Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More amp talk!

More amp talk!

Hi guys, I just wanted some feedback about crest amps. I tried several amps over the last few weeks and have settled on purchasing Crest 7001,s to replace my old Crown PSA-2,s. Any of you guys ever use Crest Pro Series amps?

I went through a bunch of amps, differing brands and varying power levels, and liked the Crest 7001 the best!

Anybody?

Crest

I have a good friend of mine who runs a good sized sound company here in Palm Springs area. They use almost exclusively Crate amps. His opinion is they are the most reliable amps around. I have never tried one in a hi-fi or studio environment. He told me this when I was asking him about QSC's and AB International Amps.

Hope that helps

Scott

I can"t believe it.You of all people going to Crest!!!!!

Now amps are a choice and a choice is based upon opinions.Of course there are as many opinions as a------s. Well you get the idea.

You have been a very vocal proponet of Crown amps and I have read your many posts touting Crown amps,I on the other hand have used pretty much everything out there and have stayed away from Crown products except for certain applications.

Simply stated,the Crest Pro Series is the best amplifier currently manufactured for hi power applications.Like many of the "H" class amps the sonic signature that they impart is almost tube like. Considered a darker sounding amplifier by the "Golden Ears" crowd that I know.They are best used for low frequency reinforcement due to there darker coloration.Huge power capacitors that are way overspeced for the job is the secret to there sound.That is also one of the main differences between them and Crown amps.

I personally use Crest 9001 amps for the sub and low mid freq information and a different manufactors switching power supply amplifier for upper mids and hi information.I did try hooking one up to my Paragon and got a sound very close to my Fisher tube gear (but tighter) with WAY too much wasted headroom.

You are making a very good move with this purchase.I will admit that the PSA amps were the most durable and best sounding amps from Crown-They were just never enough power and clipped way to easily.

Oldmics

RIP 2009
    I'm using Crest amps exclusively. I currently have a CA9, P3500, FA901 and 1501A. Only the CA9 is a current model. I swap them between pro and home use. Very happy with them!

Be aware though - many of the newer low cost "consumer" versions are built in China - I have it on good info that many of these consumer units suffer from stability problems if pushed hard.

John

Oldmics and John

I know it seems like Heracy, but it is time to make a move! My old PSA,s are just worn out, and I aint fixin em no more! Its true that the PSA 2 had a sound, but just wasnt enough power, especially with todays drivers.

I tried several amps, two being the Crown Macro-Tech 2400 and 3600. The 2400 sounds good, but is a little shy on the deep bottom. I could have liked this amp except for one thing, after two hours of use the amp cuts itself back and sounds winded. The 3600 has alot of brute force, and I really couldnt push this amp hard enough to to send it into ODEP, but I didnt care for its tonality on my subs! I also looked into Crowns new line of I-Tech amps, but they are just way toooooo much power for my application.

QSC Powerlight 3.4. 1200wpc@4ohms and didnt feel or sound like 1200 watts per channel to me.

Chevin Research A3000. Another fast, punchy amp I might like on my midbass, but lacked the ballsy deep bottom I love!

Crown K1. Borrowed it from my neighbor, it kicks and has power, but something about its sound I didnt love.

The Crest 7001. well, this amps has the sound on my subs thats clean, round, solid and punchy! One thing I noticed was more apparent deep bass through these amps vs the crown 2400. Another thing I definitely noticed was I can kick this amp without clipping vs the same level of sound through the 2400 I was pushing the Crown into clipping! I agree the power supply is at work here. And the Crest dont get tired, they just keep going an going!

I got two more on the way, and an 8002 for my J-Horns!

Pro series is the line of amps for me, I already knew that much as I had tried out a Crest CA series amp and it is good for the price but its not the Pro series.

I am still using Crown on my Bullet tweeters, two brand new D-75A,s and thats staying. All Bryston on my full range. But I am really digging Crest on the Sub Bass!

Last edited by scott fitlin; 05-13-2004 at 11:43 AM.

Re: Oldmics and John

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    ...I got two more on the way, and an 8002 for my J-Horns!...
    "I've got a hole in my pocket where pro audio get's in..."

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Re: Re: Oldmics and John

Originally posted by boputnam
    "I've got a hole in my pocket where pro audio get's in..."

so your saying my bank account looks like the grand canyon?

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Oldmics
    Huge power capacitors that are way overspeced for the job is the secret to there sound.
    Good morning (European time),

This is true and untrue!

What makes the sound quality is:

Signal to noise ratio (one cannot imagine how an increase of 6 dB will improve the sound quality),

The CMRR is you have a balanced input,

And this is almost the only significant numbers.

What makes the sound quality is the transformer, the bridge ad the capacitors.

Transformers: The way the transformer is winded, and a lot of other “things” will make your amplifier sound or make noise.

This is quite the same with the capacitors.

Out of several well-known capacitor brands with great number (high ripple current, excellent TSR, and so on) you can change the sounding of your amplifier.

You can have a medium quality-sounding amplifier even with millions of MF, of amperes and TSR, but its just making noise.

Using an other brand with the same number of MF, etc, will give you an amplifier making GOOD music, with a lot of low mids, a medium that is not aggressive at all even with horns, deep and powerful bass more that you ever heard, and a high that is so smooth and precise that you are just wondering if you are still listening to the same sound system and if the band that plays is the same or have they just increased everything (the name is the same, the musicians and singers are just others)!

The secret on an amplifier lies in the quality and the choice of the components used. I honestly doubt that a switching amplifier will ever make some music and that class C to Z will ever do some one-day.

RIP 2009

Re: Oldmics and John

The Crest 7001. well, this amps has the sound on my subs thats clean, round, solid and punchy! One thing I noticed was more apparent deep bass through these amps vs the crown 2400. Another thing I definitely noticed was I can kick this amp without clipping vs the same level of sound through the 2400 I was pushing the Crown into clipping! I agree the power supply is at work here. And the Crest dont get tired, they just keep going an going!
    There are a couple Crest 7001 amps on eBay right now...

John

Thanks for the heads up!

I bought brand new, full warranty, amplifiers. My reason behind buying brand new is that my amps will live a very hard life. Working through April thru October operating up to 14 hours a day in an enviroment that makes its own carbon dust!

Since the amps I chose are currently in manufacture I would almost always choose to purchase new. I buy items off Ebay that are hard to find, out of production, if I happen to be looking for the item at that time!

PSSAudio, I would have auditioned one of your amps had I been able to find them here in NYC! The Crest 7001 is a Class H output, and traditionally I have always stuck to Class AB design, but I have to say, the Crest 7001 sounds extremely good running two scoop loaded JBL 2240 18in woofers per channel. Very stern sounding, tight, defined, and solid punchy sound! On my full range I am running three Bryston 4B,s to power my 15,s and this amp DOES have the pedigree sound! The combination between Bryston powered 15,s and Crest powered 18,s works well! I know I like what I am buying and found a good sonic combination, so I do what my ears tell me to do!

PSS AUDIO

Re: Thanks for the heads up!

and traditionally I have always stuck to Class AB design
    Hi,

To B or not to B
    That is the question

Originally posted by Oldmics
    ... and a different manufactors switching power supply amplifier for upper mids and hi information.
    Name?

RIP 2009

Re: Thanks for the heads up!

I bought brand new, full warranty, amplifiers. My reason behind buying brand new is that my amps will live a very hard life. Working through April thru October operating up to 14 hours a day in an enviroment that makes its own carbon dust!
    What kind of gig is that???

John

Re: Re: Thanks for the heads up!

Originally posted by johnaec
    What kind of gig is that???

John
    This sound system resides at " The Eldorado Bumper Cars " 1216 Surf av Bklyn NY ( Coney Island ) right down the block from the original Nathans Famous Hot Dogs!

RIP 2009

Re: Re: Re: Thanks for the heads up!

This sound system resides at " The Eldorado Bumper Cars "
    Now that's some kind of car stereo!! What are you using there for speakers?

John

Thread Information