Thread: X-over for Altec 414Z

X-over for Altec 414Z

Hi,

Trying to revive an Onken horn system with Altec 414Z in a Petite Onken bass cabinet and Onken mid-horn.

I was initially thinking of replicating the Altec N-800 cross-over for the 414s - Does anyone have a schematic?

Alternatively, I could just do a simple LC 2nd order?

Thanks...

JJ

ARRGH! 16 Ohms?

I've posted N800-F all over the place, once we figured it out in the Valencia thread. 8-Ohm version is N800-8K.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=18913

I have no clue what an Onken mid horn is. Is it a compression driver? What is the impedance?

N800-F and N800-8K have a limited amount of compensation built into the highpass to knock down excess midrange response of Altec drivers on 811B horns. They are asymmetrical in that sense, not textbook.

Reading the thread now (from the start!)... very useful and looks like I'm going through a similar process.

Onken OS-450MT is a compression driver - impedance 16 ohm and is pretty flat other than a peak at around 1kHz IIRC...

Does putting the Zobel help with the x-over in the 414?

JJ

I don't know. Start with N800-F, and measure the result. Adjust the highpass for the flattest response in the crossover region and immediately above. Add HF comp if the horn and driver will support VHF, and tune the lowpass as required. Consider Zobel a LF response contouring element. None of this is textbook.

Frankly, I'd start off active to define the limits of what might work best....

Would be nice if I could go active right away... but beggars can't be choosers etc...

I was actually going for a N-800-D... Do you know if there are any differences? Is the N-800-D just a simple 2nd order cross-over or is there more to it (filters etc)? Looking at the pictures, there is only a pot to adjust attenuation for the HF.

Thanks again in advance.

JJ

You can go active complete with XLR cables for ~$150, assuming you already have a couple of amps.

Gonna cost you about half that to do passive, for starters.

I have no clue what N800-D is.

Ask on the Altec forum, maybe....

stuck.wilson
    i'd think your crossover would be entirely contingent upon your horn and driver combination if you were going passive..

what horn and driver are on top?

Thread Information