Greetings, All,

In a recently defunct thread, Neanderthal asked me a question about my former life as a professional musician. I responded, and asked for his own story. Then, the thread, which actually had nothing to do with any of that, was closed, which was probably for the better. But, I am still interested in hearing Neanderthal's story, and also from any others of you that play(ed) music. So, I am copying the original post here, and would very much like to hear how many of you are musicians. How many of you have played music, professionally, at some time in your life? How many still do so? If you used to play for $$, do you still play music at all? If so, what kind? Please share your personal situation, fellow musicians! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Here's my own story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal
Hi Doc....Just curious of your "professional musician career"...where for who? Thanks

Morning, Neanderthal,

Thanks for asking about it! Are you, or were you, a musician, too?

I played music in most all the clubs and hotels down in San Diego for many years. Went on the road for the first time in 1969, with "mixed" results. Later, I got into a traveling band, and for eleven months of the year, for five years, we were on the road, playing show and dance clubs, border to border, coast to coast. We eventually ended up working the Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Reno circuit, and opened for such acts as: Lou Rawls, Donna Summer, Roger Miller, Jimmy Buffet, Blood-Sweat-And-Tears, The Sunshine Company, Sopwith Camel, Taz Mahal (S/P), and many others. I ended my full-time career by playing in a house band (with very good friends) on the Harbor Cruise Boats, out of San Diego. It was a good career, and I miss playing music, quite a bit. However, I really did see some of the worst, along with some of the best times whilst so playing!! Drugs took a HUGE toll during those years, and even though I, personally, never indulged in such things (hell, I didn't even begin drinking BEER until I was 50 years old!), I watched many good friends die, and otherwise come to complete ruin, because of their choices back then!! Bittersweet memories, that's for sure. I played drums and sang lead vocals, both from behind my trap-set, and later as our front man/vocalist. I love Latin percussion, and play most of that stuff, too, as well as two horns. Tight vocal harmonies, and complex poly-rhythmic stuff always did it for me, especially when lots of good horns were added to the mix!! So, that's my story. What's your's, if you don't mind sharing? Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who continues to "play music", only now, it's 18th century stuff, done on whistles, fifes, and flageolettes, at Living History events! Fun!!)