Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL Metregon

Cool JBL Metregon

I have just purchased a Metregon at a yard sale for 250.00. The cosmetics are a little rough but I was able to take the back off, it is a JBL cabinet and as far as I could see it has 375 drivers and n7000 crossovers. Can anyone tell me more about this unit and it's worth?

Quote Originally Posted by dancingseamonky View Post
    Can anyone tell me more about this unit and it's worth?
    1). You never should have bought it.

2). You paid too much

3). They're worthless

4). No one here knows anything about them

5). They're made in China

6). Put in on Ebay with a Buy-it-Now price of $99 and pray

I have just purchased a Metregon at a yard sale for 250.00. The cosmetics are a little rough but I was able to take the back off, it is a JBL cabinet and as far as I could see it has 375 drivers and n7000 crossovers. Can anyone tell me more about this unit and it's worth?
    Have you tried a Search on this site for Metregon?

Click the link above for Search, then type in Metregon, and you'll get 5+ pages of results.

I think the prevailing attitude is thats its a cool speaker for its era, very neat looks, but not so much to listen to ...

One of the threads had this mahogony version ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

A Different Opinion

In public comparisons the Metregon is usually given poor marks re:the Paragon, its much more expensive sibling. The Paragon sells for a whole lot of money, but not because of the sound.

Both speakers have been built with a variety of drivers. In the case of the Metregon, I wonder if there are two alike anywhere. I did not think much of the Paragon's sound when I heard it, but some Metregons sound quite good.

The 375's can be worth quite a lot but please don't part out the speaker unless you restore it with a better lineup of JBL drivers. I think the S7 type components sound much better in a listening room than the S8 type drivers (like your 375 equiped model). Just my opinion, mind you. By the way, you got an incredible bargain.

It would take a lot of work to bring it up to its potential - new crossovers come to mind - but it is it is well worth the effort.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

You didn't mention woofers.

There should be an LX5 crossover and with the N7000's
    there shold be some 075's lurking around :dont-know

We could advise better if we had lots of pics.

I love those stories about finding JBL classics at yard sales, flea markets. It does happen

I will be picking it up in a few days I will post pictures then. Thank you all for your help.

WOW, great find!! In case you didn't see this, from the JBL Library:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...964/page25.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...964/page26.jpg

Quite a few transducer options for that enclosure, so you should have some fun exploring that cabinet.

At the very least, a great center channel...

PS: The best I did lately was a Pioneer SA9800 and matching tuner for $5, all working fine and cleaned up nicely.

Thanks BMWCCA that realy helped my buyers remorse.

In 64 and earlier the Metregon could have had the 282 speaker system installed.

The 282 system consisted of two 150-4C speakers and the pair of 375 drivers mounted on a pair of H 5041 horns along with two N 400 crossovers.

Since you mention that it has a pair of N 7000 crossovers that would also mean that a pair of the 075 hi frequency drivers were also installed.

If its a fully loaded system they are quite rare (I have the same setup in my Metregon) and quite valuable.

That setup cost a huge amount of money in those early days.

The serial number should be on the bottom right side.Please let us know what it is.

Oldmics

Thanks BMWCCA that realy helped my buyers remorse.
    If you can, post pictures and information here - its always appreciated!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

JBL Dog
    Very nice score regardless of cabinet condition. I'm sure "nose-to-tail" has never listened to a Metregon. How can she possibly tell you it's not much to listen to? One of mine is loaded with LE15, 375 and 075 and it sounds wonderful!

If your Metregon is loaded with a premium 3-way system (S82 or 282), it's worth at least $3k.

Again, nice score!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog View Post
    Very nice score regardless of cabinet condition. I'm sure "nose-to-tail" has never listened to a Metergon. How can she possibly tell you it's not much to listen to? One of mine is loaded with LE15, 375 and 075 and it sounds wonderful!

If your Metregon is loaded with a premium 3-way system (S82 or 282), it's worth at least $3k.

Again, nice score!!

If you were to read my post, the actual quote was
    "I think the prevailing attitude is thats its a cool speaker for its era, very neat looks, but not so much to listen to ..."
    ... if that needs specific translation for you, it means "I believe what folks here have said in the past is ..."

Dogman, I can live and let live, but this is getting boring - get over yourself.
    Like I said, I'm not leaving on your account, - your predictable swat at me just gets old,
    and you really don't have to pick a fight with me everytime we are in the same thread,
    - its NOT adding to the quality of the discussion ...

Go find someone else to relieve your doggie boredom m'kay?

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    If you were to read my post, the actual quote was
    "I think the prevailing attitude is thats its a cool speaker for its era, very neat looks, but not so much to listen to ..."
    ... if that needs specific translation for JBL DOG, it means "no, I have no heard it, thats what folks here have said in the past ..."

Crap man, I can live and let live, but this is getting old -
    get over yourself - you really don't have to pick a fight with me everytime we are in the same thread, and its NOT adding to the quality of the discussion ... puhlease, find someone ELSE to stick your nose up into - I just finds it RUDE.
    I thought you blocked me?? WOW, that didn't last long. Anyway, go back to blocking me. And while you're at it, block yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lansing Heritage Forums
    "JBL Dog has not made any friends yet"
    Doesn't surprise me somehow!

And I'm usually very supportive of other schmucks from St. Lousy.

Maron Horonzakz
    Both of you,,Dont be rude,, Thats my job,,, As owner of both a Paragon and Metragon,, There is room for alot of variations.... I wonder what they would sound like with the modern JBL speakers of today,,,The 476 Be mids, 435 Be,, 226x woofers,, etc or TAD 1601a , 4001, 703 tweets etc,, once you have the cabinets the rest is easy.. But now being retired i have lost the fire to go forther...

Thread Information