Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ranking JBL 3 way bookshelves

Obsolete
    I thought you'd been to Audiobeer's place...

I like the LSR32
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I thought you'd been to Audiobeer's place...
    Yup, many times. He's never had any of his 4313B's or L166's wired up when I've dropped in. I did get a chance to listen to his L300's when he had them. I must say his L300's sounded perfect!

I had a set of 4313B's at one time. Never listed to them because the surrounds were shot. Audiobeer bought the cabinets and I sold the remaining parts on eBay.

i vote for 4310.

I just realized there is a rather obvious omission from this list... the HLS410, particularly with it's high power tweeter...

Lsr 6332

Of the ones I've heard I'd have to go with the LSR 6332 which i own a pair of or the LSR 32 which i used to own. The only others that i have experience with mentioned in this thread would be the 4311, 4312 and 4410.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by coherent_guy View Post
    I just realized there is a rather obvious omission from this list... the HLS410, particularly with it's high power tweeter...
    I had to Google it as I had never heard of the HLS... here is a pic for others like me who aren't familiar with it.

Not quite a JBL three-way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I had to Google it as I had never heard of the HLS... here is a pic for others like me who aren't familiar with it.

Not quite a JBL three-way.
    I seem to remember the HLS series being sold in Monkey Wards, and maybe Sears around '98

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coherent_guy View Post
    I honestly hope you're being somewhat facetious with that remark - seriously!

The HLS series is one of the more basic, entry level products put out by JBL to compete in the Best Buy arena, etc. All the cone drivers used are basic stamped sheet metal designs, with somewhat small magnets, voice coils, etc, though they are magnetically shielded. And the "tweeters" are what look to be mylar dome radiators, stuck behind a kinda' horn or waveguide. I actually had to order a "driver" replacement from JBL to repair one once on a set I'd picked up out of curiosity.

JBL made from the HLS410 up to the HLS820, including a center. For entry level speakers, they sound pretty good, but I would definitely put them at the "Best Buy" level of speakers.

I've got a pair of HLS610 and HLS820's sitting in a corner somewhere here, both pairs in excellent shape. If someone wants them, I'll let the 610's, (6.5" LF + horn), go for $50 and the 820's, (dual 8" tower + horn), for $100. If you come by and pick them up so I don't have to do anything, I'll take half that. Come up with a better idea, and they might even go outta' here free!

They're something I'd consider good as part of a "home theater" for a rumpus room or the kids - not something you'd be showing off as state of the art...

John

The JBL Century Gold speakers are the best that I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog View Post
    Yup, many times. He's never had any of his 4313B's or L166's wired up when I've dropped in. I did get a chance to listen to his L300's when he had them. I must say his L300's sounded perfect!

I had a set of 4313B's at one time. Never listed to them because the surrounds were shot. Audiobeer bought the cabinets and I sold the remaining parts on eBay.
    I have both. I prefer the 4313Bs for near field listening. Someday soon I'm going to finish the home theater room. That was the plan when the renones were installed.

3 ways I have owned are s38 and 4412A. I like them both.

LSR 6332 the best i have heard

Oh Come On!

"I honestly hope you're being somewhat facetious with that remark - seriously! "

Seriously, to put it mildly, of course I was being facetious! That I included a two-way system is of course a... Doh!!

The HLS series used a horn loaded tweeter less than one inch in diameter, and plastic cone woofers, and real binding posts on most models. About seven models total in the line, including some tower models, and a center channel. Circuit City offered them as a cheap upgrade with a Technics surround sound receiver and DD/DTS processor, which I took a chance on. They really weren't half bad. The HLS410 is a small satellite sized speaker (I have used as rear channel surround speakers) that has a four inch woofer. The concept of a JBL 4" woofer has always tickled me, and I can't help but be fond of them.

I made the mistake of buying an HLS center channel about 8 or 10 years ago.
    ...pure garbage!

Thread Information