Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hartsfield owners : what amp ?

Bruno GINARD

hartsfield owners : what amp ?

HI all,

I have made a lot of tests with different amplifiers for the last 4 years ( Hartsfield's with E145 / 2441 with original diaphragm, 2405 , original N500 filter circuit with paper oil caps)

Differences are huge between every amp !

I actually use an AUDIONOTE P3 SE 300 b amplifier, alternatively with a PLinius Sa 102 Classs A...
    I love the sound of 300 B, but not too powerful for my large room ( 50 square meters) when listening Wagner or Pink Floyd, and not too good in bass ...

I love the bass ,the transparency, and the power of Plinius, but it's too "cold" for me after a couple of day, and there's a loss of details in comparison with the valve amp...

A lot of hartsfield owners are on this forum... what amplifier do you use , did you tried electronic filters and different amps for the mid and bass ...?

Best regards

When I had my Hartsfields(1970's),I used many different amp/pre-amp combinations.I liked the mcintosh c20/mc 275's or HH scott 272 the best.but I also added 075(n7000),changed out the 150-4c's for 130a's.but still never really got the bass I wanted.I ended up selling the Hartsfields and getting a le15/375/537-509/075/lx5/n7000 system(1969) in a Barzilay 7.25 cu.ft cab. over the years I played around adding 2 077's(n8000)and 2 075's(n7000)but ended up using the 075's.I also tri-amped(Rane ac23)but keeping all the tube amps up(Mcintosh mc 30/mc60/mc275)was too much work.I was hoping to add the 2-2245h's I got at the JBL tent sale(in 2000?) but never got around to using them.I think what this site needs is a swap area that members(real members) could swap eqiupment thats just sitting around collecting dust.

I have not tried the Hartsfield, but listened quite alot to the Klipsch LaScala II wich should be somewhat the same to drive.

What about finding a set of vintage Marantz 7/9 pre/power?`

McIntosh is also very nice.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by jblwolf View Post
    I liked the mcintosh c20 . . . I think what this site needs is a swap area that members(real members) could swap eqiupment thats just sitting around collecting dust.
    All right, I've got a Mac C20 (the pretty version without the gold "stripes") I've had in near-daily operation since the late '60s. I'm willing to trade it for some Hartsfields, or maybe a pair of L300s or 4333s. I know; I'm too kind.

But I really do have the C20. Most bottom-feeders started out as knowledgeable collectors. The rise in the price of collectibles just outstripped their growth in discretionary income! (I don't count college tuition for three daughters as "discretionary".)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    (I don't count college tuition for three daughters as "discretionary".)
    Investment into future?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Investment into future?
    Easy for you to say! I know what college costs in your country. Unfortunately here we don't share that same future-orientation.

Check here for cost of attendance at the most expensive colleges in the States. My oldest graduated from #1! My middle daughter is at #25.

http://www.campusgrotto.com/top-100-...otal-cost.html

By the way, that figure is for ONE year. And I'm not complaining. It was my choice to let my daughters choose. Certainly we had fine state (cheaper) options at fine schools (University of Virginia, The College of William and Mary). Those would have only cost "only" $22,000.

Easy for you to say!
    In Germany you can hear people say, either a car or a child.
    The car will be new about every five years, a child will stay at home for 20 to 30 years. Without beencounting the school system is simply payed by tax - you do not get what you have earned.

"Unfortunately here we don't share that same future-orientation."
    I think differently.
    Luckily our children are healthy and they are running on their own now. Future has arrived.

Time to buy some quality JBL.

Bruno GINARD
    I have never tried McIntosh amps.... maybe because i have a negative opinion about the sound of those huge and heavy amplifiers , in comparison of old Levinson's, Audio Research, or Conrad Johnson... but i love so much their great blue eyes...any models better than others ?

A friend of me have Classic Audio Repro Hartsfield's. He spent many many time to optimise the loudspeakers, and the couple amp-filter-speakers.

Listening his "modified" system ( krell Cd Player/Counterpoint pre amp/ and... QUAD 2 restored amps) was impressive... his Hartsfield's, with the same speakers than my, are fabulous...near the new Everest in term of dynamic, soundstage...

Hi Bruno,
    at the time I only had tube equipment.

When I lived in Michigan I made a few trips over to Classic Audio and met John.

his repops sounded amazing but it only reinforced my feeling toward the Heartsfield.

I liked the components in a bass reflex design.

the last 30+ years,Ive pickup/put together about 5 sets of the"S8"system.

on my everyday rig I have used Marantz 2285 & 1060,Carver m500,yamaha m85,Ramsa 1400,Dynaco 400,Mcintosh 752.

as you have experienced the performace is all over the road

and you are running pro components.

Bruno GINARD

filter

I have the same opinion about tubes amps... Did you use the original N500 filter, or another scheme ?

Regards

Klipsch Horn would be closer match.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I have not tried the Hartsfield, but listened quite a lot to the Klipsch LaScala II witch should be somewhat the same to drive.

What about finding a set of vintage Marantz 7/9 pre/power?`

McIntosh is also very nice.

-Tim
    I have only listened to one Hartsfield, in the early 1970s a store in the Chicago area took one in on trade, since the owner of the store was also a Klipsch dealer I tried to get him to do an A-B comparison of a Klipsch horn and the Hartsfield, but he said no. Just the same it would have been very interesting to hear.
    Over the years I listened to many amps, it difficult at time to heard the difference between good amps, but switch from speaker to speaker and the difference is very astounding.
    Yes, tube amps have a sound guitar players love because of the "fat" sound.
    Hi-Fi tube amps also have this sound and it is called "warm".
    Most of my early listing was done on tube amps, today I use Solid state amps. I still have an Ampeg tube bass amp driving D140Fs when I out on a gig. John

filter

n500h-n7000

Bruno GINARD

filter

thanks for answering....

I have the original N400 filter scheme........only an inductor for a 6db/ filter for E 145....

N 500 have a 12 db scheme.........I am going to try !

Hartfields amplifier

Late answer
    The JBL PL-100 was made for Hartsfield 1960 but never come in production
    http://web.telia.com/~u16130035/Pics/jbl_pl100_4min.jpg
    Made by H. Wolcott

Try this amps build on same topology
    http://www.wolcottaudio.com/

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno GINARD View Post
    HI all,

I have made a lot of tests with different amplifiers for the last 4 years ( Hartsfield's with E145 / 2441 with original diaphragm, 2405 , original N500 filter circuit with paper oil caps)

Differences are huge between every amp !

I actually use an AUDIONOTE P3 SE 300 b amplifier, alternatively with a PLinius Sa 102 Classs A...
    I love the sound of 300 B, but not too powerful for my large room ( 50 square meters) when listening Wagner or Pink Floyd, and not too good in bass ...

I love the bass ,the transparency, and the power of Plinius, but it's too "cold" for me after a couple of day, and there's a loss of details in comparison with the valve amp...

A lot of hartsfield owners are on this forum... what amplifier do you use , did you tried electronic filters and different amps for the mid and bass ...?

Best regards
    Sorry I am Late to answer,

I use the Cary CAD300SE with good results only lacking in Bass.
    I also use the Mac MC1201 mono bloc.

Regards.

Joe Lazaro
    Singapore

Thread Information