Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSS Omnidrives Vs DBX Driverack

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post

I dare somebody to start a thread listing every "three letter" audio device company in the last thirty years...
    TAD
    DBX
    DAS
    API
    EAW
    BGW
    MXR
    BSS
    XTA
    BMS

Just a few to start with,
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    As I said with DSP you EITHER DO IT OR YOU DON'T!
    Or just buy some of the old analgue gear people are virtually giving away on eBay as they jump on the DSP bandwagon.

Thanks for your detailed responses guys, BSS is my preference over DBX coz I was put off by the DBX 223 Xovers years ago, they are way too harsh sounding for my liking and I did'nt think much of their VCA's in earlier gear either compared to Aphex's stuff. I don't have the $$ for a DEQX so I will have to strike that off my list. I have only used the BSS FDS360's and they have a good clean sound with a nice detailed top end. Their analog design craps all over the DBX stuff IMHO, Burr Brown OP series chips throughout and matched resistor networks on the same substrate on the differential inputs and outputs for temp stability and tracking tells me that the designers know their stuff and went the extra mile with the design of the FDS360's ... I think this is generally typical of BSS stuff from what I hear.

Thanks Tim for clarifying the failures between the Omnidrives and the Soundweb.
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

A word of caution if you should try a DBX Drive Rack model ( would not be my choice though) they will produce a very nasty output spike one powering down and some what on powering up, make sure you take note of you power up sequence and power down sequence. The DBX 260 does not produce the power spike and has internal jumpers for input and out levels if they need to be changed.

Mike Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    ...(smaller than gasket)...
    Now that's funny! Nice edit, John - gave me a hella good laugh...

btw, we're in Sebastopol next weekend. I hear the hall pretty much sucks. Oh goody...

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    btw, we're in Sebastopol next weekend.
    Where and what night? 'Might have a chance to get out, but right now it's really a day-by-day thing...

John

The Community Center, Saturday. Weird. There's all sorta halls around the northbay and this one they use and have to drag a PA into...

RIP 2009
    The Community Center, Saturday. Weird. There's all sorta halls around the northbay and this one they use and have to drag a PA into...
    Saturday the 15th? If so, maybe, but we're having a long-planned jam session with some old friends tomorrow, the 8th.

I thought you might be playing this little "word of mouth place" outside Sebastopol that caters to the underground - 'not sure if it's still even running...

John

short_circutz
    Yeah, and i realized after i posted DBX is down to 2 models.
    There are more than 2 models available.

The dbx Driverack only has a GEQ.
    It has parametrics on the outputs.
    I was also left with the impression that the dbx is less flexible as far as I/O configurations, but that may not be valid or correct.
    I/O configs/routing are not able to be user configured on the Driverack PA, but are available on the Driverack 260.

Edit: DING!! (smaller than gasket) At least the DR260, (and I believe the DRPA series), give you the choice between GEQ or 9-band *full* parametric.
    DRPA has only graphic available on the i/p, and only parametric available on o/p's.
    BTW - the DR260 is so much more flexible than the DRPA, (including computer interface and routing flexibility), that there's almost no comparison.
    The 260 also has better limiting with its Peakstop Plus limiters over the DRPA.

Don't blow a gasket, John... The older units did not offer the choice - actually they did, but I think the PEQ's were limited to only maybe 2 filters. Like I said, no choice. The 260 certainly does have the option as does the PA. But, these are inferior to BSS Omnidrives, for sure.
    Depending on crossover configuration in the DRPA, there are 2 to 3 PEQ filters on each output.

I know alot of guys using the DBX entry level units, my biggest problem with it was its input front end. JUST not sturdy enough, and too easy to overdrive, makes a crackling sound.
    Never had the issue with my DRPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    A word of caution if you should try a DBX Drive Rack model ( would not be my choice though) they will produce a very nasty output spike one powering down and some what on powering up, make sure you take note of you power up sequence and power down sequence. The DBX 260 does not produce the power spike and has internal jumpers for input and out levels if they need to be changed.

Mike Caldwell
    Only the DRPA has the turn-on/turn-off o/p spike issue. Generally, anyone who uses one should have a small UPS in the rack with it to allow you to be able to keep it powered up for a short period pf time in case of accidental or other forms of A/C loss.

The rest of the Driverack models don't have this issue and why DBX has not corrected it is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by short_circutz View Post
    The dbx Driverack only has a GEQ.
    It has parametrics on the outputs.
    Yeah, that was my point.

Typically, I try to not edit the output filters because those are intended to be application / box specific. "Live" edits are typically made to the input stage, and John is right - one can specify either GEQ (28 band) or PEQ (9 band) for the input stage in the DR260 EQ setup.

does the drivrack 260 knows an auto-delay and phase adjustment with the use of the microphone or is it 'just' to setup the eq? I know there are two sorts of callibrations you can choose from?

I know the omnidrive has an auto allignment function which can correct both phase and delay. pretty neat feature IMO..

Far as I know, the DR260 has no "auto" delay. I presume the cabinet / system presets have imbedded delays, specific to the preset. Otherwise, the delay (on both inputs and outputs) is set manually.

There is no auto delay on the 260, as for the auto EQ I would not really trust that to be your final EQ setting. The auto EQ always tries to achieve a flat response by applying lots of boost at the frequency extremes. That can very bad if your system low end cabinet is only really good down to say 40hz or so. Lots of amp head room lost and potential over excursion of the woofers.

driverack 260

I've been listening with interest. As a more than casual less than professional user of the dBX dr260; I found it very easy to use to eq my subs , once I acquired the RTA-M mic the setup of both my DIY 2445 & my sr4719 was easy and gave great results fast.

Maybe others can hear better than me (no doubt), but the setup was exceptionally easy; and the use of the windows GUI was pretty straight-forward; especially for someone who has learned most of the details on setting up a system by osmosis (or so it feels sometime).
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

I am nearly going on a digital XTA pocessor. Did anyone had experience with ? It will replace my old M553ex.

JBl crossover is good, but I always have problems to adjust precisely the gain and frequencies. Bloody pots !!!
    Regards Stephane

Thread Information