Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Technical References

Handbook of Sound System Design

by John Eargle.

Embarrassingly, while we have included many of John Eargle's writings, I find we are missing much of his ground breaking work.

This is a pic of the cover of Don's copy...

I have spent hours staring at that photo, and pondering the thought/planning/knowledge that went into the flown layout, "way back then".
    - Note how the L/R stacks have the horns staggered - never adjacent
    - Note how the center cluster is stacked - horns top and bottom, and arrayed to disperse their dispersion pattern...

Genius.

Comb filtering effects ruin the sound reproduction of an othewise great system. Never forget...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

2 of the best resources on web about the tapped horn...the wave of the future....kicking everyone's arses (esp JBL since they just bout stopped producing bass horns)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=1

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=8329

The genius....he use to work for Nasa to simulate/measure sonic booms...invented the servo drive and Lab horn and now is destroying the competitors with his new line of Danley subs....

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

im tryn to come up (with a lot of help) of a tapped horn design for jbl subs.

Free Music Software

Crispin Pritchard just posted this over on Pro Sound Web. Seems like a useful resource. I thought it might be of interest here, too, to all y'all...

Free Music Software

I think that interested parties might find some useful info at my web site www.gedlee.com. While I do sell products, there is still a lot of useful information posted. I'm trying not to be commercial here, but I do think that a glance might prove interesting since none of it is referenced here.

I'll understand if this post does not survive.

Quote Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
    I think that interested parties might find some useful info at my web site www.gedlee.com. While I do sell products, there is still a lot of useful information posted. I'm trying not to be commercial here, but I do think that a glance might prove interesting since none of it is referenced here.

I'll understand if this post does not survive.
    I took a look at your site after another post you made had piqued my interest. I am not endorsing your books (as I haven't read them), but I certainly think they deserve to be listed here.

Widget

The ear is an extraordinary sensory organ. Two books to introduce how and why you hear:

The Physics and Psychophysics of Music: An Introduction by Juan G. Roederer:
    The 2nd edition has much (Year 12) physics and a little bit of anatomy. More into the accoustics than biology. Covers how sounds are generated and heard.

Bases of Hearing Science by John D. Durrant and Jean H. Lovrinic (Paperback - Jan 15, 1995)
    A lot of anatomy and a little bit of (Year 12) physics. The biology is thoroughly dissected into what happens to sound after it hits your ears. You will never stick anything in your earhole again once you realise how delicate it is on the other side.

Both books have absolutely nothing about loudspeakers.
    Last edited by Ken Andrew; 10-01-2009 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Fix

Handbook For Sound Engineers 4th edition. The Acousic Measurement and Small Room Acoustic chapters are really good. 10-2008

Some of my favorites not yet listed.

Sound System Engineering by Don Davis and Eugene Patronis, JR. 3rd edition 2006. The Audio and Acoustic Measurement chapter is great, one of the best explanations of how to use the Nyquist plot and its dimensionaly expanded variant, the Heyser Spiral.

Don Davis worked with many of the greats in audio and had a hand in shaping audio as we know it today, he is also the Father of SynAudCon. Eugene Patronis, JR. is Professor of Physics, Emeitus Georgia Institute of Technology. They are both fun to read.

Time Delay Spectrometry, an Anthology of the Works of Richard C. Heyser on Measurement Analysis and Perception.

Its a pitty, Richard's remarkable insight and his work is so often copied, and so seldom acknowledged. These are the writings from the man who really put it all together. Prior to Heyser, real life data from manufactures was usually frequency vs. level responses and rarely phase response. Cancer took him in 1987 I believe, the depth of his works are still not fully realized.

If you really want to dig into how and why loud speakers behave as they do, and how to "correctly" (read and you'll see) measure them, I believe this is the book.

On the fun side, The Human Side of Engineering by Alger. 1972
    Tales of General Electric Engineering OVer 80 Years. From about 1885 or so. Very cool!

I hope to find something like it about Bell Labs in the hey-day. Anyone know of some?

Thiele Paper

Here is the famous article from A.N. Thiele: Loudspeakers in vented boxes.

Enjoy!
    Ruediger

K-coupler, Karlson etc. papers

Here come two papers about the so-called Karlson couplers.

To some people including me it's voodoo, black magic and snake oil. But it's fine that not all of us need to share the same opinion. Enjoy!

Ruediger

D.B. Keele: LF Horn Design Using TS Parameters

A paper from D.B. Keele: how to design a low frequency horn using the Thiele Small parameters.

Ruediger

Bose Wave Cannon Patent Paper

Let there be Boom!

Electronics Tutorials

From a member in a far off place...

Bookmark this one.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

There is a new entry come to town. Ethan Winer has written a tome called The Audio Expert. It looks far reaching, and I have benefited from his writing in the past.

It is on Amazon, but I have ordered it from his web store. For a few more bucks the extras seem a steal.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/book.htm

Can't recommend it until it is in my hands, but it looks very promising for souls like myself.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Yes, I'll recommend it. Old hat to some experts here, but I learned a lot. It does have a very wide perspective.

Clark

BTW, it arrived promptly. It just took me a long time to get around to recommending it.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Altec Lansing Technical Letter 262: Coverage of Multiple Mantaray Horns

Altec Lansing Engineering Notes,
    Technical Letter No. 262:
    Coverage of Multiple Mantaray Horns
    Mark Ureda & Ted Uzzle

Thread Information