Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Cables are you using for your 4345s, or any type of Horn speakers ?

Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
    (what is it called)
    Charge-Coupled

Quote: Was someone complaining about something "in your face"?

Yes. The OP.

I'm using vintage 1970s cables "included" with your cassette recorder purchase rca's. Lamp cord speaker wire. Intend to upgrade when the system gets to its permanent install. What are good connects & speaker cable that are reasonably priced. (ie; that I can afford to buy and not finance).

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Quote: Was someone complaining about something "in your face"?

Yes. The OP.
    Ahh yes; that post from nearly a year ago.

I was really only perpetuating the discussion as it referred to the 6Moons White Lightning Moonshine suggestion. I normally buy my speaker cable from Lowe's off the spool (they do have something they call "speaker wire" with the polarity marked) but using the $7 Wood's patio extension cord from WalMart actually costs less per running foot. To answer Midlife's question I think the Wood's wire is bulky enough to use the supply of Monster Pomona plugs I've collected that don't seem to maintain contact with conventional wire-by-the-foot. I get them at Best Buy and they seem cheap enough. Parts Plus has some good stuff, too. I'm really fascinated with the concept of Neutrik's dual-bananas but I haven't found them where the shipping doesn't cost more than the product.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    but using the $7 Wood's patio extension cord from WalMart actually costs less per running foot.
    Make sure you know where that stuff is coming from! If it is anything like the drywall debacle in the housing industry you could be screwed dude... We don't know where any of this crap is coming from anymore... well, we do, what we don't know is what kinds of contaminants are in it. Remember where we dumped all our toxic waste? I think it's coming back to us in the form of Product.

Good suggession BMWCCA (I do like the clean look of those N'trik plugs), now how 'bout good bang for the buck/plug & play interconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313b
    Make sure you know where that stuff is coming from! If it is anything like the drywall debacle in the housing industry you could be screwed dude...
    I didn't have a clue about the quoted reference, until I "googled" & got this ; Chinese Drywall Answers .

Thanks for the heads-up .

<> cheers

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    I didn't have a clue about the quoted reference, until I "googled" & got this ; Chinese Drywall Answers .

Thanks for the heads-up .

<> cheers
    I hadn't read that one yet. Thanks for the link.

The biennial event will focus on the safety of Chinese-made products sold in the U.S. The Chinese drywall disaster is just the latest scandal involving imports from that country. In 2008, nearly 80 percent of all product recalls in the U.S. involved imports from China. Products like dog food, baby formula, toys with lead paint and even pharmaceuticals like heparin have been found to have been made with toxic materials and other counterfeit ingredients putting U.S. consumers at risk.

You know... we could make a mint if we designed a hand-held partical scanner that the average Walmart shopper could use to scan products for undesirable materials.

Oh wait... http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=4827

This could be a whole new growth industry. Kind of like the anti-virus industry is for the PC. I wonder if anyone has any inkling just how fortuitous the script-kiddies have been for employment opportunities. The day the hackers stop hacking is the day tens of thousands of people end up unemployed.

As bad as that is, well over a decade ago a friend told me a story that has kept me concerned ever since. He is an engineer at a nuclear power plant in the southern US. One day while at work the radioactivity alarms went off at the front gate of the plant. Apparently all power plants here in the US have sensors at the gate to scan for out going radioactive particles... a good idea since they don't want to inadvertently contaminate their communities.

Anyway, the alarms went off and traffic was stopped. It turned out the alarm was triggered by a shipment of I beams entering the plant. Yep, they had been made in China.

Ever since that story I pick up every Chinese made screw with just a little bit of suspicion. All it takes is a small amount of scrap radioactive steel to contaminate tons of the stuff... is anyone scanning this stuff? I doubt it.

Widget

There was an incident at Los Alamos involving some re-bar originating in Mexico being contaminated with Cobalt-60.

http://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/accidents/juarez.htm

I don't have time to search for a better link, but at the time it was reported that an abandoned X Ray machine was broken open and people played with the glowing stuff inside before the rest of the machine was melted down.

China Screws Europe Too !

Just the thing for the music room.......... When will their bubble burst ? They make shite..... sooner or later the rest of world will wake up and boycott the chinese junk !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-nothing.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r6-o1lpJHU I think 4313b will enjoy this film .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Make sure you know where that stuff is coming from!
    The Wood's cable is clearly marked "China". But wouldn't that be likely to make it oxygen-free, given the state of their environment?

Come to think of it, lemme check the stuff from Lowe's . . . "high performance speaker wire made in USA".

Most Neutrik pieces I've owned are made in Lichtenstein.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The Wood's cable is clearly marked "China". But wouldn't that be likely to make it oxygen-free, given the state of their environment?

Come to think of it, lemme check the stuff from Lowe's . . . "high performance speaker wire made in USA".

Most Neutrik pieces I've owned are made in Lichtenstein.
    Ahhhhhhhh, another "cable" thread... let me get my popcorn

I work in SR and installs, so we have high power, long runs and at times low impedance.
    I use a special material, what's its name already.... ah yes, copper

Ive always used Belden wire. 16 ga for under 50 ft. then I switch to 12 for anything of 50 ft..... that's because its all I have

Cool After deep frying coat them with bread crums!

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I have heard if you deep fry the power cord it is twice as good as the ones that are deep frozen and cost a bit more, please try it and get back to me

Mark
    Then you need let them cool down slowly in an over set to 200 for and hour, then turn off the oven and let them cool over night! In the morning you can just throw them away because they won't be any good!

There is so much FUD about cables, one of the ones that I love is that you need break in your cables, before they will sound good!
    Mon$tor cables is the KING OF FUD*
    * Fear Uncertainty Doubt

Thread Information