Thread: Has anyone compared the 416a to 416z?

Has anyone compared the 416a to 416z?

Hi guys,

I was wondering how many people have compared the Altec 416-8a to the Altec 416-8z.

I've currently got two pair of Altec Valencia's. Complete with Altec cabinets, crossover and drivers. Both speakers were bought as Altec speakers and were owned by the original owners.

The newest of the pair are actually in pretty good shape. They even still have the foam inserts around the horn. But, both of the foam grills have had the foam replaced with grill cloth (due to rot)

The new Valencia speakers actually sound quite different from the other pair. One set uses the old frame 416-8z's, while the other set uses the newer cast frame 416-8a's.

I understand that these are pretty much different frames...and the Z doesn't have the magnet cover...but I expected them to be fairly close in a direct sound comparison...but they don't

(both seem to be in good physical and mechanical condition)

I've read in many archives that the 416-8a and the 416-8z are supposed to be the same speaker (with exception of the magnet cover), but after listening to both of them...I can't imagine them even being comparable.

If these speakers are in fact supposed to be the same (or have the same sound)...could there be other reasons they may sound different?

Could one pair need the Alnico magnet recharged?

any ideas or suggestions welcome!

thanks,
    dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gonefishin; 05-06-2004 at 11:20 AM.

416-8z
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Z

Altec OEM,d drivers for other companies, and they usually were listed as 416-8Z, 421-8z, etc. If those are Alnico magnet drivers, the older ones could be in need of a re-charging.
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 05-06-2004 at 12:31 PM.

thanks Scott

I'll certainly make sure that both woofers are 8ohms. But with the 416-8Z marking, I suspect they are. Both enclosures are also the stock Valencia cabinets...stuffed full of the stock Altec parts...including identical 8ohm crossovers.

For my curiosity for these Altec woofers and compression drivers...but also my JBL 2441 drivers...is there any way to tell if the Alnico magnets need a recharge? Could a recharge only make a significant difference?

thanks!

dan

Demagnetization

When Alnico drivers have partially demagnetized you will notice a difference in efficiency and a noticeable loss in the higher frequencies. An alnico driver in need of recharging sounds kind of dull, and doesnt have as much transient jump. Basically, it sounds dull.

Your 416,s can regaussed by Bill at Great Plains Audio in Oklahoma City.

Thanks Scott. That actually sounds like it may be the problem...but who knows? I'll give Bill at Great Plains Audio a call.

I did get the measurments, and both sets of woofers fall into the 8ohm category (the 416-8A's and the 416-8z's).

thanks again...and if anyone else has any suggestions or comments...love to hear'em!

take care,
    dan

Nice speakers

Ill bet you love that TAD 1601A!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Nice speakers

Originally posted by scott fitlin

Nice speakers

Ill bet you love that TAD 1601A!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks...and I do

A horn loaded woofer just wouldn't work for me...with my room...and the wife and all

but I'm trying to talk my brother into going with some basshorns for the Altec woofers...can't wait...it should be fun!

Actually, I'm thinking we could make one pair with basshorns...and the other as a ported design (more similar to the current Valencia cabs). Then he could choose which he likes the best...the horns or the vented.

(this stuff is addictive )

thanks again,
    dan

Thread Information