Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How many musicians do we have here at LH?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Wow! I didn’t know that I said I tried to play a tough guy. Just that I get off on playing good rock music with enthusiasm. And yes, there is a decibel code implemented on concert PA’s; it’s called “You.” If “you” think a band is too loud, “you” are free to walk away or use ear plugs. Yes, you can turn down a PA so it’s not loud. But, the whole point of live rock music is that it’s visceral. I like to feel the bass drum punch me in the chest. If you don’t like that, don’t go see bands that play that way.

If the audience sat there quietly and applauded politely after each song, like you suggest, EVERY rock band experiencing that would think that they must suck! So yes, you’re dead wrong as far as rock concerts go.

And you’re really making a stretch (actually an unfounded assumption) about each member trying to “outdo” each other without knowing me or ever hearing my band. I play loud, they mix in and it sounds good. Then, unfortunately for you, the whole thing gets amplified by the PA to an even louder level.

I don’t know when the last time you went to a rock concert was, if ever. But I can tell you that every band, including ours, doesn’t play nearly as loudly as bands did in the 60’s – 80’s. And I’ve been to several shows where the PA sounded very, very clear and detailed, just quite a bit louder than a typical home stereo. I don’t agree that “with PA it’s just noise! Overlapping frequencies producing random noise not music, noise!” PA’s today are very good and I’m sure there are many LH members who own and run PA’s who would agree (and be offended by your gratuitous assertion).
    I don’t mean to offend you. No I haven’t been near to a live PA band in years and it wasn’t even memorable to remember?

I do remember in the 1980’s being invited with other locals to see how the local radio station operated. It had live Jazz band playing on one of its shows and the pitch of one of the instruments was unbearable! That was in controlled room with acoustics.

I think it was the seating that was placed too close to band some 2 meters away?

I assumed you have worked with power tools don’t care about your hearing as you can’t control the level! I don’t like power tools myself and will always use ear plugs if I’m vacuuming for a long period I’d use earplugs because the noise doesn’t regulate up and down its consent noise!

Power saws I hate those things, but if the job has to be done, it has to be done. I think with earplugs!

I would say more people from 60’s to 80’s have serious hearing loss! For a ticket that no doubt cost no more than $10.00 dollars buys you a life time of hearing loss!

I like to listen to bands at 90db peak on middle range tones lows aren’t as ear busting damaging until its played at dangerous levels! I like the chest bass feel! Just as long as it’s not over 120dbc my ears ether buzz at 120 to 126db.

I read that some bands use bass kickers fitted to the seats so they can feel the lows. You don’t use any of these?

I was at collage early around 2000 doing a music course thou I was only interested in sound effects. some rooms were hired out for young group bands. Each room was fitted with an LED SPL db loudness metre that was set to 90db.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    What about earplugs then and do you suffer from tinnitus?
    WHAT??????

Seriously, I'm the only one in the band with permanent ringing in my ears. And I'm not in front of the guitar amps.

However, I am the only one in the band who used to work routinely with hammer drills, jack hammers, etc., so I think that noise added to the drums caused my tinnitus. On the plus side, I still seem to hear very well. At least I haven't noticed it getting worse.

I'm trying to prolong that by wearing earplugs every time I play the drums, go to a concert, or work around loud machinery. The band can't play any "quieter" because I love loud drums and the guitars have to keep up with my noise level. If I can't play the way I do, I'd rather not play. So, I'm stuck with loud and am religious with the earplugs.
    Yeah, my ears are all messed up too. Damn drummers were always too loud!
    Just kidding.

I'm not active anymore and one of the reasons I quit, among other things, because my ears couldn't take it any more and using ear plugs took a lot of the joy out of the music, for me. I had been jamming for about 20 years straight at that point in the mid 90's.

I got into bicycle racing, then had a kid and got married. Now it's 2011!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Yeah, my ears are all messed up too. Damn drummers were always too loud!
    Just kidding.

I'm not active anymore and one of the reasons I quit, among other things, because my ears couldn't take it any more and using ear plugs took a lot of the joy out of the music, for me. I had been jamming for about 20 years straight at that point in the mid 90's.

I got into bicycle racing, then had a kid and got married. Now it's 2011!
    Was it on the high hats then Bass kick on drums doesn’t bother me I like the kick beat it can produce. It’s the high hats that clashing shrilly sound that I can’t stand the ear is sensitive to that frequency range when hit hard enough.

Do you recall when you had an issue with your hearing and did you try to take precautions against further risk?

You know what they say when we get older we turn it down LOL

I play Bass & Guitar.

I started at age 14, but I did play Piano and Trumpet before that.
    I still play but bass at Church.
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

JBL 4645
    Well I play a little keyboard only it takes too f%(+_k%_ long to learn. I have Casio CTK-491 I haven’t played it in while I lost the notation sheets that came with it. It took me weeks to learn Beethoven piece, a simple melody. I forget the name tune??

It starts off with middle key notes.

I only play it once in while now...very once in while.

I don't get to play live as much as I'd like, but I still get to do a bunch of studio & overdub work. Here's a couple pics of the main music room with some of the current guitars & drums on display (plus about 15 Lansing-related products visible) and one recent live gig playing bass.

je

Name:  IMG_0203 (Medium).JPG
Views: 507
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  VAfront (Medium).JPG
Views: 630
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  VAtop (Medium).JPG
Views: 598
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  76006_1321691581420_1804759207_621347_1224833_n.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  55.7 KB

Jerry Seinfeld called, he wants his shirt back.

Interesting thread!
    So it's mostly Rock'n'Roll people here.... me, i play the piano and organ since I was six or seven - but because of lack of ... well... ultimate talent, I suppose, and also some unwillingness to follow a rigorous schedule of practicing when I was a teenager, I went on to become a musicologist.
    So today everyday work is mostly about the theoretical aspects of music, leaving me too little time to make music myself, unfortunately... every other weekend though I play in a piano trio, mostly modern chamber music, no "professional" ambitions, though.

Best regards,
    Chris

AWESOME room Fred!!! I'm drooling!

Is that clock melting, or did I take the wrong pills again?

+1

Nice. I have to get going on my garage addition!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Jerry Seinfeld called, he wants his shirt back.
    I've worn that shirt since before Jerry's show. Jerry & I are cool either way, I fixed his NYC apartment's AV system a couple of times, he owes me.

je
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is that clock melting, or did I take the wrong pills again?
    Thanks!

It's my "Dali" clock. The clock on the other side of the room (over the drums) runs backwards.

Come visit, you're not too far away!

je

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    +1

Nice. I have to get going on my garage addition!
    Judging by your collection, I think you'd be right at home here! Lots of P90s & other oddball pickup/string count/scale length options.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Thanks!

Come visit, you're not too far away!

je
    Deal! What county are you in? My sister lives in Amissville (sp?).

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Judging by your collection, I think you'd be right at home here! Lots of P90s & other oddball pickup/string count/scale length options.

je
    As Kramer would say..."Oh Ya.." w/the full body shake!

I have one more P90 to snag and that will be a gold top R4. I was actually looking for one when I ran across my R9 and fell in love!

Thread Information