Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How many musicians do we have here at LH?

one more musician here, new guy! Cheers

Name:  T9Tapas100910.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  42.6 KB

Nice LP and welcome to the forums!

Thanks, a new adventure is always fun!

Geez Fred (Sanford), how many axes do you have man that must be fun.
    Bern, always lusted after one of those gold tops maybe for my 50th!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Oh, yeah- you like it loud! I even have a few of the older version, the Tommy Lee signature sticks. Those puppies break cymbals if you ain't careful.

je
    Did you have the aluminum Tommy Lee sticks made by Eason (the company that makes aluminum baseball bats!)? I used to have a pair of them and loved them. Those things are over 17" long (long for drumsticks) and have a very bright sound.

I had been using Regal Quantum 9000's (very fat AND very long) for years. Regal recently quit making them. After much searching and trying different sticks, I've switched to a stick from Vater (the DSK) that is similar in lenght, but a little smaller in diameter. So far I'm pretty happy with them and ordered two cases. I prefer the leverage a longer length provides.

One thing I've had to do was dip them all in Minwax poly on the grip end. It seems all sticks are now coming with a smooth satin finish (maybe a "green" alternative to shellac ) that's really slick. I prefer the grip of glossy sticks when you have a little sweat on your hands (I know it seem contradictory, but glossy sticks "stick" better to my hands). And I don't like wearing gloves or using grip tape. In a pinch, I'll pour Coke on my hands and let it dry before we play live to ensure my hands are sticky.

I've trashed plenty of cymbals, but don't worry, I only abuse my stuff; never other people's kits. I got the $40 "you break it, we'll replace it" warranty on a cymbal I bought from Guitar Center about 6 months ago. We'll it's starting to crack, so I'm going to try the warranty. If it works, I'll buy it from now on. Just hope there's no "fine print" for them to wiggle out of it. Cymbals are getting ridiculously expensive. I guess it's tied to the commodity market price of the metals. I used to get Paiste 18" 2002's or RUDE's for around $180. Now they're up to around $220!

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Geez Fred (Sanford), how many axes do you have man that must be fun.
    There's a dozen or so that are "family", and the rest (currently another dozen) are "foster kids"...they'll get the love & care they need and then either get adopted here permanently or find new, loving homes. So, usually around 15-18, but right now 24-26 with the latest crop that's come in. I found in the past that it gets kind of unwieldy when it starts to get up around 30.

It's kinda nice when it's time for overdubs- there's lots of textures & feels & sounds available.

je

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Did you have the aluminum Tommy Lee sticks made by Eason (the company that makes aluminum baseball bats!)? I used to have a pair of them and loved them. Those things are over 17" long (long for drumsticks) and have a very bright sound.

I had been using Regal Quantum 9000's (very fat AND very long) for years. Regal recently quit making them. After much searching and trying different sticks, I've switched to a stick from Vater (the DSK) that is similar in lenght, but a little smaller in diameter. So far I'm pretty happy with them and ordered two cases. I prefer the leverage a longer length provides.

One thing I've had to do was dip them all in Minwax poly on the grip end. It seems all sticks are now coming with a smooth satin finish (maybe a "green" alternative to shellac ) that's really slick. I prefer the grip of glossy sticks when you have a little sweat on your hands (I know it seem contradictory, but glossy sticks "stick" better to my hands). And I don't like wearing gloves or using grip tape. In a pinch, I'll pour Coke on my hands and let it dry before we play live to ensure my hands are sticky.

I've trashed plenty of cymbals, but don't worry, I only abuse my stuff; never other people's kits. I got the $40 "you break it, we'll replace it" warranty on a cymbal I bought from Guitar Center about 6 months ago. We'll it's starting to crack, so I'm going to try the warranty. If it works, I'll buy it from now on. Just hope there's no "fine print" for them to wiggle out of it. Cymbals are getting ridiculously expensive. I guess it's tied to the commodity market price of the metals. I used to get Paiste 18" 2002's or RUDE's for around $180. Now they're up to around $220!
    Don't have the aluminum sticks, but I did have some graphite sticks for a while- they transferred way too much shock back up through my wrists, they were bad for me. The big Tommy Lee sticks are good for certain things, but as mentioned you really need to adjust your cymbal technique to avoid busting cymbals. I've even broken snare hoops with those sticks.

I also miss the sand coating that ProMark had for a while, where the sticks were red & the grips grey? They worked well for me. They also discontinued my all-time favorite stick, the Golden Oak 808 Billy Cobham stick...more dense than the Japanese oak, more weight down towards the tip of the stick. I bought a gross of them when I heard they were discontinued, I think I'm down to about 8 left- they only come out for critical recording sessions now. I shatter hickory sticks within the first song, usually, except for the big Tommy Lee sticks.

je

I found in the past that it gets kind of unwieldy when it starts to get up around 30. It's kinda nice when it's time for overdubs- there's lots of textures & feels & sounds available. je
    I bet!
    I am sure it does come in handy to have all the little nuances of each individual guitar at your disposal, it must be fun.
    Just Play Music.

A few more that I've photographed on recent sunny days:

This one's a '68 Kalamazoo (by Gibson) KG-2A, a recent grab that still needs some work. The lead pickup is out of a ~1970 SG100:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A ~'68 Teisco Del Rey KET-230, I've had this one since the early '80s. Yard sale, $35, LOTS of work here & there to make it play right:

A LONG-term project, this one's a '75 Gibson L6-S Deluxe that I've had since the mid-80s. Bought it as a factory reject, just wood & frets. Painted by Mercedes Benz Manhattan in their 1990 300CE Garnet Red. Tuners/pickups/pots/toggle/jack from my first guitar, a long-gone '71 SG Deluxe. Custom-made pickguard, new bridge/nut/knobs/trim rings/etc. Now I just gotta start fixing up the case...

Another long-term project (~1995 > present), this one's the TeleBastard. Made entirely from parts lying around my house, lots of 'em mis-matched & hacked to fit. It's finally playing really, really well. Warmoth body, Jackson strat neck, Duncan 5/2 rhythm pickup, Fender SCN lead pickup by Bill Lawrence.

ESP M200 LTD, arrived recently as partial payment/"thank you" for mixing a concert DVD for a friend's band.

1995 Vantage VST 33 CE TBK 6-string, I wanted a stage acoustic with a shallow body/cutaway/preamp.

Name:  IMG_3386a (Medium).JPG
Views: 1963
Size:  62.7 KB

1993 Hohner TWP600B. Useful for songwriting sessions & beach parties.

Name:  IMG_3391a (Medium).JPG
Views: 1000
Size:  40.9 KB

The big Tommy Lee sticks are good for certain things, but as mentioned you really need to adjust your cymbal technique to avoid busting cymbals. I've even broken snare hoops with those sticks. (my added emphasis)

je
    U DA MAN!!!!

Thread Information