Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashly XR1001 Active Crossover

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ashly XR1001 Active Crossover

On advice of my FOH engineer, of Technical Support Consultants, Albuquerque, NM, I grabbed two of these for a trail. One in the pro gear, road rack; the other here at home with the 4345's.

The XR1001 is a 24dB/octave crossover, with adjustable crossover point. And, as GordonW was posting today, this has an adjustable "response", allowing for modifying the curve in the area of f0, while maintaining the 24dB slopes.

Results were most impressive. In the pro road gear, my EV Eliminator mains have not before sounded so clear, and so effortless. Punchier bass, and very clear highs. There, I'm using a 75Hz crossover point, with -3dB response and +3dB for the LF (subs).

At home with the 4345's, Ian and I went through A/B rounds against the 5234A. At the end, we both preferred the Ashly XR1001. The bass was more distinct, and had very good punch. There was notably much better definition right around the crossover point (290Hz). The HF was the biggest surprise, being more "open", and the horns were much less "beamy" (although they were not bad with the 5234A - but were certainly better with the XR1001). The soundstage was noticeably deeper. Overall, a wonderful, wonderful sound.

Mr. Widget got a run at the XR1001 too - with his new Clones. He too is quite impressed, and has now gone and got one. I'll let him add his commentary, but with his wooden horns the soundstage was pretty phenomenal. Really, really nice.

So, for now I've retired the 5234A, and we're running with the XR1001. If you get a chance, I'd suggest you "give it a go..." (Ian parlance... ).

http://www.ashly.com/xr-series.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bo was generous enough to let me give one of his XR1001s a whirl while I was setting up my speakers in their new (and still quite unfinished) enclosures. Unfortunately I have been dealing with a bit of a head cold and my hearing is just now coming back. I was quite impressed with it from my direct comparisons with two active crossovers that I had that were available. The crossovers that I compared it to were an old Audioarts unit and a Rane AC22. I need to configure the cables and then I will compare it to a Crown VFX-2A I also have.

Basically I didn't get the feeling that the sound was being unduly processed. The Ranes that I have always sound a bit hard and constricting. The Audioarts sounds a bit veiled and dull. I have a couple of other crossovers that I really like , but they aren't as flexible as the Ashly or any of these other three either.

Widget

Bo and Widget (or anyone who has some comments), I am contemplating getting a pair of XR-1001's to use as mono 3 ways.

Do you guys still feel the same about them?

One of my Behringers went into 120 Hz apoplectic shock (filter cap expired) after three weeks in service.

I am nervous about still using them on my beloved JBL's......
    Last edited by Chas; 09-09-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Ashly XR1001

Still thumbs up!

Widget

questions, if I may. Asley XR 1001 crossover

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Still thumbs up!

Widget

Hmm, not sure if I got this attached to the right thread, seems the subject matter has changed a bit- oh well,

Original text:

I'm tempted by everyone's enthusiasm, and past good experience with Ashley. The XR 1001 is almost in budget, and would be easyer than building my own crossovers. I wonder, however, how the user knows if the chosen frequency is the actual frequency, I mean, those little knobs just point to numbers on a printed chasis. Does someone at the factory callibrate the finished unit? Would a user who needed precision have to hook it up to an ocilloscope or meter?

I've got K110's under 2405's, thus the need for accuracy, and wouldn't need much of an amp to power 2405's, would I?

Thanks,
    SDaniel

Hey, SDaniel...

Far as we know, the accuracy of the face markings is limited to the precision with which the decals are applied.

Over on ProSound Web others have posted the face markings have a slight variance with actual. I think the reports there were that it was within +/- 5% (although mostly the markings were low biased, meaning if the desired crossover point was say 70Hz, something closer to 77 on the dial was closer). But there, and here, we suggest you check it on your RTA. That is the only way to know for certain.

And no, you do not need deliver a great deal of power to a 2405. I "hear" tube amps work really fine...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Here is a way to adjust the crossover point with a great deal of accuracy. And it does not require going out and buying any expensive test equipment. Over this last weekend, I used my old cassette desk and a few test tones that I downloaded from the Internet, to adjust my Ashley XR4001. The test tones were burned on a CD and then played through a CD player to produce the input reference frequencies. First, route the test tone that you are going to use as a crossover points into both line level inputs of the cassette desk. And then adjust the deck’s recording levels until both channels display exactly the same VU recording level. Then, unplug the cassette’s line level inputs from your preamplifier and plug them the outputs of the Ashley. One line level input should be connected to low pass output and the other to the high pass output. While, the reference crossover frequency is playing, you adjust the Frequency knob on the Ashley, until both VU meters display the exactly same VU level, relative to each other. By using the cassette desk’s VU meters as a comparator, and assuming the resolution of the VU meters are limited to a comparing a single Db. This should get you within 1/24 of an octave of being exact.

Baron030

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Hey, SDaniel...

Far as we know, the accuracy of the face markings is limited to the precision with which the decals are applied.

Over on ProSound Web others have posted the face markings have a slight variance with actual. I think the reports there were that it was within +/- 5% (although mostly the markings were low biased, meaning if the desired crossover point was say 70Hz, something closer to 77 on the dial was closer). But there, and here, we suggest you check it on your RTA. That is the only way to know for certain.

And no, you do not need deliver a great deal of power to a 2405. I "hear" tube amps work really fine...
    Thanks. I would have to rent an RTA unless they are inexpensive. It is something I'd like to have.

Quote Originally Posted by sdaniel
    I've got K110's under 2405's, thus the need for accuracy...
    What are you going to use the 2405 and K110 for? Will it be for hi-fi, home theater, musical instrument use?

It seems a bit strange to bi-amp a system made up of these components. A simple passive crossover would likely give you very acceptable results.

I have checked my Ashly and it is close enough. There is no real reason to sweat about a few hundred Hz one way or the other if you are crossing over at 6.5KHz to 7KHz which would be the lowest I'd use a 2405. If you are worried about damage to the HF driver... it won't be a problem if used correctly... if you are worried about sound quality, use your ears and don't worry to much about the printed scale. Obviously don't set it below 6KHz, but feel free to move it about to see what sounds best. Use the notch control by ear as well.

Widget

i wish.....

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Bo was generous enough to let me give one of his XR1001s a whirl while I was setting up my speakers in their new (and still quite unfinished) enclosures. Unfortunately I have been dealing with a bit of a head cold and my hearing is just now coming back. I was quite impressed with it from my direct comparisons with two active crossovers that I had that were available. The crossovers that I compared it to were an old Audioarts unit and a Rane AC22. I need to configure the cables and then I will compare it to a Crown VFX-2A I also have.

Basically I didn't get the feeling that the sound was being unduly processed. The Ranes that I have always sound a bit hard and constricting. The Audioarts sounds a bit veiled and dull. I have a couple of other crossovers that I really like , but they aren't as flexible as the Ashly or any of these other three either.

Widget
    I wish i were near you, this way we could compare it to the urei 525 that I like! This, the 525, and Crown MX-4,s are my favorites for full range use!

I also like the VFX-2A for driving sub and tweeter amps. I am going to put one back into my system that has been modified for me, this one has front panel output level attenuators, why Crown never did this I will never know!

As for the AudioArts unit, I believe that those used Allen-Bradley carbon composition pots, and carbon wears, and after much use, even if they arent scratchy, get noticeably dull sounding! If you could source NEW Clarostat Conductive Plastic pots for that AudioArts xover, Id bet the cost of parts and install, that it would improve the sound of your unit quite considerably!

I agree with your statement about the Rane xovers! Always sounded like it restricted and compressed the music, to me!
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 09-09-2004 at 02:34 PM.

Hey, Scotty...

Glad you revisited this Thread. I've only gotten more and more fond of this unit. One of the greatest attributes is the "Response" curve adjustment . The ability to shape the curve(s) in the area of the crossover (without altering the overall slopes) is very powerful for fine tuning between cabinets and for the ambient acoustics. Here's a close-up of the panel, and a description of the Response adjustment (from the catalogue):
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I have an Ashly!

Although its an older X77E, but it also has the damping adjustment!

Maybe I go get me one of these newer ones, and try it out!

One of these days.........

Im gonna have to let somebody try the modified urei 525, and see what they think!

Hello
    Another very good crossover to try is a TDM.
    They are available in two stereo and three way stereo.
    I use many of them in my PA systems and they sound great.
    You can find them on e-bay from time to time.

If your thinking of going the digital route I feel you need to drop
    serious $$$$$$$ to get a good sounding processor something
    like a XTA , higher end BSS or a Lake. All of the DSP's give you
    a lot parameters to control but not all of them sound that
    natural when listening to them.

Mike Caldwell

Which is why..........

I love my urei 525! and with a few minor mods its a sweet beast!

Thread Information