Thread: 4345 Cabinet Construction...

4345 Cabinet Construction...

...so I'm just about to start building my reproduction pair of 4345's & I was wondering if anyone has ever done a pair having the veneer pressed on the MDF before doing the millwork, as opposed to after they're built?
    You could take a 48" x 96" sheet...rip it down to about 46" in width, laminate solid walnut on the edges & then once you pressed the veneer, trim the walnut edge to the front profile of the original cabinet...no?
    Would this not have been the way they were done from JBL?
    I refuse to veneer with contact cement & I can't really think of another acceptable method??
    Any comments...tricks...??
    I love cabinet making...just not MDF or veneer but I'm anxious to get them built!

Question:
    Are you planning a 45 dgree miter along the corners? They are difficult fit well, tend to open over time...

If you build the box with simple 90 degree butt joints, glued and screwed, you have a strong tight solid corner. Then apply the veneer and carefully cut the sheets at the corners like any other veneer or counter top project.

Besides, aliphatic resin wood glue has become a very viable method for veneering. Just role on a couple of coats of tight bond III wood glue on both surfaces, let dry. When ready, use a clothes iron on high and iron the veneer right on. The heat will activate the glue with no mess or fuss. No wild smell, easily repairable if something lifts in the future. Seem like a win-win for the DIY'er.

In this manner, you can build the carcass out of a really good quality material. I am using Baltic Birch plywood from my hardwoods & hardware dealer in a 60"x60" sheet at $75 each. I use every scrap of the sheet for bracing and blocking, and it takes a screw or staple solidly. (No MDF or ACX home center plywood for me, anymore.) Build it strong and right. Then the choices of veneers is staggering, as compared to whatever veneered plywood is available at the hardwoods dealer at $95 a sheet and up!

I have looked into this very thing myself and came up with the above conclusions.

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.

Scotty. (with nine fingers)
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Thread Information