5 35.71%
  • I like to buy JBL subs based on in the field performance and be content

1 7.14%
  • No I’m not content with my JBL sub

1 7.14%
  • Yes I’m content with my JBL sub

7 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you content with your JBL sub!

JBL 4645

Are you content with your JBL sub!

I know a few on this site like making there own JBL sub for home entertainment as well as purchasing JBL professional sub for all types music and film. Question is, are you pleased with it are you content with its performance?

I know I’m pleased with mine otherwise I wouldn’t have stuck with it for this long. So yes I’m content with it. Sure at some point where I have the money to get newer JBL cinema sub…but until that time, comes around I’m content.

Post pictures of your JBL sub up to date pictures so get the camera out and get snapping.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Absolutely happy with my sub...super tight and quick

dual 10" (800 watts Bryston Power with 24db/octave BSS crossover)

They peak at 26Hz with a combined sensitivity rating of 101db referenced at 2.83V both channels independently driven.

Below Graph: 4th order Linkwitz Riley filter set @ 60Hz (4th bar from the left)

It looks fantastic.
    Which type of speaker, any equalization except the deviding network?

You'll laugh but....

These are JBL automotive drivers made in china!

Hey they work great and the build quality is excellent. I built the entire sub box for $600. about 3 years ago. The speakers were less than $500 for the pair. There is NO EQ in the system.

BTW...The specs I quoted are from JBL. Unfortunately, these speakers have been replaced and are a lot more expensive now. This model (GTI series) is a dual voice coil, 3 ohm load, 400 watts RMS. This project was a bit of a gamble as I only went the automotive route due to lack of choice. Boy was I surprised...couldn't be happier. The only draw back is they take a s--t load of good clean power and a pro cross/over to drive them properly.
    THEY SOUND SUPERB

JBL 4645
    For moment I thought it was one of TCB subs I can just make them out behind the grill are those the JBL GTO sub bass? Is that a custom diy made enclosure?

Edit
    Akira posted just seconds after me. I see the GTI series nice and size of that basket huge!

What’s the mounting depth of those looks like 16” to 19”?

The boxes are a little larger than I'd like, roughly 20" deep. The standard 19" rack gives you an idea of the dimensions. Though the spec sheet says 2 ohms the internal info states 3 ohms per coil which the Bryston handles easily. You can see from the "vented" graph the sensitivity out of car is 95db. (92db sealed box) My system has a 6db coupling + double power for a sensitivity rating of 101db.

I originally built them for L100's which they can over power.

JBL 4645
    Blimey that’s deeper than my diy enclosure for my sub! Damn I’d have hard time, squeezing that in LOL. Yeah looking at the rack again I see.I bet that enclosure weighs a few hundred pounds?

No, I can move it by myself no problem. I never weighed it but I'm guessing around 75 lbs. Here's the complete system to give you an idea of the size. You can compare the size of the sub to the L100's

JBL 4645
    Got any weighing scales in the bathroom? Like those JBL L100 in the carrying cases for on the road PA.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Unfortunately, these speakers have been replaced and are a lot more expensive now.
    This is the more expensive W10GTI version he mentions - notice the difference in magnet/cooling fin size, plus its specs are quite a bit heavier. Still differential drive. Not necessarily the "snappiest" sub, but fun to play with.

Edit: I just checked the specs below with the ones JBL publishes and they're slightly different, but still close enough for design, as I suspect we ran them for this specific speaker. JBL's are available at their automotive support website.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    This is the more expensive W10GTI version he mentions - notice the difference in magnet/cooling fin size, plus its specs are quite a bit heavier. Still differential drive. Not necessarily the "snappiest" sub, but fun to play with.

Edit: I just checked the specs below with the ones JBL publishes and they're slightly different, but still close enough for design, as I suspect we ran them for this specific speaker. JBL's are available at their automotive support website.

John
    GTI also has greater excursion (Xmax 1-way of 17.78 mm) letting it play ~0.5 dB louder.

If the Xmax listed for the other series is both ways (doesn't specify 1-way or both-ways in the literature), the GTI plays ~3.5 dB louder. This is a possibility as the GTI magnetic gap height is 1" as opposed to 0.39" on the other.

My 18" sub unit works well - as designed.

My beef is not with the JBL components but rather with the studio engineers and Hollywood types that created the 5.1, 7.1 format material which "channels" all the low frequency content to the sub.

Why did they do this?

I assume it relates to:

1. Smallish commercially available speakers that don't go low
    2. Manufacturors desire to sell more equipment and not necessarily to create a better soundstage.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    My 18" sub unit works well - as designed.

My beef is not with the JBL components but rather with the studio engineers and Hollywood types that created the 5.1, 7.1 format material which "channels" all the low frequency content to the sub.

Why did they do this?

I assume it relates to:

1. Smallish commercially available speakers that don't go low
    2. Manufacturors desire to sell more equipment and not necessarily to create a better soundstage.
    Most receivers have the capability to use the mains to reproduce the sub frequencies if you don't have a subwoofer. This should be included in your menu system if you have the capability.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post

Why did they do this?
    Actually, it makes good sense.

Comsumer-grade subs have an adjustable LPF on the rear. You can dial-in the roll-off that best accomodates your room, sub placement and taste.

If the LPF was on-board the pre-amp, that would require a great deal of re-engineering to surround devices already too crammed with stuff. Likely, the knob would have been placed inconveniently (for the user) onto the rear.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Below Graph: 4th order Linkwitz Riley filter set @ 60Hz (4th bar from the left)
    What source material was that - Pink? Just curious...

Thread Information