Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crown K1 or K2?

I'm using a Crown Macro 24x6. 2400 side for the four 2225's and the 600 side for two 2445's. then a Macro 600 for the two bullets.

I have the gain on the 2445 drive pulled way back to keep from splitting my head open at 35', and still have the inteligability(?) without it sounding so harsh.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    I'm using a Crown Macro 24x6. 2400 side for the four 2225's and the 600 side for two 2445's. then a Macro 600 for the two bullets.

I have the gain on the 2445 drive pulled way back to keep from splitting my head open at 35', and still have the inteligability(?) without it sounding so harsh.
    TOO MUCH POWER FOR TWO 2445,s Thats why they are screaming at you.

Do you have a DC-300A? f you do, try that on your 2445,s 1 per channel. Hey scott I run 6 JBL 2441/2395,s on 1 DC-300A and Im NOT lacking volume, but for sure this will be a tamer sound. AND it will improve your bass, dramatically!

Your 2 bullets! Macro 600 is an awful lot of power for them, I imagine they must get kind of shrieky sounding?

1 D-75, 1 bullet per channel should be more than enough, and they will sound a whole lot more sparkly,too. I run 16 bullets on 1 D-150A, 8 per channel, again, not lacking for spl.

Crossovers! Scott, I want to get you into some Marchands made the way mine are! Not overly expensive, and they are good! Ill tell you one thing I do, 12db butterworth all woofers, and my horns, you can use 18db butterworth on the tweeters @ 7K, this will give you what you want!

Now you should find some more bullets, make hanging clusters, over the center of your dance floor, and find some 2404 bi Radials to have on your stacks!

You see, my bullets sound like that, but it's really the bi radials you hear, ITS AN ILLUSION!

A;so, LET YOUR 15,s go down all the way, use a 12db 35hz high pass filter, again, ITS NOT THE SUBS YOU HEAR IN MY ROOM MAKING THE WONDERFUL SOUNDING BASS! ITS MY 15,s, and the 18,s are underlying, you feel them, BUT AGAIN, ITS AN ILLUSION!

I heard 2446,s this summer on a Crown Power Line 4, essentially an enhanced DC-300A, MAN did they sound good, and I don't like Ti, BUT, this guy had em sounding good! Still a bit tizzy up top, but smoooother than I have heard them before!

Also, YOUR horns need to roll off where your tweeters come in, this will also help tame the nasties!

Im getting ready to ship your amps, and I can help you to achieve that NIGHTCLUB sound you seek.
    scottyj

Question

How does the K2 make so much power???
    I have attached the inside picture of my K2, where does all the heat go???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Scottyj, I don't have a DC-300a. I have a D-150 and a D-60 up here in the rack in my bathroom.

Do you believe that the one channel of 600 is too much for two 2445 on 2385 horns with protection caps? Boy, I don't know. When called for, I can lean on it a little harder and drive the highs (800 - 8k) a little more. I have the pv 4 way xovers at my left hand rack.

The 2225's go down to 70hz, and up to 800hz. The subs are on their own aux drive from the board to a rane ac22 from 80hz down.

I gotta tell ya, it ain't too shabby. I drive it, alot and definitely is doing everything I want it to. The question was about an AL vs. Ti diaphragm, or the radians.

Scottyk.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

The K series was Crowns beginning in Digital amps, Class BCI outputs, similar I guess to the I techs.

These newfangled amps are VERY EFFICIENT, and dont produce alot of heat.

We have reached the point in time where these types of amps are POWERFUL, and sound GOOD!

I use an I Tech on some massive size folded horns, I LOVE IT!

And with todays digital music, the new amps produce tight sounding bass, that is a good thing!

scottyj

Scottyj, I don't have a DC-300a. I have a D-150 and a D-60 up here in the rack in my bathroom.

Do you believe that the one channel of 600 is too much for two 2445 on 2385 horns with protection caps? Boy, I don't know. When called for, I can lean on it a little harder and drive the highs (800 - 8k) a little more. I have the pv 4 way xovers at my left hand rack.

The 2225's go down to 70hz, and up to 800hz. The subs are on their own aux drive from the board to a rane ac22 from 80hz down.

I gotta tell ya, it ain't too shabby. I drive it, alot and definitely is doing everything I want it to. The question was about an AL vs. Ti diaphragm, or the radians.

Scottyk.
    You can get a DC-300A cheap, and IMHO, it will blow the Macro away on compression drivers, and Comp drivers and bullet tweeters are soooo damned efficient, your horns become screamy and shouty, and it also thins out your bass, TRUST ME, I know what Im saying.

Listen Scotty, JUST try letting your 15,s go down to 35hz, YOU WILL HEAR A BIG DIFFERENCE! It will Flesh up and Round out your sound!

TRUST ME!
    scottyj

Scott you want radian phragms? I have six!

I paid $99.00ea, Ill let you have the amount you want, $70.00ea!

Aluminum is a softer sound, doesnt go up as high as Ti, AND THAT IS WHY I LOVE Al, BUT Im sticking to JBL phragms.

My phragms are 16 ohm.

scottyj

I gotta tell ya, it ain't too shabby. I drive it, alot and definitely is doing everything I want it to.

Scottyk.
    I DRIVE MY SYSTEM, and I DRIVE IT HARD AT TIMEs, VERY! And yet, it is clear maintains it's composure and remains distortion free, and HITS LIKE A SPEEDING FREIGHT TRAIN!

I let my TAD-1603,s go all the way down and roll off naturally, the TAD,s FS is 28hz, and I KNOW my cabinets DO NOT GO down that low, but when we wouild crossover and roll off the 15,s above 35hz, NOPE, TOO THIN SOUNDING!

AND I DON'T BLOW 15,s, either. I also, personally, am NOT fond of 4th order slopes and filters, too unnatural sounding.

I come from the days when NYC had Studio54, and The Paradise garage, and RICHARD LONG MADE THE BEST CLUB SOUND, EVER!

I copied him to a degree, WE HAD HIM in Eldorado in 1986, PHENOMENAL SOUND!

My system is a MAMMOTH! But it's sweet sound, and very lucid, too!

Now, The Crown DC-300A will be a warmer sound than the macro tech series, macros are good for bass, YES, but NOT my choice for high frequencies.

Your 2445,s? H or J, 8 ohm or 16?

I always used 16 ohm compression drivers, NEVER felt the need for more.

The D-150A, I used that for years on the six 2395/2441,s, but, with todays music, you need a bit more, I found my thrill with the DC-300A. I had Bryston, Mcitntosh, BGW, MacCormack, QSC, on my horns, I dunno, I gotta have a Crown, BUT up high, I like the older crowns, down low, I LOVE THE NEW CROWNS!

What mixer do you use for DJ,s in your system? Im an old Bozak and Urei man, but these days I am using a Rane 2016A, works well, too! I had a BSS EQ, a pair of KT,s, a pair of Rane EQ,s, I ran back to my White 4200A,s, I have combination of vintage and new, and IT ROCKZZZZZZZZ!

When you gonna come to NY? I would loved to show you my system, and let you spin a few a few tunes as well.

You better hurry, CONEY ISLAND is NOT gonna around much longer, and Im sad about this, But..........

I learned life in THAT place My family and I built!
    scottyj

Thread Information