Thread: Jubal Xover upgrade

Jubal Xover upgrade

Any opinons on what components would work best in upgrading the Jubal crossover? Woofers are 126A. Thanks!

I have a pair of theese with the 126A woofer.

I changed the capacitors to Solen polypropylene and it made a good bit of difference. Guess the originals where pretty dry. I might try a CC network for them in the future.

The difference i noticed was less hiss from the midrange and tweeter. it sounded smoother, so the details was easier to hear.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    Any opinons on what components would work best in upgrading the Jubal crossover? Woofers are 126A. Thanks!
    Some years back, I guess I got a little carried away, overdriving my four Jubal Speakers one evening, and totally fried the X-Over Networks in two of them.

I of course had a couple of different choices, re-build what was in there, or start all over, with totally new, better quality X-Overs.

I opted for the latter, and after some research, I found a couple of companies wishing to charge me an arm, and a leg, I found Madisound would make what I wanted, and at a very reasonable price.

After getting the specs from JBL, I faxed them off to Madisound, and had them make me four brand new complete X-Over networks, using Goertz Alpha Core Air Core Inductors, and all Solen Caps. What came, where four unbelievably beautiful massive X-Overs. I also bypassed the wimpy, and half shot L-Pads, installing thier 100W models at rear of cabinet, and four brand new Edison Price Billet Copper 5-Way Binding Posts.

I have heard it said once, that if a speaker originally uses Iron Core Inductors, that one should perhaps stay with them, but I have noticed no downside to using the Goertz Air Core Inductors.

I went further to better interally brace the enclosures, fillet all joints, and of course used high grade internal wiring throughout. I also foam gasketed all 126A Drivers.

Of course, I took my speakers from being all totally original JBL, and perhaps have "ruined" thier vintage value. I had no intentions of ever selling them, and the upgrades did proove to be sonically advantageous.

It's been about 7 years since the upgrade, they're still playing amazingly well, and since I stuck with factory values for the Caps-Inductors, the wonderful Jubal sound was not lost. The entire spectrum became cleaner, purer, bass was cleaner, tighter, better defined, mids smoother.
    Mark

The Solen's willl be a remarkable substitute for the original caps. Iron core inductors are OK in woofer circuits, but the air-cores will be much more stable at higher frequencies. I don't know how much, if any, difference it would make in the original network, but they don't really go bad anyway. I didn't see any need to change mine, so they are original. Charge Coupling is best, but much more money. Twice as many caps at double the capacitance, and all....

I love my Jubals with Solens. There are other cap choices out there, but I personally like Solen sound in JBL's.

Rick

Thread Information