Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Near or Midfield? Question.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ping ping ping!

basic internet rule:

Don't feed the troll!

Recommended reading: The AshLad Who had an Eating Match With a Troll (Norwegian Folk Tales)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I was talking about the dispersion graph above. What are you talking about? Frequency range as listed on the 2206 spec sheet?
    Answer to above...below.

I know this is the DIY forum and I'm not a card-carrying member at this time, but the concept seems simple as stated in the Stanford link:Nearfields are for listening up-close; at the board, straight ahead. Midfields for further back in the room; sitting around the conference table or on a couch in a group. I think the latter pretty much covers the Century Golds which was the original issue of this thread.

JBL adds this description in their 4400 material: Depending on how you interpret this description, it would seem you're both correct!
    I don't agree. Stanford claims "((true>> Near-field speakers are designed to be heard in the near field, where the direct sound far exceeds the reflected sound intensity. ((wrong>> Near field monitors are desirable in part because their sound is largely independent of the room, ((wrong>> hence their popularity for home and project studios where acoustics are often less than perfect."

This is mixed up completely. Near field monitors have the widest directivity. More room interaction with that. Direct sound domain with "near fielders" ranges up to 3 feet from the speakers. Farther than that the "less than perfect" acoustics will take over - by definition!

What is ment with the terms reverberant field vs. direct field is explained very popular by geddes (www.gedlee.com). To understand the concept by first principles is mandatory to get the clue with near/far monitoring. To try to expain that very basic concepts within a JBL dedicated discussion is waste of time and in the end - useless.

My suggestion is - repeatedly - to understand the label "near/farfield"-monitor as brief hint for what specific listening situation the device is intended. It is in any case related to a studio environment. Home listening is a very different setting and so the wording does simply not apply.

Regarding JBLs 4400 paper: groundbreaking. But nowadays a little outdated. The requirements are more demanding today. For serious monitoring regardless of C.D. or not (the "not" does not even come into consideration today) the direct field is preferred. Reverberation should be attenuated to ~ -10 .. 20dB related to direct sound.

The "troll"

Quote Originally Posted by mini View Post
    It is in any case related to a studio environment. Home listening is a very different setting and so the wording does simply not apply.
    Umm, didn't I say that a week ago, here?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti 5000 View Post
    Depending on how you interpret this description
    Evidently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti 5000 View Post
    Hallo together.
    I listen on a JBL Century Gold. Can anyone told me, for what is the Century Produced? Is it a near or midfield Speaker?
    And wich Distance is near or midfield in Meters?
    Pleas help.

Thanks Peter
    The Century Gold is a JBL Consumer loudspeaker system intended for use in the "typical" consumer living room. As with most JBL Consumer systems it would be considered "midfield".

The distance in meters is typically 3.

It's too bad the floor standing version never made it to production.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Me 2. But reiterating people try to press the Century Gold into a role it doesn't fit. At last (by now) again the C/G is named as a "midfield" by experts. That's by definition something in between. Neither nor something. Audio terms prove ill defined most often. The essence changes with the person that uses them, as to say by sympathy.

The Troll

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by mini View Post
    Me 2. But reiterating people try to press the Century Gold into a role it doesn't fit. At last (by now) again the C/G is named as a "midfield" by experts. That's by definition something in between. Neither nor something. Audio terms prove ill defined most often. The essence changes with the person that uses them, as to say by sympathy.

The Troll
    Who's pressing the Century Gold into a role it doesn't fit? We all know perfectly well what to do with a pair. You seem to be at a loss and I'm not sure how I can help you.

Based on feedback with respect to your PM's I will kindly remind you of this post -

Fortunately, as the wise Nelson Pass has said, this is for entertainment... so enjoy it and try not to piss people off. Your naysaying comments are not a particularly good way to make friends here. If you personally find it hard to believe that these systems might work and you must shout about it publicly, why not go to the Klipsch Forum and tell them how bad JBLs sound based on your theories... I am sure you'll get a warmer reception there.

If you never read, and comprehend, another paragraph on this website again you should at least read the preceeding one and take it to heart. It is the best possible advice I can offer you at this juncture.

Thread Information