Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster cable food for thought

Monster cable food for thought

A friend informed me that his companies audio supplier( I can't remember who) ran a test of monster cable and compared it with a coat hanger and saw no difference. I know nothing about them so I can't comment. Are they full of it or what?

Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by elwood127 View Post
    A friend informed me that his companies audio supplier( I can't remember who) ran a test of monster cable and compared it with a coat hanger and saw no difference. I know nothing about them so I can't comment. Are they full of it or what?
    To quote Benjamin Braddock, "Wood, or wire?"

Hi. What is a "coat hanger"? As you can see English is not my first language.

In general it is so that most of the members don't believe in sound difference regarding cables.

A friend informed me that his company's audio supplier( I can't remember who) ...
    Ah, the generic "a friend of a friend says..." - the internet is FULL of that stuff!

What do YOU think??
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

This has been discussed a few times here, one of the recent threads is here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=22658

je

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    What is a "coat hanger"? As you can see English is not my first language.

In general it is so that most of the members don't believe in sound difference regarding cables.
    Is that a question? :dont-know

The metal coat hanger itself is made of some kind of metallic substance (usually low grade steel wire between 12 to 18 gauge) that has been painted black or white, or coated in a clear lacquer.

When the ends are cut from the original wire ribbon, the raw ends usually are left bare.
    Out.

Well, well the Mon$tor is on the rise.

For a short distance (coat hanger is about 24~30" stretched out) you could not tell the difference between copper and steel wire. Now at 30' well maybe you could or not. But sure the coat hanger wire is a lot cheaper than Mon$tor cable. The subject has been beaten to death on many forums, www.audioholics.com has a lot of test on speaker wire over the years. In general the low cost wire works just as good as the arm and leg variety. John

OK, I got it. Most of ours is made of wood, but that is probably due to the age, when they was made with love.

And to your ? ... ... no, just an observation. Most members believe that cables don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

Is that a question? :dont-know

Prior to using a coat hangar for conducting audio signals, you have to wrap it with aluminum foil.
    Just like it is done on the homemade radio antennas I'm sure you have all seen.

OK, I got it. Most of ours is made of wood . . .
    Our's, too. But if you take your clothing to a commercial cleaners, they'll come back on lots of the wire monsters. The big problem is always what to do with them once they build up to an unmanageable quantity. Some drop them off at laundromats. Others:

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    The subject has been beaten to death on many forums, www.audioholics.com has a lot of test on speaker wire over the years. In general the low cost wire works just as good as the arm and leg variety. John
    It's dangerous to make generalizations like this, they are part of the reason why this debate continues on endlessly - define "low cost wire". There are absolutely some low-cost wire options that suck, and some that sound/test OK at first and then start to suck rapidly once their conductors or teminations corrode & add resistance. As with just about anything in this world, cheap things are cheap for a reason, it could be poor performance or could be good performance with limited lifespan. I'd be curious to see if the tests on the site you reference are all as-new wire, or if they're re-tested again as they age.

Find your own comfortable balance between investment & return, and go for it. Or, take a look at installations that can't tolerate failure - military, marine, emergency broadcast - they don't use what I'd define as "low cost wire", but they don't generally use "arm and leg" cable either.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Or, take a look at installations that can't tolerate failure - military, marine, emergency broadcast - they don't use what I'd define as "low cost wire", but they don't generally use "arm and leg" cable either.
    je
    MILSPEC ?? man, that stuff makes "arm and leg" look cheap
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I sure don't want to start another thread, and this one's about played out, so . . . I'm looking for some good quality 18"-or-so RCA-to-RCA interconnect (patch) cables in stereo pairs. Anybody know a good source, remembering that, among other things, I am a bottom feeder?

Seriously, there aren't too many sources out there and 18' seems to cost the same as 18". Even some 12" would be fine but those seem to be even more difficult to find. Most places charge more for shipping than the parts, or don't have them short enough.

Thanks

Thread Information