Just for fun...a thread for all our moments of foolishness. In medieval times the King always had a Fool in the court to remind him of his fallibility and that his power and authority depended on something greater than himself.

In this spirit, my lunatic moment :

After upgrading my DIY system with 2405's, 3106's, HL92's and an L-pad for the MF (LE85's), I was happy with the CD/SACD sound, but the high end didn't seem quite balanced with LP's. So one afternoon I sat down to listen and tweak. First up, a Brahms Serenade (#1)...hmm, doesn't sound quite right, highs perhaps a bit over-emphasized. Suddenly from the other room my wife called out, "That sounds terrible!" Golly, I thought, what could it be? Hey, maybe with the new tweeters I need to adjust the VTA on the tonearm.

So, I fooled around with this for a few days and found where it sounded worse, but I couldn't get it sounding better! Also found I was dialing in more bass boost with my Yamaha C-80 preamp when listening to satellite programming, movies, etc. What in the world is going on here?

One day, I got fed up and for the first time in a few days, played an SACD just to relax and enjoy myself and let the frustration settle: Diana Krall (The Girl in the Other Room)...one of my favourites: "Temptation". WTF ...it sounds terrible...where's that wonderful BASS?! Keep in mind that this is totally unequalized sound from my Linn Unidisk SC direct to my amplifiers.

So, I stuck my ear down by the left and right channel woofers: no sound whatsoever from the right channel! A spring loaded connector on the LX5 crossover had popped off and the wire was hanging out there in space.

Back on it went and back came that lovely music!

So there's my Foolish Lunatic moment...anyone else?