Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 157

Thread: Ashly XR1001 Active Crossover

  1. #46
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,985
    Quote Originally Posted by sdaniel
    I've got K110's under 2405's, thus the need for accuracy...
    What are you going to use the 2405 and K110 for? Will it be for hi-fi, home theater, musical instrument use?

    It seems a bit strange to bi-amp a system made up of these components. A simple passive crossover would likely give you very acceptable results.

    I have checked my Ashly and it is close enough. There is no real reason to sweat about a few hundred Hz one way or the other if you are crossing over at 6.5KHz to 7KHz which would be the lowest I'd use a 2405. If you are worried about damage to the HF driver... it won't be a problem if used correctly... if you are worried about sound quality, use your ears and don't worry to much about the printed scale. Obviously don't set it below 6KHz, but feel free to move it about to see what sounds best. Use the notch control by ear as well.

    Widget

  2. #47
    Senior Señor boputnam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    northern california
    Posts
    7,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I have checked my Ashly and it is close enough.
    That is consistent with my usage (nearly constant, as the XR1001 is racked in my roadrack and I RTA it a minimum of twice a month). Once in the "ballpark", I stop looking, merely listen and adjust to taste. Same with the other really great features on that unit.
    bo

    "Indeed, not!!"

  3. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    56

    Thanks for asking

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    What are you going to use the 2405 and K110 for? Will it be for hi-fi, home theater, musical instrument use?

    It seems a bit strange to bi-amp a system made up of these components. A simple passive crossover would likely give you very acceptable results.

    I have checked my Ashly and it is close enough. There is no real reason to sweat about a few hundred Hz one way or the other if you are crossing over at 6.5KHz to 7KHz which would be the lowest I'd use a 2405. If you are worried about damage to the HF driver... it won't be a problem if used correctly... if you are worried about sound quality, use your ears and don't worry to much about the printed scale. Obviously don't set it below 6KHz, but feel free to move it about to see what sounds best. Use the notch control by ear as well.

    Widget
    Those drivers sit atop 2225's, and comprise a stereo pair that is bi-amped. Currently, the K110s are uncrossed, and the 2405s have a cap. They have served as my primary speakers for years, and are slated to go into the home theatre. (Search for a good center channel started this whole hand wringing episode!) Over the years I have wondered if maybe they could be better, and learning that the 2405's and k110's have so little overlap drives my quest for really accurate crossovers, or more. (I'd be happy if Mr. Lansing told me to just buy the right components and build some passive crossovers)



    I would not trust my ears alone to adjust an Ashley, as I am sometimes indecisive, and would always have to fiddle with it. That bit of my character can be seen in that I asked the question about the face markings. If it says 6K, it should be 6K, darn it!



    I think I should just build good passive crossovers and relax. I do appreciate all the advice you guys give, and will accept more.

  4. #49
    Senior Señor boputnam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    northern california
    Posts
    7,007
    Quote Originally Posted by sdaniel
    If it says 6K, it should be 6K, darn it!
    We have checked our Ashlys and they are close enough - better precision could only be found in digital readouts.
    bo

    "Indeed, not!!"

  5. #50
    Senior Member JBLnsince1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    KC - land of ahhhhs
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    We have checked our Ashlys and they are close enough - better precision could only be found in digital readouts.
    My experience also.

    set the puppies, relax and enjoy. Lifes to short to constantly second quess yourself

  6. #51
    Senior Member edgewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,672
    Most all of Ashly's gear is top grade stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ashly XR crossovers are about the only analog one's available that allow adjustment of the filter type, ie. Bessel, Butterworth, Chebychev, etc. which is very cool depending on what drivers you use. The EQ's are very clean as well, and the amps are top notch, and not ridiculously expensive.

    Any audiophile would most likely be happy with this "studio caliber" road gear.

    Edgewound

  7. #52
    Senior Señor boputnam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    northern california
    Posts
    7,007
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    The EQ's are very clean as well... Any audiophile would most likely be happy with this "studio caliber" road gear.
    Yup.

    Their 31-band analogue graphic is a very acceptible, warm unit, and even though of fairly low Q, I like the filters quite a bit. Nearly top class. Their Protea 4.24 line I use for multiple monitor mixes with really great success; however I personally am not yet a fan of digital EQ for FOH.
    bo

    "Indeed, not!!"

  8. #53
    Senior Member spwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    571
    I think i am going to bag the idea of a marchand and get the ashly.

    this askly seems to do all the marchand can do and more.

  9. #54
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Oldmics

    What is the model of the JBL in the rack I can’t make it out clearly because the image is too small? Thanks.

    Merry Charismas to you.





  10. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    239

    JBL DSC 260

    I think that would be a JBL DSC 260. I also belive they were made by BSS for Jbl.


    Allen

  11. #56
    RIP 2009
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Posts
    3,790
    The one pictured is the JBL DSC280 - big difference!

    John

  12. #57
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    I think that would be a JBL DSC 260. I also belive they were made by BSS for Jbl.


    Allen
    Allen

    Cheers mate I’ll have a look around Google image now thanks.


  13. #58
    JBL 4645
    Guest


    Oh, oh, oh, that is nice wow! So it’s a (loudspeaker management system) very nice good looker as well.

    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/electronics/active.htm

  14. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    I think i am going to bag the idea of a marchand and get the ashly.

    this askly seems to do all the marchand can do and more.
    Before you buy, I have a Yamaha D2040 professional digital dividing network for sale. Here is some info:

    Yamaha D2040

    This is a Yamaha Digital Channel Divider (4 way digital X-over). The D2040's sophisticated crossover divides its stereo output into four independently programmable stereo output channels. All channels offer full audio band coverage. In addition to a programmable crossover filter, each channel of the D2040 includes a 2-band parametric equalizer, a compressor/limiter, and a digital delay with a range of 0 to 1365.313 ms (at Fs=48kHz). Up to 15 setups can be stored in internal RAM memory with the push of a button. The sound? Flawless! They are over $3,000 new!

    Manual:

    http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/signal/D2040E.pdf

    Email me if you are interested.

    Chris

  15. #60
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    £3K blimey, that’s a bundle of dosh for a (loudspeaker management system). By the way I can’t view the pdf file, I have the program to run it, its just got a few problems running at the present time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about the Ashly XR1001 Active Crossover
    By porschedpm in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 01:37 PM
  2. JBl XPL 160 and active crossover
    By glarre in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 08:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •