Thread: THX Audio Limiter Protection!

JBL 4645

Smile THX Audio Limiter Protection!

Best ways to use it.

Setting the THX Audio Limiter up for best reproduction from what I’ve figured out is to run a sequence LFF.1 track content only set the level of the sub for comfortable level.

Star destroyer chapter 1
    I aimed for a simple 85dbc on the opening and then activated the THX Audio Limiter to ON -30db.

Level has now dropped down to 72dbc to 74dbc.

Okay I’ll now increase the level on the AVR Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select to +10db level is now giving me 80dbc SPL. I’ll now trim the level on the audio mixer to give me a few more db output level.

Now playing at 85dbc SPL

I’ll now play chapter 23, the level on the LFE.1 track is very mild with level set back to 0db and with the THX Audio Limiter turned OFF! SPL, isn’t near to 70dbc.

Now turned LFE.1 level up to +10db a few tympani beats was near to 70dbc 67dbc SPL.

Switched on THX Audio Limiter it’s more or less around the same value.

Chapter 23 Sidious, reveals himself to Anakin Skywalker, a low level LFE.1 track rumbling low and tympani booming slowly away.

JBL 4645
    I also have very funky old Ferguson videostar Hi-Fi stereo VHS player that I’m using as secondary Audio Limiter that has been discounted from the surround outputs as my surrounds can handle very well in the small room. It was level of LCRS bass content that I wanted to tame as the level can be quite soft sometimes and little extra enhancement won’t hurt the soundtrack.

I feed the outputs from the audio mixer for LCRS into one single that has each channel balanced or I can make special adjustments if necessary. The level outputs are set a bit higher than normal to give the limiter a bit more control on the high peaks and the level on the Eltax A 12-R 12” sub bass for LCRS sub bass extension is controlled.

So all I need to do is control the flow the mixers output levels ether by the master fader or the individual faders.

Thread Information