Thread: Just for grins - 3110 and 3105 Xovers..

HenryW

Just for grins - 3110 and 3105 Xovers..

I am a bit intrigued about using a 3110 as the LF Xover and taking the HF out to a 3105 with the LF side then going to a 2425H and the HF going to a 2404H. Knowing I have to compensate for the 16ohm anticipated and 8ohm actual (spec stuff - knowing that measurement will give me something near that), what is the major problem you folks see in this type of setup?

HenryW

Aded question - 3105 specs

JBL pro site has two different specs on the 3105. Was there a difference in earlier models or are one set of specs accurate?

One shows HF out for 8 ohms. The older (apparently) spec shows HF out to 16 ohms.

Obsolete

Re: Aded question - 3105 specs

Post the links you are looking at...

HenryW
    These are at the JBLpro site under vintage products. The first is
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/F..._Networks1.pdf

This sheet also has the 3106, 3110, 3120, etc. Page two is where the chart identifies specs of the Xover and shows a HF impedence of 16 ohms.

The second is here:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/obsolete/3105-3115A.pdf

This sheet also has the 3110A, 3120A, etc. The specs are on the second sheet showing HF as 8 ohms and further labels the 3105 as for a certain group of tweeters that include the 2404 I will be working with.

Obsolete
    The only problem I see you potentially having is running the 2425H instead of the 2425J.

What woofer will you be using? The 3110 has an autoformer to lower the output of the HF section and isn't all that flexible in application.

HenryW
    Mr. Widget - the LF is a 2225H (2205 reconed by JBL with 2225). My original thread on the project is here:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...&threadid=2192

Giskard - thanks for the schematics. They is enough info there for me to noodle on for a bit and try to figure some modifications.

As to the 2425H - my seat of the pants was to add series resistors - Am I being too simplistic?

Thanks to all for putting up with my clearly novice questions, but I do eventually get things pounded through an increasingly thick skull. Xover modification is a challenge that I don't plan on losing...It may mean I have to build my own since I have clearly chosen drivers that JBL didn't put together (more nights of the lovely wife saying 'What time did you get off that computer last night?'). I would just like to keep a JBL 'look' since I am so far into them on this gig.

Obsolete
    "As to the 2425H - my seat of the pants was to add series resistors - Am I being too simplistic?"

If you already have everything on hand you might want to hook it all up "normal" first. Start looking for solutions if it sounds "wrong".

HenryW
    Yep - in that quasi-sleep stage last night I came to the same conclusion. I am going to build with the two Xovers then test (I'll have to borrow equipment or take to a friend's shop). It looks like I have enough info (thanks again for the schematics) to convince me that changes needed can be made with some relative ease - that was an important step.

I will have one test box where I can change the horns and see what happens with a 2370 vs a 2345 (I think the 2370 will win, but since it is in hand I should try - don't want to miss a possibility - it could be a surprise).

Thanks again...

Thread Information