Thread: Update 11-05-2008

Obsolete

Update 11-05-2008

Project May has undergone quite a few changes since the original idea presented by Mike Baker back in November of 2003.

First it was based on the old JBL 434x 4-way loudspeaker systems of the late 70's and early 80's. Then Don got JBL involved and it changed into a "K2-S9800 system with an extra pair of 1500Al's". I'm not sure what conversations Don had with JBL but I am quite sure of the conversations I had with JBL and it was pretty much an exercise in futility from the start. We moved ahead anyway.

Some folks wanted to stick a 10-inch driver in between the 1500Al's and the H9800/435Be for various reasons. Greg Timbers' response was "won't work" and the 10-inch drivers were not added to the complement. We could have bought a pair on our dime anyway but we didn't.

During this time Greg was just starting work on the Everest II system. He measured the dual 1500Al's in the anechoic chamber, along with the prototype network on the second 1500Al "helper", and passed the information on to me. I incorporated that prototype filter into the prototype K2-S9800-based filter and sent the whole thing to Mr. Widget. If I remember correctly, no one at the first listening session cared for any of it.

The dual 1500Al's weren't going to work for JBL so they came up with the dual 1501Al's. These drivers had a larger gap to increase power handling as well as a higher impedance to facilitate using in pairs. Same concept as the 1200FE-8 (4428) and 1200FE-12 (K2-S5800).

We are pretty much stuck with the 1500Al's and that means that Don is going to have to use an amp that doesn't have any problems driving a low impedance load.

It has taken us no less than a year and a half to obtain the replacement 1500Al's (two were damaged and JBL didn't have replacements at the time) and the new 476Be's to replace the 435Be's and 045Be's.

The delays in the Project have actually been quite fortuitous. The Project now consists of dual 1500Al's and the 476Be on the H9800. Don can run the system in MTM format or 2-1/2-way format. The biggest news is that we have finally found a craftsman to handle the responsibilities of the former Enclosure Team. I expect to get with him in the next six to eight weeks when I can make the eight hour drive and we'll get started on assembly of the final enclosures.

6 months later.... time for another update? there are those of us who wait with baited breath, or something like that.

Obsolete
    I'm waiting for the enclosures to be completed so I can finalize the networks and then arrange for delivery to Don.

I think JBL Consumer not making the components available has pretty much killed any enthusiasm for this particular project. Given that they are in the Loudspeaker System business and are no longer in the Loudspeaker Component business I can sort of understand their stance. I'd personally suggest looking at JBL Professional components for any DIY projects.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm waiting for the enclosures to be completed so I can finalize the networks and then arrange for delivery to Don.
    How does Don like the speakers>?

So what's happening with project May? I read some things but it's all dating back a couple of years.
    I can't find too much recent details about it
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Don,

Before you get too far ahead of yourself how about explaining from a high level to the wider Lansing Community what became of your project May?

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    This thread is meant to be the start of a project to develop a site specific FAQ that will replace the generic Vbulletin FAQ that is accessed from the header above. The credit for this initiative belongs to Grumpy who made a significant effort in 2008 to get the ball rolling and his work resulted in a substantial start. Unfortunately, it subsequently languished and my hope is that by giving this initiative a higher and ongoing profile we can get it in a more comprehensive state.

Mr. Widget restarted this initiative in the Forum Feedback board earlier this month, but I think it is apparent that board doesn't see enough traffic for awareness and participation by the larger forum community. Therefore, I am moving this initiative to the Lansing General forum for now, even though it's not entirely in keeping with that forum's purpose.

I'm a believer in starting at a high level and then working down into details so we don't get mired in detail right off the top. Therefore, I have the following suggested process. Let's try to gain consensus on the broad topics that we think the FAQ should focus on. From there, we can break each topic area into subtopics. We can then populate each sub topic with relevant questions. The last step is then either pointing to previous posts that answered these questions, or in the absence of this, develop specific answers.

I definitely want to preserve the work that Grumpy started so that we don't go back to square one. To that end, click on the following link to see the current state of that work:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post199694

To get this initiative started, I am copying just the topic structure that Grumpy started into this thread and I would like to evolve this into an overall framework for the FAQ.

1. Welcome
    2. Looking for Information
    3. Selling/Buying
    4. Repairing/Modifying
    5. Refinishing
    6. Replacement Parts
    7. Contributions
    8. Measurements

The first question is whether this represents a comprehensive list of the topics that would be relevant in a FAQ. I think there is opportunity for a number of further topics, but I'll let others weigh in with their ideas first. For each topic, there needs to be a definition of the scope of questions each one covers since there seems to be the potential for overlap (i.e. Repairing/Modifying has a degree of overlap with Replacement Parts). These definitions only need to be one or two sentences in length. Nonetheless, if you are submitting suggestions for new topics, please ensure that you include the definition of that topic.

This is as far as I'll take this post for now. It's time for your feedback on the approach as we develop a plan to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Don,

Before you get too far ahead of yourself how about explaining from a high level to the wider Lansing Community what became of your project May?

+1
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Still ongoing as far as I am aware. The roadblock has been building the cabinets and the hope is to have those underway shortly but it is out of my control.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Still ongoing as far as I am aware. The roadblock has been building the cabinets and the hope is to have those underway shortly but it is out of my control.
    Correction... it is simply out of control.

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

The problem is that we all have busy lives and this has been a very serious undertaking from the start. I wish I could have committed to building them, but I couldn't and haven't even been able to finish my own project that was started around the time of Project May. I am sure that the team who have volunteered to complete the task have every intention of doing so, but it is a large task and there have been so many delays.

There is money in the Project May account. Perhaps it is time to hire a cabinet shop, or pay a forum member or???

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There is money in the Project May account. Perhaps it is time to hire a cabinet shop, or pay a forum member or???
    Wardsweb suggested just that over the summer and I believe he has a full blown shop and trained professionals ready to tackle the task.

I think Don and the current owner of the build need to chat first.

I think Don and the current owner of the build need to chat first.
    I agree. I'll try again this weekend.

Don

Whats up with this project?

Im considering a similar project but with a bit different drivers.

/Mostly

whgeiger

Project May!

Hi Don,
    Where are the results?
    Regards,
    Bill

Thread Information