Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashly XR1001 Active Crossover

dancing-dave

plug it in

This unit has a very basic layout and was built for the user to accentuate their favorite aspects of their music. It's a viable alternative to sonic maximizers, or more complex EQs because of it's simplicity. Since it has flat response there isn't the risk of missing out on your music.

The crossover points were chosen to cover the elements of music: bass, mid, high, so that a record that is defficient, or harsh, in any region of sound could be altered easily.

Full info: www.duo-audio.com

I've put the shameless plug in the Marketplace section with all the specs.

Hello
    What I felt always separated the good from the bad in DSP units
    was the resolution in the high frequency low level signals.
    At this time all of my system crossovers are analog and will stay that way for the forseeable future.

Scott are the Urie crossovers you have the models with the
    digital frequency display of the crossover frequency?

Mike Caldwell

My 525,s!

Originally posted by Mike Caldwell
    Hello
    What I felt always separated the good from the bad in DSP units
    was the resolution in the high frequency low level signals.
    At this time all of my system crossovers are analog and will stay that way for the forseeable future.

Scott are the Urie crossovers you have the models with the
    digital frequency display of the crossover frequency?

Mike Caldwell
    Yes, I have the tuneable Urei 525,s with the LED dispaly! The earlier ones had plug in cards to set frequency so what Im using is more versatile!

My Urei 525 also has some mods that make the unit sound ( IMHO ) even better!

I had the DSP processor, and I auditioned the NEW top of the line BSS and XTA units, and they are very versatile, but still, I can hear the DSP, and whatever I attempted to do, I could not get the DSP processors to sound natural! Now, IMHO, the DSP processors sound suffers not only in low level high frequency, but low frequency as well. Through the DSP xovers, bass sounds anemic to me, and no amount of EQ, gain, or other adjustment can restore the body to the sound! What I did discover is that the DSP units clip and distort in an ugly way when pushed hard! Even the XTA, which is god awful expensive, and highly regarded in the pro world, could not satisfy my ears! All the DSP processors sound annoying to me after extended listening pereiods.

I, too, am still analog, and will be into the forseeable future!

As a followup to the crossover saga the crossover used here was the Ashley .

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&postcount=318

The amp previously on the mids and highs was a Mac 150. There needs to be more evaluation to determine if either the amp or the crossover or both are the issue.

Either way its weird but if you raise the stakes high enough well somethings gotta give....a chain is only as strong as the weakest link(s).

Ian

Pros 2nd Choice

Pics of one of my drive racks.Unit on top is the new 428 from XTA (4 in,8 out)

Keeping this topic on the JBL note would be the trusted 280 used as a backup.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hey, Oldmics...

Looks like you're outa rack space, yet again...

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello
    How easy are the XTA's to get around on just using the front panel.
    I have committed to within a year going to DSP for mains and maybe
    monitors as well.

Thanks
    Mike Caldwell

Access of parameters thru the front controls is easy enough once you take to the "digital mindset".

Since there is no visual reference once you tweek the controls and move to the next set of adjustments (leaving the screen to read only your next setup),it can be a bit daunting at first.

Using the software is a much better visual guide as it shows all parameters (most of them) simultainously.You do have access to all parameters thru the front controls-No hidden features that require a laptop interface.

Keep me in mind if you need prices as I am a dealer for most of this kinda stuff.

Oldmics

Perhaps the thread should be titled "PA Equipment".

Non of this is "fit for the purpose" of audiophile sound reproduction.

"Perhaps the thread should be titled "PA Equipment".

Non of this is "fit for the purpose" of audiophile sound reproduction."

Well if that's the case I have to add my M552's and M553 into this mix . They work for me and are analog crossovers. I still am not comfortable with the digital variety for the time being but that may change in the future. Hard to compete with the flexabillity if that's what you need to get the job done.

Rob

What is Pro and what isn't?

JBL specifically said that the 43XX series was not for home use for about the first 10 years of that series' existence. They eventually changed their mind and I think many here believe that change was an appropriate one.

Widget

Throw a dog a Bone and what happens.......Muhahhaha

The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Non of this is "fit for the purpose" of audiophile sound reproduction.
    Yeah, too CHEAP!

[Same for pro amps....]

Ashly crossovers have my endorsement

I know this sound like I am one upping a bit. But, I recently purchased an Ashly XR4001 4 way active crossover. And I am using it for a 15”- 4 way speaker system that is Quad Amplified. From the listening test that I have made so afar, I am very impressed with Ashly crossover. There is one tip I can offer on making system adjustments. The crossover frequency displayed on the front panel is not always going to be accurate. Ashly does clearly state this fact in their user’s manual. When I was setting the crossover points on my system, I found actual over points to be slightly higher than the displayed values. So, for example, to set a crossover point at 1000 Hz, I had to set the knob so that it displayed 900 Hz. If you search this web site, you can find a link to site where you can down load some test tones. The test tones can provide you with a reference for adjusting actual crossover frequency.

That wasn't fair was it.

These devices have controls suited for PRO audio applications, not a hifi system per say. They are also built around pro audio environment and parts inside are chosen around that need.

Its a bit like comparing a mixer to a hifi preamp. Which would you rather use?

43XX...Why do they often perform badly in the home?

Thread Information