Thread: The Other Analogue Source

The Other Analogue Source

There is vinyl, yes. But have you ever heard a 15ips master tape? This is not the same thing, but apparently very close. http://www.tapeproject.com/ Check out the "Why Tape?" section.

I can tell you that if you ever hear a 15ips master you will be astonished at the amount and quality of the information available.

At the local audio/vinyl/Obi CD shop, there are always open reel machines for sale. This effort only adds to my "disappointment" (as Michael Corleone would have said) over all the good Studer parts being destroyed by you know who. The image is from the web site, not our local hole in the wall shop. A suite at CES 2008, I wouldn't set foot in a place like this, but the deck is killer. There is also a picture of an Ampex ATR 102 in the TAD room, no less, where I certainly would set both feet in.

The second photo here is, believe it or not, a personal listening room.

Clark
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The image is from the web site, not our local hole in the wall shop. A suite at CES 2008, I wouldn't set foot in a place like this, but the deck is killer.
    I step into places like that all the time...

I've been meaning to order a reel from the Tape Project... they are not inexpensive though... and I need to get my Otari half track deck serviced first.

For anyone interested in open reel tape decks by the way, you should check out Otaris... the Ampex ATR-100s and many big Studers are better, but only a bit, and Otaris are a bargain as they are simply unknown by most folks who were not in studios back in the day. Old Tandberg, Revox, Teac/Tascam, and even Pioneer decks sell for more because more people know about them... kind of like JBL 375s vs. 2440s.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I step into places like that all the time...

Widget
    Since I am allergic to speakers as furniture, you could guess I am phobic of speakers as sculpture. My reaction to speakers as unspeakably bad art is not repeatable here.

I figured you for a tape guy, since you do a fair amount of critical listening and are aware that the better the input the greater the test of the output.

I assume the transport and heads are what matter in choosing a deck, as modern replacement electronics would be preferred in all but the best vintage pro tube units.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    But have you ever heard a 15ips master tape? ...
    I can tell you that if you ever hear a 15ips master you will be astonished at the amount and quality of the information available.

I never went that fast, but a long time ago I had the chance to make some records on my own, which were very delightful.
    Today I have two machines (BRAUN TG1000 and Philips Pro12) which need service and there is no chance to record something worth to do it.

all that reminds me that I still have my TEAC X1000R deck...built in dolby & dbx .NAB hubs..digital counter....optional wood case ...pristine, just taking up space...anyone in need ?

my MD with ATRAC type R sounds as good as 7.5 ips....never tried 15 ..

stock pic ..mine is silver faced

The X-1000R dbx was a high quality, three motor, quarter-track stereo tape deck.
    Several variants were produced with the following suffixes:

R (bi-directional record/playback)
    dbx (DBX-I noise reduction system)
    The R model featured six heads, full auto reverse on both record and playback while the dbx models were equipped with a professional DBX-I noise reduction system.
    Braking was electrically-assisted, and the tape was handled by a dual capstan drive.
    A three position tape-type selector gave the user optimum bias and equalisation for normal, LH or EE tape.

An electronic digital tape counter gave 'real-time' positioning.
    Other features included:

• Pitch Control
    • Tape Lifter
    • Dupli-Sync
    • Illuminated VU meters
    • Auto Spacer
    • Auto Timer

The unit was available in matt black or silver finish, and either rack-mountable or in a wooden case.

http://www.bassboy.com.au/getreel/si...00r/x1000r.htm
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

One of my fav's

I had a 1/2 track Technics (not pronouced Techniques) that was a fabulous performer.
    It used a wrap around closed loop system and the transport was so smooth it would tight wind a reel in the FF or RW mode. It also included a 1/4" head for convenient playback.

But, my best buy of everything I have purchased in my life is a Fostex 1" 24Trk. Again, ultra smooth transport that tight winds in FF/RW. You can't do that on a Studer. A super smart control with seamless punch ins, a computer built directly mounted on the motor that knows exactly where you are in the timecode cycle and compares it with the LTC. Fantastic fidelity. This machine came out on the market at the same time as the much cheaper ADAT and no one would buy it. The Canadian distributor had to dump 20 of these machines for a huge loss. Retail $18,000. Wholesale $11,500. I paid $7,600. brand new!

Analog tape, yes very good!

I have a TASCAM 80-8 1/2" 8 channel with a DBX unit. Tape is expensive.
    Hard drives are not, mostly use a PC now days. John

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    8 channel ... Tape is expensive.
    Hard drives are not
    But what is the appropriate software for recording in multichannel (no stereo downmix)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    But what is the appropriate software for recording in multichannel (no stereo downmix)?
    There are dozen's of programs, all pretty much the same. Digital will do anything, mixdown in any configuration and the sound is every bit as good...different, sonically superior in many ways. But, here your talking computers and I don't like a purely computer production.

IMO tape holds a sentimental value that is over rated, but yes there are qualities that make it a richer medium in terms of that 'intangible texture.' In the same way film will always yield a quality video will never fully replace...but superior? Well for some applications it is just right--perfect. From an audio recording point of view, what makes tape such a musical medium is the purposely programmed "saturation" an engineer puts into the initial capture stage right off the floor. Some people like to go all digital and master their final product onto 1/2" tape. To me backwards thinking although it does yield a change. I have always believed in processing at the head of the chain.

I prefer a third option. Digitally based hardware and digitally based processing. Once the achilles heal, today AD/DA converters are cheap and sound excellent--period. What a lot of people don't realize is that a digital format through analog processing can yield a product superior to a purely digital domain. In fact it is the error introduced in the analog chain that gives the mix depth. Purely digital computer recording produces a flawlessly flat mix as every time you add a layer, the end product sums back to a single layer. Analog is the opposite process.

Thread Information