Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Subwoof loss :(

Very sorry for your loss. You have our deepest regrets.

Unhappy

My sincerest condolences Mike.

charity begins in the heart

Hello fellow forumites...

Thanks again for the wonderful thoughts and while we are not asking specific donations, recipients, etc any gift should be directed at places where it will do the most good.

While in Nepal adopting our daughters I was struck at the absolute poverty and the cleverness of the people in the mountains to adapt. 11,000 feet up means a boatload of sunshine but with no electricity, roads or communication, and a central government that had little presence, Only the UN was able to supply medical, education and other basic services.

The charity that my wife volunteered for here in ithaca ( and in nepal ) spends nearly 100% of their funds helping women in those remote regions have access to medical services, trains them to manage finances and also provides micro loans for self employment opportunities.

In that sense the trickle down economic model does work and allows the male-dominated society a way to accept ( and forces them to change..) Only boys are sent to schools and the girls are relegated to starting family's at adolescence.

Well that shit's gonna change one person at a time. The THREE older siblings of our daughters have now finished school and are students at the central university in Kathmandu, Nepal. One's going to be a pediatrician, another an economic major and the third is still deciding.

140 dollars a month gave them a complete primary education and all things needed for school. hell it was very close to my BEER budget....:o)

Anyways, decide what's best ( if any ) and go for it. I have plenty of speaker parts, amplifiers and such to keep me busy and in a decent cash flow for a long time.

And now the 4688 is coming out of mothballs for a test drive...with a drury-rigged MA10,000 crown monoblock.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    The charity that my wife volunteered for here in ithaca ( and in nepal ) spends nearly 100% of their funds helping women in those remote regions have access to medical services, trains them to manage finances and also provides micro loans for self employment opportunities.
    It looks like a great organization doing some fine work. Just a note to say there is at least one invalid link on their site (bottom). To make a donation, try the one at the top under "how to help" or use this: https://etc-nepal.ejoinme.org/MyPage...5/Default.aspx

All the best. Hopefully my three daughters have a Dad as good as your daughters do!

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Well said, Doug. Thanks for that beautiful quote.

Mike, I don't know how we can help, but at-the-least, we, those entrusted by Don, wish to donate on-behalf of the Forum at-large.

As well, others offer of help and Doug's posting reminded me that he's been singly instrumental in helping us raise and coordinate giving for other events here on the Forum. If he's inclined to help me again, we can initiate a special fundraising if you are in need. Please let is know. We will watch this space...

So very sad.
    Second that. A great blog of the recent years.

Mike and I shared a special bond when LH forum first moved to this new format, some 5-yrs ago. We discovered we both worked the earliest days of our pro-audio careers in The Jabberwocky, a reknowned club beneath Kimmel Hall at Syracuse U. I started as patchguy in '72, and worked up to engineer. Our first console was an Altec with rotary "faders", into flown A7's. Memorable times.

For those interested in donating, there are suggested charities on the blog page:

-----
    Instead of flowers please consider contributing to a charity. Sanna & Mike’s favorite charities are:
    - the local food bank (Here are hits of a Google search for Ithaca area food banks. Alternatively, seek one in your local...)

- the SPCA (Here is the Ithaca area SPCA. Alternatively, seek one in your area...)

- Educate the Children fund, Ithaca/Kathmandu. Go to the "How to Help" pulldown...
    -----

Unless Mike asks otherwise, we have decided to forgo an organized effort here and will chose amongst the organizations they support. We hope anyone inclined will do likewise.
    Just say (or write) the word, and I'll be happy to organize something, but I agree it's better to follow the lead already established by the family.
    Out.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Nice Bo!

Lost Love

Being married 25 years myself I often wonder what I would do in your place. I'd spend every moment possible with the kids and grand kids. After all, she lives in them. Good luck my friend.

better tell 'em

Damn.

I will be downtown later today and will stop by their offices and let them know..:o)

Thanks guys ( and girl )

Well done, well done,
    Out.

Well Done Bo. Thanks!

Awesome deed, Bo - thanks for all of us!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I feel my donation has been used well!

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Good Morning, Mike, Bo, Doug, and All,

I am so happy to see all this taking place, and fully understand the importance of it all! Sweet Bride and I will also make a donation on behalf of your lovely Sanna, Mike, and as has already been said, her beauty and inner strength beam forth from that lovely photograph of her, like a lighthouse beacon!! Having been super happily married to Sweet Bride for over 28 years, I understand the depth of feeling that such marriages, as you and Sanna shared, can offer two very special people!! All our continued best wishes to you and your family, Mike, and it's so very good to see you back at LH, doing what you do so well, and helping the rest of us with your vast experience and JBL wisdom!! Well done, and may God Bless you and your family, and your Sweet Sanna, always!!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I feel my donation has been used well!
    Glad to know that.

Thanks, to all.

FWIW, there was a measurable response. It was obvious this touched many that subwoof has helped, either through JBL deeds or posted advice here, or simply by Forum friendship. We are family (of sorts...), afterall.

Thread Information