Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSS Omnidrives Vs DBX Driverack

BSS Omnidrives Vs DBX Driverack

Is anybody using BSS Omni drives, either FDS-334T or FDS-336T? I would be interested in your opinions. Does anybody have any direct experience with comparisons with the DBX Drive Racks Vs the BSS Omin drives...... many thanks, OR is one better off going down the DEQX road.
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

I have a 366t, and I used it the year before this past summer, and THOUGHT it prettygood, ONCE you get it dialed in for your system. Then I returned to Analog crossovers, and havent been able to get into that BSS again. This last summer, I DID try the BSS twice, first time I had it in for 2 days, and then took it out, the second time i put it in, 5 minutes later I was taking it out. Its a good unit, takes time to tweak it to get optimum results, BUT I find IT a BIT bright. Widget had put it the best, sounds like the way a TV looks if you have the contrast up too high.

I have heard the DBX units, to my ears, these sound voiced to be a bit warmer, and they have entry level, middle ground, and their flagship unit.

DEQX, as far as DSP processing goes everyone seems to say this is the BEST.

I have heard Dolby Lake and Lake and DEQX were part of each other. The Pros love Lake. I think Lake does sound good, if set up properly, but I still prefer analog over this!

This is what I got to give! Hope it helps.

Are you interested in a BSS 366t?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post

This is what I got to give! Hope it helps.

Are you interested in a BSS 366t?
    Thanks for your time to comment Scotty, I love the BSS analog gear over the DBX analog stuff but was'nt sure about the digital domain gear. I was talking to the OZ BSS/DBX distributor and they told me DBX have rationalised their product range and now only have available the 260 and the 4800, the price variation is huge between the 2 models. I am just wondering if the digital path is more trouble than it's worth. I suppose I was hoping for something that would "auto" correct for room anomalies without adding phase distortions in the eq process but this may be a big ask. The thing I did like about the Omnidrive was that it will interface to SMAART Live software ......
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Quote Originally Posted by jblbgw_man View Post
    Thanks for your time to comment Scotty, I love the BSS analog gear over the DBX analog stuff but was'nt sure about the digital domain gear. I was talking to the OZ BSS/DBX distributor and they told me DBX have rationalised their product range and now only have available the 260 and the 4800, the price variation is huge between the 2 models. I am just wondering if the digital path is more trouble than it's worth. I suppose I was hoping for something that would "auto" correct for room anomalies without adding phase distortions in the eq process but this may be a big ask. The thing I did like about the Omnidrive was that it will interface to SMAART Live software ......
    Yeah, and i realized after i posted DBX is down to 2 models. Although the DBX website still lists several models.

The 4800 is The Flagship DBX unit.

With the 366t, and the correct mic, it will auto time align, and EQ, etc. It has SO many functions and features, its mind boggling. +/- 15DB input gain, +/-15DB output gain. You can do 6,12,18,24,36,48 or WHISEWORKS filters, Bessl, Butterworth or Linkwitz-Riley shapes, Paranmetric EQing, Bell or Shelving filters, Time alignment, phase alignment, polarity adjut, compression, and limiting. 2 way + mono sum subwoofer out, 3 way, 4 way, it is an INTERESTING UNIT, all the others are too. The one thing about auto alignment, though, is pretty much every pro I know, says they do it better, than what they get from auto correct features. And maybe not so much that the auto setup, or auto correct features aren't accurate as much as someone sets up a sound to their taste?

Is it worth it to go down the digital path? Hard to say yes or no! 1 year ago, I would have said NO, 100%. Today, I say I dont know your system, your room, or your TASTE! It might be. I can tell you that while the BSS 366t is CLEAN, and very feature laden, it is not as warm sounding as analog crossovers. BUT, and this is a big BUT, what I didnt like about it through MY speakers MAY, in fact have MUCH to do with MY speakers, NOT the processor. Lets say you have cone mids, not 2in comp driver on horns as I have, now all of a sudden, what sounds BRIGHT to me, sounds GREAT to you, ya know?

I know digital is getting better all the time, and not like WELL does it sound like something yet? More like YO this shit is getting gooood!

The least expensive DBX is really an entrylevel product, not saying it's bad, but it is entrylevel. So, IF you have a better than decent system at your home, it may not be good enough for you.

The DBX-4800, yes, COSTLY!

DEQX, VERY COSTLY, but, they ALL LIKE this one! But your going to pay.....

I at one time, I might have suggested to buy the DBX 260, as ITS CHEAP, BUT digital unlike analog, if you dont get good, you also dont get good sound, whereas analog, less costly units sounded OK, you knew you can and will get better when finances allow, but it was OK sounding. With DSP you buy cheap, and you GET the same thing in return, THIS IS MY OPINION. And my experience with DSP. Some swear by the Behringer, i've heard small systems with them, don't quite hear what they say they hear, BUT who am I to judge, I don't have to live with their system! Analog you could do economically and get good results, DSP you either do IT or you DON'T! As I see it.

Of course, at some point, we will have DSP that sounds good at all pricepoints, I just don't think we are quite at that point yet.

Thats about the size of it! From my point of veiw.
    scottyj

Whats your application?

How much money do you have to spend on a speaker processer?

IMHO-the BSS wins hand down between your lower cost choices you have specified.

Now if you want to discuss pure sonics go down the DEQX path (are they still supported since Lake went away ? ) or with an XTA.

Oldmics

Interesting thread.

Makes me think back on how digital has changed over time. Remember back in the early 80's the sound of the original algorithm synths and drum machines? Remember how impressed you were when the first digital sampling units came out? And then there is the DA AD converters going from 16 bits up to 48-96 and now even higher.

Was a time when I really didn't like digital effects/processors all that much except maybe for the convenience. Now when I use the new Waves digital processors I go like: "Oh, wow!". Imagine what it will be like when the next generation ICs come out using light instead of electrons for processing! Then there will be some OP amps that are really transparent and uncolored.

Lar

We have used and sold both units here....the DBX definately has its own sound...what comes out does not sound like what goes in. Ths Omnidrives are tremendously versatile,sound good, and are the most prone to failure. 2 years is the most we have gotten out of one before the power supply fails...no question, it will fail. Out of some 200 we installed, we have replaced or repaired 185 of them. The old analog BSS stuff was pretty nice, like the FDS 360 crossovers, otherwise, Better Bring Spares....

I guess I better chime in. I run into all varieties of these, all the time, in adverse conditions (limited time before downbeat to de-program some stupidity that has crept into the settings by visiting band engineers (and/or lazy house engineers who have done similar or not remedied the infraction...).

Quote Originally Posted by jblbgw_man View Post
    The thing I did like about the Omnidrive was that it will interface to SMAART Live software ......
    That is fancy (and I like it too!), but not necessary. The front display is plenty accessible and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    IMHO-the BSS wins hand down between your lower cost choices you have specified.
    +100 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    Now if you want to discuss pure sonics go down the DEQX path (are they still supported since Lake went away ? ) or with an XTA.
    Bonus +100 points on the xta. But, back on topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    We have used and sold both units here....the DBX definately has its own sound...what comes out does not sound like what goes in.
    Man, I LOVE that quote. A beaut!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    The Omnidrives are tremendously versatile, sound good, and are the most prone to failure. 2 years is the most we have gotten out of one before the power supply fails...no question, it will fail. Out of some 200 we installed, we have replaced or repaired 185 of them. ....
    I have not personally experienced this. But, since I don't own one, maybe I missed the "Oh, damn!" night.

The dbx Driverack only has a GEQ. That is a severe limitation and big differentiator. But, while the BSS have PEQ's, there are a limited number available. If you use too many on the outputs, there will be few (if any) left for the inputs. That sucks, but relates to the processing power required to handle all those instructions sets (read: filters). It is easy enough to work around, and you should have a separate outboard GEQ in any case for quick, and room-related filters.

I was also left with the impression that the dbx is less flexible as far as I/O configurations, but that may not be valid or correct.

Overall, I'm with Oldmics - BSS are the hands-down winner of the two you mention. That's why I almost always carry a spare xta DP448 with me to every walk-in I do...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    The dbx Driverack only has a GEQ. That is a severe limitation and big differentiator.
    Edit: DING!! (smaller than gasket) At least the DR260, (and I believe the DRPA series), give you the choice between GEQ or 9-band *full* parametric. I'd have to check, though, in that I believe at any given point where you can use EQ you have to select between one or the other, (they can still be intermixed at the same time - just not the same place). I may even be wrong on that count, it's been so long since I've played with that area. I do plan on having the DR260 fired up over the weekend - I'll take a look.

BTW - the DR260 is so much more flexible than the DRPA, (including computer interface and routing flexibility), that there's almost no comparison.

Surely, I'd love to have access to the level stuff you guys get to use, but us "homegrown" budget band types at least get to play with some fun stuff, even if it isn't always state of the art. And the learning experiences have been invaluable!

John

I wouldn't use the DRPA. The 260 is OK but anyless less definitely has "it's own sound" as stated above.

better still, get hold of a rebadged XTA unit, i.e. Turbosound, etc. get the "unlock" code to free up some serious processing on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    GONGG!! At least the DR260, (and I believe the DRPA series), give you the choice between GEQ or 9-band *full* parametric. I'd have to check, though, in that I believe at any given point where you can use EQ you have to select between one or the other, (they can still be intermixed at the same time - just not the same place). I may even be wrong on that count, it's been so long since I've played with that area. I do plan on having the DR260 fired up over the weekend - I'll take a look.
    Don't blow a gasket, John... The older units did not offer the choice - actually they did, but I think the PEQ's were limited to only maybe 2 filters. Like I said, no choice. The 260 certainly does have the option as does the PA. But, these are inferior to BSS Omnidrives, for sure.

RIP 2009
    'Wasn't blowing a gasket, just correcting a blanket statement...

John

When I was messing around with DSP's in my system, my favorite ended up being the Yamaha SP2060. They can be bought new for less than BSS units you are looking at. I found the sound quality to be very close to a good analog crossover (I had a Marchand XM26 at the time). I've also messed around with the dbx PA, 260 and the BSS 336, and 366T. I'd agree with Tim that the dbx has its own sound, and with Scott that the BSS is a bit bright.

Now I'm back to a much more simple analog route and thats what I prefer, but the Yamaha was my favorite when I had a DSP.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/produc...060/index.html

Allen
    Last edited by allen mueller; 11-05-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling

I know alot of guys using the DBX entry level units, my biggest problem with it was its input front end. JUST not sturdy enough, and too easy to overdrive, makes a crackling sound.

As I said with DSP you EITHER DO IT OR YOU DON'T!
    scottyj

Please accept my humblest apologies to the group...I had a senior moment and replaced "Soundweb" with "Omnidrive" for the day. The Omnidrives are good sounding units, for live, however, to me the processing speed gets in the way. The Soundweb processors are the most guaranteed to fail device I have ever dealt with. We are at almost 90% failure rate, and still climbing.
    Bo,
    You agree with me DBX stuff has its own "sound"?
    JBL BGW guy,
    Great choice! My favorite "3 letter company" combination of all time!

I dare somebody to start a thread listing every "three letter" audio device company in the last thirty years...

Thread Information