Thread: Dolby Decoding question, pls help

Dolby Decoding question, pls help

Hi all,

my question is pretty basic, if a new component such as a DVD player or DVR has Dolby Digital/DTS processors built-in, will that pass through my ProLogic only (1994) receiver for digital 5 channel HT and DTS music, or do I need a new receiver to hear the effect?

I understand w/o a sub I won't get the 5.1 part but Someone called ProLogic an "analog hack", so are my five speakers (F-LR, C, R-LR) limited to the receivers capability?

Thanks much

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Hi all,

my question is pretty basic, if a new component such as a DVD player or DVR has Dolby Digital/DTS processors built-in, will that pass through my ProLogic only (1994) receiver for digital 5 channel HT and DTS music, or do I need a new receiver to hear the effect?

I understand w/o a sub I won't get the 5.1 part but Someone called ProLogic an "analog hack", so are my five speakers (F-LR, C, R-LR) limited to the receivers capability?

Thanks much
    It depends on how your receiver is configured. My DVD player actually has 6 distinct RCA jacks for the 6 channel outputs from the DVD source. It can decode DTS or Dolby and send the distinct Audio channels to discrete rca connectors on the receiver, and I pick an input selection named 6 direct (or 8 direct) and skip the older processors of the receiver and use the newer circuits of the DVD player.

Or I can just use the Optical output and let the receiver decode whatever its capable of decoding ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information