot in his hand, it would be a no-brainer...and, if so, I might suggest it was Bo teaching a new dance step called the "Funky Chicken"...

Thread Information