Thread: Thoughts on JBL J-350

Thoughts on JBL J-350

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the J-350s. I found a lady that lives around my inlaws that has a pair for $75 (cheap), but are they worth it.

Thanks.
    Roundsound

Quote Originally Posted by Roundsound View Post
    $75 (cheap), but are they worth it.
    Not familiar with that series but I think they use cheap stamped baskets and generic-looking magnet assemblies. I suspect they could make someone happy at $75, but then you're half-way to some L5s at that price if you keep looking and get lucky. Here's a thread on a similar model (without the PR, I think): http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=14425

More info here, if you search without the hyphen: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...d.php?p=116666

Try 'em out and tell us how you think they sound.

We use to have these speakers briefly when I was growing up. IIRC, they are very cheaply made though they do look impressive to the uninitiated, with the glass top and all. You might have to cough up some money to redo the foam surrounds on the woofers. I would pass on this model at any price.

Hey, Roundsound,

Back when I used to work at Schaak Electronics, in Minneapolis, we sold the J series JBL's for a time. When we first got them, being a "JBL Guy", I was really excited!! But, I have to tell you that my excitement didn't last very long. As soon as I got to really look at them, I knew they were not up the JBL standards that I loved and valued. Listening to them offered nothing of merit, either. Then, when I got the chance, I pulled the drivers from one J model, just for fun, and saw, immediately, that they were cheap, stamped-frame transducers, and NOT the wonderfully designed speakers that JBL made famous!! Of course, after my first listening session, I already suspected that, and so wasn't too surprised when I verified it empirically.

I'd suggest that you save your coin, and seek out a "real" JBL, which I know will give you much more satisfaction that any of the inexpensive J series speakers. Just my opinion, but I'm betting that once you had a chance to "live" with any of the cheap J series speakers, you would not be too happy with them, and would most certainly feel, just like I did, that they are definitely NOT "real" JBL's!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Pop some popcorn and pull up a chair: http://ebayitem.com/320318735953

the "J' 's were stuck between Radiances & real ones.,,,but drivers dont have to have cast baskets to sound good...My Marantz's (designed by Ed May) were stamped basket drivers, but sound very nice, or at least like a 4 way extended L100. (is that good ??)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    the "J' 's were stuck between Radiances & real ones.,,,but drivers dont have to have cast baskets to sound good...My Marantz's (designed by Ed May) were stamped basket drivers, but sound very nice, or at least like a 4 way extended L100. (is that good ??)
    That may be, (no May pun intended) which is why I suggested trying them out and reporting back. Though there have been knowledgeable pontificates in this group who have reported negatively, at least on the J350's little brother the J325:

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF View Post
    Had a pair ...paid $25 , that was too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    I'd suggest that you save your coin, and seek out a "real" JBL, which I know will give you much more satisfaction that any of the inexpensive J series speakers. Just my opinion, but I'm betting that once you had a chance to "live" with any of the cheap J series speakers, you would not be too happy with them, and would most certainly feel, just like I did, that they are definitely NOT "real" JBL's!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    I agree with Doc on this.

A "real" JBL does not have to cost a lot to sound great, either. I picked up a nearly perfect pair of L-46's a few years ago on Craigslist in about the same price range. They aren't the end all, but are really quite nice. Do your homework, and be patient, and the right speaker will come along.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Well, the J-350s aren't going to happen for me. I just got a pair of L-96s that need a refoam for the same $75, delivered. If I had more room, money and time $75 is a great price.

Hey, Roundsound,

I think you made a wise choice! Once your new L-96's have been refoamed, I think you will like them much more than you would have liked the J350's. Congrats!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information