Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I just sold my '64 convertible a couple of years ago-both tops, 4 speed car. Looks like the same color, but it needed restoration and I didn't want to tackle all that. Had that thing for about 20 years and paid enough in liability insurance to buy a new car.
    Yours was probably Sebring Silver. I had it painted Ferrarri Titanio Grigio with a Canna Di Fucile stinger and stripe over the body and down the back.

Insurance is cheap! Full coverage when I had it insured for $25K replacement was just $155/yr. I think its about twice that now that I did the restoration, had it appraised at $60K, and upped the coverage accordingly. I've had this one since ~'84-'85.

When I first got mine, liability alone was $200/mo!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    When I first got mine, liability alone was $200/mo!
    J.C. Taylor classic car policy. Car must be stored in a locked garage and is to be used for Corvette events, not daily driving.

4430s Imaging is Fantastic!

I initially had the 4430s sitting to the outsides of the L200 cabinets putting their centerlines >20 feet apart. The listener sits about 14 feet back from the speakers.

In this position, the speakers were too far apart and sounded more like headphones.

Yesterday I moved them to the insides of the L200s (about 12 feet apart) even though I had to bring them forward about 18" to do it. One word, WOW!!!

While these don't have the phat sound of the L200+/L300, they image better than anything I've been able to listen to and the soundstage is phenomonal, and certainly better than the L200+s where the stage collapses considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Yesterday I moved them to the insides of the L200s even though I had to bring them forward about 18" to do it. One word, WOW!!!

While these don't have the phat sound of the L200+/L300, they image better than anything I've been able to listen to and the soundstage is phenomonal, and certainly better than the L200+s where the stage collapses considerably.
    You're learning... and believe it or not there is even better still to be discovered.

Kinda fun isn't it?

Widget

No doubt about it, 4430's have some remarkable qualities. I am happy to hear you're enjoying them.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    That's why alot of us moved on as time went on. My 4430's didn't get replaced until JBL came out with the K2 Series and the Array Series. That's a whole lot of service years out of a 4430.

Yes those 2344's really do sound nice! Glad you like them.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Latest Revisions

I've redone my JBL L200 cabinets to increase the internal volume by increasing and incorporating the plinths. This increases the internal volume from ~5 to ~5.75 cubic feet and also raises them up some so that they are now slightly taller than the 4430s. Also, they received some extra stuffing.

Additionally, I replaced the 2402 "bullet" tweeters with the 2405 "slot tweeters" that I traded my LE175s/horns for. Also, the horns have been changed from the short HL91 (2307), to the long HL92 (2312) and the drivers were changed from the LE175s to the larger 2420s. Finally, the crossovers received some minor revisions per Ian's prior comments (though I think I liked it better before).

Before:

After:

I also redid my combination center channel/subwoofer (separate chambers in the cabinet). In this case I removed the 1217 "potato masher" horn from the bottom of the cabinet and installed a block-off plate. A 2312 horn replaces the top center port and again the driver was changed from an LE175 to a 2420. The 2405 replaces the 075 tweeter. Finally, the remaining port was shortened 2" to better match the L200 cabinets and some additional stuffing was installed.
    Before:

After:

Looks like you have been busy!!!

Evening, Todd,

Man, you've been busy, Mate!! Well done, and it looks like it was quite a bit of fun, too. I look forward to dropping by for an audition! Any thoughts, now that you've had a chance to compare the two systems, side by side? You know me.... I'm an L300 devotee. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about a comparison between the two systems. Again, well done, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Evening, Todd,

Man, you've been busy, Mate!! Well done, and it looks like it was quite a bit of fun, too. I look forward to dropping by for an audition! Any thoughts, now that you've had a chance to compare the two systems, side by side? You know me.... I'm an L300 devotee. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about a comparison between the two systems. Again, well done, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    You'll have to listen to the differences yourself to make a decision.

IMHO, I find better highs and intelligibility with the L200/300s but better imaging with the 4430s. Also, the 4430s sound more "tubby" with more bass while the L200/300s sound more open. The L200/300s do vocals better but the 4430's seem to do guitar better with more body.

I think that the LE175s had more warmth than the 2420s and I kind of miss that now, though the vocals are better on the 2420s which is important for TV/Movie watching.

Thread Information