Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crown K1 or K2?

I agree with Scotty J. I have 8 2400's, 6 1200's, and 4 600's.

They love a good solid AC power connection. When the line voltage is soft, the amp will go protect itself for a couple of seconds. Then, come back on right on the beat! The dancers look at you and go "CooL!" It happened to Lisa and I once.

I am considering driver my 8 2241 18's on one 3600 and use my 2-2400's in the smaller dance floor that really needs some help! The big ballroom is karaoke and drag show. Pretty lazy duty. The little dancefloor is our money maker.

ScottyK.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Scotty, does your system have its own dedicated Main, and breaker panel, WITH NO SHARED NEUTRALS? Each 20 amp and 30 amp receptacle on its OWN breaker?

Cause, THIS makes a difference.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    What do you want to use it for?
    Well it's just for domestic woofer (2245H) and subwoofer (SUB 1500) duty, actually. The price is pretty good and they are in good shape. There are two available. I would feed them from two dedicated 15 amp spurs.

I doubt they will ever work very hard in my application, especially on the 2245H's - I only run them 40-290 Hz. And, I can't tolerate high SPL's much anymore. Thanks for your input.

Actually, No you won't feed em off 15 amp receptacles!

The 2400 has a 20 amp plug.

For the Sub 1500 its a good match.

With the 2245 you might have to be careful how you drive the 2400. OTOH, you would have headroom.
    scottyj

The 2400 has a 20 amp plug.
    I had no idea. Thanks Scotty!

Yes! I installed dedicated panels of of the main 400amp service with a technically clean ground rod at the panel. All audio circuits are on that panel. Same in the little dance floor. All disco lighting relay and dimmer packs are plugged into the general shared panels of the buildings. The tow things, audio and lighting don't meet, easily.

I am talking my crown macro rack on mobile dj gigs, where power at the venue is soft. In the major hotel ballrooms, there is always some 50 amp 4 pole range plugs available and I always carry portable power distro panels for those. Its the golf club dining room/ballroom, or the local private civic center kind of thing. As long as the power is solid, and all of my wiring is 10 ga. stranded in conduit, everything is fine. My #1 job at the pro sound company was mains electrician. ABC's. Airway, Breathing, Circulation. Jobs on pro sound gigs. Power for chain hoists and the like. I was tweeko boy. Then came stacks and racks.

I am pm' ing you Scotty.

ScottyK.

Scotty, does your system have its own dedicated Main, and breaker panel, WITH NO SHARED NEUTRALS? Each 20 amp and 30 amp receptacle on its OWN breaker?

Cause, THIS makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    Yes! I installed dedicated panels of of the main 400amp service with a technically clean ground rod at the panel. All audio circuits are on that panel. Same in the little dance floor. All disco lighting relay and dimmer packs are plugged into the general shared panels of the buildings. The tow things, audio and lighting don't meet, easily.

I am talking my crown macro rack on mobile dj gigs, where power at the venue is soft. In the major hotel ballrooms, there is always some 50 amp 4 pole range plugs available and I always carry portable power distro panels for those. Its the golf club dining room/ballroom, or the local private civic center kind of thing. As long as the power is solid, and all of my wiring is 10 ga. stranded in conduit, everything is fine. My #1 job at the pro sound company was mains electrician. ABC's. Airway, Breathing, Circulation. Jobs on pro sound gigs. Power for chain hoists and the like. I was tweeko boy. Then came stacks and racks.

I am pm' ing you Scotty.

ScottyK.
    These hotel dining rooms, ballrooms, golf clubs, etc?

Here's an area definitely favoring some todays lightweight PFC amplifier designs that operate through a wide variety of AC fluctuation and conditions!

NOT ONLY THAT, a rack that is 50% lighter is one your back will thank you for!

AND, some of these new lightweight designs sound good. They just do.
    scottyj

K2 Full Range

Why is it that when discussing the K2 everyone says to use it for subs only in a hifi situation? What is lacking in the top end for hifi use? I use mine on subs now but was thinking of getting another for a full range application.

...after buying two old pre amps and a power amp and having them all blow up recently, I WILL NEVER BUY OLD ELECTRONICS AGAIN!

Crown is offering a rebate on new amps.

I just bought another 802d amp for 399 and I will receive a factory crown rebate of $100 making my cost 300 for a 500wpc stereo amp that is BULLIT proof.

Hi Robert,

What type of old equipment did you buy and what happened?

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ...after buying two old pre amps and a power amp and having them all blow up recently, I WILL NEVER BUY OLD ELECTRONICS AGAIN!

Crown is offering a rebate on new amps.

I just bought another 802d amp for 399 and I will receive a factory crown rebate of $100 making my cost 300 for a 500wpc stereo amp that is BULLIT proof.
    I feel your pain, I do.

It happened to me too many times, all eBay stuff, and I swore off the bay, PERIOD!

I WAS ALL ABOUT VINTAGE, TOO, but I'll tell you this, once you figure ou which of the new amps, what crossovers, and of course, SPEAKERS, IT HASN'T BEEN BAD FOR ME AT ALL! I use a bit of vintage, MY STUFF THAT I HAVE HAD!

But the new stuff works.
    scottyj

ScottyJ,

tell me more about your 2441 w/radian phragms as compared to my 2445's with 2445 titanium phragms. The tit's are a bit harsh and two of them are pointed dead square straight at my mix position.

will radians soften the ride, and still give me a "musical" experience?

(and I don't mean in a "Grease" "Hairspray" "SouthPacific" kind of way!)

ScottyK.

ScottyJ,

tell me more about your 2441 w/radian phragms as compared to my 2445's with 2445 titanium phragms. The tit's are a bit harsh and two of them are pointed dead square straight at my mix position.

will radians soften the ride, and still give me a "musical" experience?

(and I don't mean in a "Grease" "Hairspray" "SouthPacific" kind of way!)

ScottyK.
    I didn't like the Radian diaphragms, so I stick with JBL aluminum phragms.

I have a preference for Al diaphragms, I find Ti phragms to be exactly as you describe, a bit harsh.

Im using JBL 2441J,s with JBL D16R2441 diaphragms.
    scottyj

I have four 2445 drivers in the rig, and only two 2441 and two 2440 phragms. They are all currently in drivers here on the shelf. I don't see where mixing the two different diaphragms in the rig is a good thing, in this instance.

Also, I am not completely sure about a 2441 phragm in a 2445/2385 horn. Might be great! I might have to find some more '41 frams.

scotty.

I have four 2445 drivers in the rig, and only two 2441 and two 2440 phragms. They are all currently in drivers here on the shelf. I don't see where mixing the two different diaphragms in the rig is a good thing, in this instance.

Also, I am not completely sure about a 2441 phragm in a 2445/2385 horn. Might be great! I might have to find some more '41 frams.

scotty.
    What amp are you using to power your 2445 drivers?
    scottyj

Thread Information