Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L-100A vs L-166

Question L-100A vs L-166

Hello all. My first post here.

I've spent a lot of time listening to the L-166's at a friends house for many years. Great speaker IMO. I've heard many good things about the L-100. A matter of fact I've read so many good things about it that I just bought a pair. L-100A's to be exact.

My question is this.

What will I hear different from the 100's compared to what I've been hearing from the 166's over the years?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Earl View Post
    What will I hear different from the 100's compared to what I've been hearing from the 166's over the years?
    You tell us what you hear.

boomey bass ?

I have both, prefer the L166
    and generally the L100's sell for MORE.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Weird spike at around 8K with nothing on upto 20k.

I have had both. 166 Horizon is much more musical IMHO.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Hello all. My first post here.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Many of us trash the L100s and others find them to be near perfection. I wouldn't sweat it.

I own a pair and do enjoy them in a mid to near field listening situation at ear height up off the floor. In larger rooms with them over 6-10 feet away I don't much care for them. Oddly, they were originally designed as a mid to near field monitor.

I would agree with the couple of other posters here that the L166 is a more accurate and musical loudspeaker... and many newer JBLs are even better still. Do not assume just because a speaker is popular or expensive that it will please you more however.

Widget

I love the L-100. Have heard the 166, but the "unnatural" sound of the L100 is my choice.

L100: Fake, but also FUN!

L100 is a near-perfect small room (think: dorm room) speaker, if, as Widget recommends, you get them up off the floor, and if you want vintage JBL early 70s sound. Bigger room? Not so good.

The L166 is a better speaker in most respects, but I don't really like it as much. Perhaps it's important to disclose the fact that my first pair of JBLs ever was a brand new set of L100 Century speakers (with the in line drivers) and I still have them to this day.
    Out.

How about performing an A/B at your friends place.

I did this once with my Horizons (vs. L100). Blind test or not, IMO the result was predictable – he added L166's to his collection.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    How about performing an A/B at your friends place.
    Yeah, asking a bunch of people what they think beforehand is probably a good way to make sure one has preconceptions.

hosee
    I remember that the L-100 was the standard of reference which other similar sized speakers were compared in publications at the time (i.e. Stereo Review, etc). The writers felt that the L-100 was very accurate speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by hosee View Post
    I remember that the L-100 was the standard of reference which other similar sized speakers were compared in publications at the time (i.e. Stereo Review, etc). The writers felt that the L-100 was very accurate speaker.
    That's true. And then, science & technology marched on, and other speakers came out- lots of 'em.

I honestly keep trying to like my L100s, and...I keep trying. They're OK. I think others are better.

je

I really like the inline early L100's. I think that one reason they sound so good on 70's rock is a lot of material was mixed on 4310's. There are certain albums that the box seems to be uniquely made for...Carly Simon's 'No Secrets' and 'Who's Next' 'Yellow Brick Road'
    Off the floor they used the big boys, but in a down mix near fields were standard practice even back then and 4310's ruled the day.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I think that one reason they sound so good on 70's rock is a lot of material was mixed on 4310's.
    BINGO! You win!

Quote Originally Posted by hosee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I really like the inline early L100's. I think that one reason they sound so good on 70's rock is a lot of material was mixed on 4310's. There are certain albums that the box seems to be uniquely made for...Carly Simon's 'No Secrets' and 'Who's Next' 'Yellow Brick Road'
    Off the floor they used the big boys, but in a down mix near fields were standard practice even back then and 4310's ruled the day.
    That's exactly the reason I want to have these speakers in my repertoire. And since I'm a child of the 70's you can see what I'm going for here.
    I can totally see the whole "small room is better opinion" with these speakers also.

Thanks for the replies and all opinions gentlemen. I'll post on what I hear a few days from now after I've received them and have spent some quality time getting to know them.

Thread Information