Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many musicians do we have here at LH?

How many musicians do we have here at LH?

Greetings, All,

In a recently defunct thread, Neanderthal asked me a question about my former life as a professional musician. I responded, and asked for his own story. Then, the thread, which actually had nothing to do with any of that, was closed, which was probably for the better. But, I am still interested in hearing Neanderthal's story, and also from any others of you that play(ed) music. So, I am copying the original post here, and would very much like to hear how many of you are musicians. How many of you have played music, professionally, at some time in your life? How many still do so? If you used to play for $$, do you still play music at all? If so, what kind? Please share your personal situation, fellow musicians! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Here's my own story:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neanderthal
    Hi Doc....Just curious of your "professional musician career"...where for who? Thanks

Morning, Neanderthal,

Thanks for asking about it! Are you, or were you, a musician, too?

I played music in most all the clubs and hotels down in San Diego for many years. Went on the road for the first time in 1969, with "mixed" results. Later, I got into a traveling band, and for eleven months of the year, for five years, we were on the road, playing show and dance clubs, border to border, coast to coast. We eventually ended up working the Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Reno circuit, and opened for such acts as: Lou Rawls, Donna Summer, Roger Miller, Jimmy Buffet, Blood-Sweat-And-Tears, The Sunshine Company, Sopwith Camel, Taz Mahal (S/P), and many others. I ended my full-time career by playing in a house band (with very good friends) on the Harbor Cruise Boats, out of San Diego. It was a good career, and I miss playing music, quite a bit. However, I really did see some of the worst, along with some of the best times whilst so playing!! Drugs took a HUGE toll during those years, and even though I, personally, never indulged in such things (hell, I didn't even begin drinking BEER until I was 50 years old!), I watched many good friends die, and otherwise come to complete ruin, because of their choices back then!! Bittersweet memories, that's for sure. I played drums and sang lead vocals, both from behind my trap-set, and later as our front man/vocalist. I love Latin percussion, and play most of that stuff, too, as well as two horns. Tight vocal harmonies, and complex poly-rhythmic stuff always did it for me, especially when lots of good horns were added to the mix!! So, that's my story. What's your's, if you don't mind sharing? Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who continues to "play music", only now, it's 18th century stuff, done on whistles, fifes, and flageolettes, at Living History events! Fun!!)

Bass Player

I come from a musical family, mostly clasical musicians.
    I was the rebel played guitar and Bass.
    I have 1960 Start and a 1961 Jazz bass.
    Play in a lot of bands in the Chicago area.
    John

Played in bands throughout most of the 70s, all of it on the weekends. Being in the mid-Atlantic states, we did a lot of the beach bars up and down North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia plus the requisite frat parties.

These were what I called 'show' bands, with the 4 singers out front and a full rhythm section of Hammond B3 organ, guitar, bass and drums plus a horn section. Lots of the Motown and funky stuff - heck, anything that sold beer and we'd play it. In fact, we got really good at marketing by showing a potential bar owner how much _more_ beer we sold at our last gig than the bar's normal take - call it a Beer-Business Model. We would run Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at some bar and sometimes fit in a frat party on Saturday afternoon. I spent lots of time traveling late at night, of course. I can tell you there are strange people that come out only at night and inhabit those Waffle Houses you see along the Interstate highways. Anyway, it paid the rent while I went to engineering school and worked at a stereo shop as the bench tech by weekday.

Later, I did the Holiday Inn/Ramade Inn circuit playing with a pared down version of the old band on the weekends with much the same material until I got married and put down the horn - sax in my case.

It was 27 years later - this decade - that I picked the very same horn I used back then and started playing again only this time its been jazz. Have played in a number of restaurant/bar bands in the last 4 years doing the old standards, which are quite a lot of fun. Its low stress and no travel. Heck, I'm even practicing again!

So, there you are: One hobbyist sax player.

Cheers,

David

In my business, which has nothing to do with music....

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    Played in bands throughout most of the 70s, all of it on the weekends. Being in the mid-Atlantic states, we did a lot of the beach bars up and down North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia plus the requisite frat parties.

These were what I called 'show' bands, with the 4 singers out front and a full rhythm section of Hammond B3 organ, guitar, bass and drums plus a horn section. Lots of the Motown and funky stuff - heck, anything that sold beer and we'd play it. In fact, we got really good at marketing by showing a potential bar owner how much _more_ beer we sold at our last gig than the bar's normal take - call it a Beer-Business Model. We would run Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at some bar and sometimes fit in a frat party on Saturday afternoon. I spent lots of time traveling late at night, of course. I can tell you there are strange people that come out only at night and inhabit those Waffle Houses you see along the Interstate highways. Anyway, it paid the rent while I went to engineering school and worked at a stereo shop as the bench tech by weekday.

Later, I did the Holiday Inn/Ramade Inn circuit playing with a pared down version of the old band on the weekends with much the same material until I got married and put down the horn - sax in my case.

It was 27 years later - this decade - that I picked the very same horn I used back then and started playing again only this time its been jazz. Have played in a number of restaurant/bar bands in the last 4 years doing the old standards, which are quite a lot of fun. Its low stress and no travel. Heck, I'm even practicing again!

Cheers,

David
    I price my jobs according to man-hours. Does the music industry do the same. Five players plus roadies times a price per hour or some other way of figuring your charge. Most you ever made on one gig. Also, any good stories on trying to collect from a deadbeat bar owner, rowdy situations, etc.? Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, Doc.

I started playing in 1970 and worked my way through the usual lot of garage bands, etc. By college I found my way into a pretty good band that got its big break: We auditioned for the president of a large record company and were offered a deal. There was only one problem: Only one of the six members wanted a career in music. Me. We turned them down. That left me in the position of being a guitarist during a decidedly guitar-unfriendly music period and having to evaluate whether I thought I could work up another band and "get seen" again in the South where I lived. The odds were astronomical.

After falling in love with a beautiful gal, I decided to pursue a parallel course that used my skills but provided a more stable lifestyle and income for a family: recording engineering. That's what I've done ever since, working for a rather large media concern and working with some rather interesting and famous folks.

Looking back, and seeing the trail of damaged and unhappy people in the field, not taking the deal with the label was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me. I've had the lifestyle that allowed me to enjoy and take care of my family. I still play guitar seriously for my own enjoyment. And I'm still married to the beautiful gal. I'm a lucky guy.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

I think I was the only guitar player working at JBL during the 60's. We had a cello player in the furniture finishing department, but that was about the extent of it, as far as I knew. I went on to play professionally.

MJ Bing

Thumbs up

I have been a student of the Bass guitar
    for the past 5 years. Perhaps a musician
    in training.
    Last edited by MJ Bing; 11-03-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling

I played guitar, drums whas what I REALLY wanted to play. Parents WERE NOT HEARING ME AT ALL!

I DJ, and though I PLAY other peoples music, there is an artform to it.

I VERY much DO consider my sound system an instrument!
    scottyj

Scotty........

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I played guitar, drums whas what I REALLY wanted to play. Parents WERE NOT HEARING ME AT ALL!

I DJ, and though I PLAY other peoples music, there is an artform to it.

I VERY much DO consider my sound system an instrument!

are there pictures here of your place?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    are there pictures here of your place?
    Theres a couple of pics, search for the thread " My Eldorado, My Life "!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Theres a couple of pics, search for the thread " My Eldorado, My Life "!
    Quicklink - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12195
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I had started a thread a while back for musicians to show some of their toys, but didn't get much of a response:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...musicians+toys

I'm primarily a drummer, but have also learned a bit of guitar & bass. Played keys when I had to (recordings & theater work) and sing for fun, but rarely live or on recordings.

Recording & mixing & producing & arranging is another type of "instrument", to me.

je

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thank you Heather, as always, YOUR THE BEST!
    scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    i played trombone first, and then trumpet/cornet later, in elementary and middle school marching/jazz bands...

then i got into hanging out in bars/nightclubs

after i pass the CPA this year, i want to learn the piano...

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post

Cheers,

David
    I know this story; sort of lived it myself. I played trumpet for many, many years, including in an orchestra and on street corners. Also I did a couple of years in a college/post-college power trio as bass player playing college and high school gigs, then touring through the Great Lakes as a warm up band.

Later I picked up the electric piano and played and sang in an "Aquarian" ensemble. Groovy, man.

Once I got married and had kids, it all went away.

But my GF and I now have a music room, and we've picked up playing together for fun. I got a 1957 Conn Director off ebay and found my old Bach mouthpiece and for the first time in 38 years I played the trumpet. Thankfully, she's got the Clarinet and we're both in b-flat, so we can play the same music together. We even have CDs that accompany lots of the pieces we play that we can put in the many JBL systems in the music room.

Plus, I've been a singer (of sorts) all my life, and we have our own karaoke rig, plus we go to some of the Japanese and Korean karaoke bars in LA when we're feeling the urge to "perform" in public. I'm certain you'd all find it eminently entertaining.
    Out.

Thread Information