Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashly XR1001 Active Crossover

Quote Originally Posted by sdaniel
    I've got K110's under 2405's, thus the need for accuracy...
    What are you going to use the 2405 and K110 for? Will it be for hi-fi, home theater, musical instrument use?

It seems a bit strange to bi-amp a system made up of these components. A simple passive crossover would likely give you very acceptable results.

I have checked my Ashly and it is close enough. There is no real reason to sweat about a few hundred Hz one way or the other if you are crossing over at 6.5KHz to 7KHz which would be the lowest I'd use a 2405. If you are worried about damage to the HF driver... it won't be a problem if used correctly... if you are worried about sound quality, use your ears and don't worry to much about the printed scale. Obviously don't set it below 6KHz, but feel free to move it about to see what sounds best. Use the notch control by ear as well.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I have checked my Ashly and it is close enough.
    That is consistent with my usage (nearly constant, as the XR1001 is racked in my roadrack and I RTA it a minimum of twice a month). Once in the "ballpark", I stop looking, merely listen and adjust to taste. Same with the other really great features on that unit.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks for asking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    What are you going to use the 2405 and K110 for? Will it be for hi-fi, home theater, musical instrument use?

It seems a bit strange to bi-amp a system made up of these components. A simple passive crossover would likely give you very acceptable results.

I have checked my Ashly and it is close enough. There is no real reason to sweat about a few hundred Hz one way or the other if you are crossing over at 6.5KHz to 7KHz which would be the lowest I'd use a 2405. If you are worried about damage to the HF driver... it won't be a problem if used correctly... if you are worried about sound quality, use your ears and don't worry to much about the printed scale. Obviously don't set it below 6KHz, but feel free to move it about to see what sounds best. Use the notch control by ear as well.

Widget
    Those drivers sit atop 2225's, and comprise a stereo pair that is bi-amped. Currently, the K110s are uncrossed, and the 2405s have a cap. They have served as my primary speakers for years, and are slated to go into the home theatre. (Search for a good center channel started this whole hand wringing episode!) Over the years I have wondered if maybe they could be better, and learning that the 2405's and k110's have so little overlap drives my quest for really accurate crossovers, or more. (I'd be happy if Mr. Lansing told me to just buy the right components and build some passive crossovers)

I would not trust my ears alone to adjust an Ashley, as I am sometimes indecisive, and would always have to fiddle with it. That bit of my character can be seen in that I asked the question about the face markings. If it says 6K, it should be 6K, darn it!

I think I should just build good passive crossovers and relax. I do appreciate all the advice you guys give, and will accept more.

Quote Originally Posted by sdaniel
    If it says 6K, it should be 6K, darn it!
    We have checked our Ashlys and they are close enough - better precision could only be found in digital readouts.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    We have checked our Ashlys and they are close enough - better precision could only be found in digital readouts.
    My experience also.

set the puppies, relax and enjoy. Lifes to short to constantly second quess yourself

Most all of Ashly's gear is top grade stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ashly XR crossovers are about the only analog one's available that allow adjustment of the filter type, ie. Bessel, Butterworth, Chebychev, etc. which is very cool depending on what drivers you use. The EQ's are very clean as well, and the amps are top notch, and not ridiculously expensive.

Any audiophile would most likely be happy with this "studio caliber" road gear.

Edgewound

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    The EQ's are very clean as well... Any audiophile would most likely be happy with this "studio caliber" road gear.
    Yup.

Their 31-band analogue graphic is a very acceptible, warm unit, and even though of fairly low Q, I like the filters quite a bit. Nearly top class. Their Protea 4.24 line I use for multiple monitor mixes with really great success; however I personally am not yet a fan of digital EQ for FOH.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I think i am going to bag the idea of a marchand and get the ashly.

this askly seems to do all the marchand can do and more.

JBL 4645
    Oldmics

What is the model of the JBL in the rack I can’t make it out clearly because the image is too small? Thanks.

Merry Charismas to you.

JBL DSC 260

I think that would be a JBL DSC 260. I also belive they were made by BSS for Jbl.

Allen

RIP 2009
    The one pictured is the JBL DSC280 - big difference!

John

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    I think that would be a JBL DSC 260. I also belive they were made by BSS for Jbl.

Allen
    Allen

Cheers mate I’ll have a look around Google image now thanks.

JBL 4645

Oh, oh, oh, that is nice wow! So it’s a (loudspeaker management system) very nice good looker as well.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/electronics/active.htm

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    I think i am going to bag the idea of a marchand and get the ashly.

this askly seems to do all the marchand can do and more.
    Before you buy, I have a Yamaha D2040 professional digital dividing network for sale. Here is some info:

Yamaha D2040

This is a Yamaha Digital Channel Divider (4 way digital X-over). The D2040's sophisticated crossover divides its stereo output into four independently programmable stereo output channels. All channels offer full audio band coverage. In addition to a programmable crossover filter, each channel of the D2040 includes a 2-band parametric equalizer, a compressor/limiter, and a digital delay with a range of 0 to 1365.313 ms (at Fs=48kHz). Up to 15 setups can be stored in internal RAM memory with the push of a button. The sound? Flawless! They are over $3,000 new!

Manual:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/signal/D2040E.pdf

Email me if you are interested.

Chris

JBL 4645
    £3K blimey, that’s a bundle of dosh for a (loudspeaker management system). By the way I can’t view the pdf file, I have the program to run it, its just got a few problems running at the present time.

Thread Information