Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown K1 or K2?

Crown K1 or K2?

Greetings, All,

Scott has got me thinking about possible advantages in upgrading, or adding, another, newer, Crown amp to our setup. What are the differences, both good and bad, between the K1 and K2 Crown amps? What is a decent price for such an animal? How reliable are they, compared to the old Dc300's, and DC300A's? Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

http://crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/136713.pdf

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp031302.shtml

K2s in good cosmetic condition seem to go for around $700±50 on Ebay. Beat up they go for a couple of hundred less. Of course K1s are less. I assume you're talking about using either for a sub amp?

For main amps, not subs, you may want to look at the PS-400 or the DC300A-II. They're potentially a lot newer than the DC300As.

http://crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/k1073-4.pdf

The DC-300 is a traditional Class AB design, its a simple straightforward amp, and YES, they do sound goood, IMO.

The K Series was crowns first amp with the NEW BCI Output Topologies. They offer MUCH higher power, at lower heat, hence the not needing a fan, which at the time these were introduced was unheard of for an amp of his power, as well as using LESS electricity from the wall, than a traditional amplifier.

The Power Line Four, is an enhanced DC-300A, the Power Line Series was Crowns attempt at the consumer amplifier market. They have something called " Multi Mode circuitry " which let the amps pre driver stage operate Class A for the first two to five watts, then switch to Class AB for higher power, and finally AB+B at highest power output levels. Made for the consumer markets they have RCA input connectors, so that makes em easy to use, UNLESS your running balanced lines.

There were three amps in the line,

Power Line Two ( Enhanced D-75 )

Power Line Three ( Enhanced D-150A )

Power Line Four ( Enhanced DC-300A )

They were/are nice sounding smps, I used Power line two,s on tweeters, and they just have nicer sounding top end.

I also have a Four, which Im bringing back out to A/B against the DC-300A on my compression drivers.

Now about using the K -VS- A dc 300A on your 2242, what I found with more modern higher power handling drivers on older not so high power amps -vs- newer, higher powered amps, is simply this, sound comes out of the driver with either amp, BUT, on the lower powered amp, I found the newer drivers bass note articulation to be somehwhat muddled, And they sounded OK to a POINT, and IF you played something with a VERY deep notes, or notes, or VERY demanding drum passages, the lower amp just seemed to not have enough to drive the woofer PROPERLY, even at low levels.

Now, I switch to a HIGHER powered, much more modern amplifier, and all of a sudden those muddled bass notes, MM,mmm mmm Mm, sounded like Bow, ba, ba, di da din doo da dow, I could visualize the bassisits fingers going upand down the fret board, and yet, I wasnt playing any louder than I was with the older amp. Kick drum tightened up immensely, with what MY ears tell me IS even better control than the older amplifiers had/have..

NOW, WHEN YOU do step on the gas, IT's NO CONTEST. The OLDER amp is like driving your mothers station wagaon, you are doing 60 on the highway, you step down on the pedal NOTHING appens it's got no more to give other than driving the amp into clip, you feel the station wagons soft suspension becazusae the car isn wallowing form side to side, NOT holding the road going in a PRECISE straight motion, you rock the whell gently back and forth to keep the wagon straight, and you can feel the wagon can't REALLY hold the road.

With the NEW amp, it was like stepping into a BRAND new BMW M6, your doing 80 going down the highway, step on the gas, the car moves forward with AUTHORITY, and next thing your speedometer says 100MPH, yet, this car holds the road in a PRECISE straight line, steering is RAZOR Sharp, and RESPONSIVE, and WITH ULTRA PRECISION, and your not even anywhewre near the limits,either, IT HAS MORE TO GIVE! You dont feel the car vibrating, interior or exterior, you dont feel the M6 pitching and rolling from side to side like a boat, you don't feel that KNOWING feeling to slow down because the car can lose it.

NO, The M6 puts that shit eatin grin on yerface, CAUSE this thing was DESIGNED to be driven at high speed, your totally secure, and totally confident behind the wheel of the M6.

Till the cop car lights come on behind you, BECAUSE it didnt even feel like you wer'e doing 105mPh, and you wer'e barely even out of 3rd, and thought you were still around 80mPh!

scottyj

So many automotive analogies in one day!

First let me say I respect Scott's expertise with the high-power stuff. That's why I asked if the intended use for the K-series was as sub amps. I fully intend to have my NYC daughter who loves Coney Island visit the Eldorado Auto-Skooter emporium and report back on the thumping bass, as well as the art-deco bulb-lettering signage. (That is you, isn't it Scott?)

However, the PS-series Crowns (PS-200, PS-400) were actually updated D-series amps with turn-on-delay protection, headphone/monitor output, abilityto accept balanced input adapters, and a more modern chassis design. Many say the circuitry is identical though Crown shows slightly improved power output. Regardless, they are at a minimum the equivalent to the D-series, in my estimate they are an improvement, and I've owned a D-150 since 1974, I also have two D-150A-IIs, a DC300A-II, two PS-200s, and two PS-400s. The PS amps were more expensive than the D-series and intended to replace the D-series, though that price bump actually drove more users to the D-series which "forced" Crown to continue making the DC300A-II longer than anticipated.

The PowerLine series was Crown's attempt, as Scott says, to enter the consumer market. As such they dumbed-down the amps and made them prettier, using the old D75A and the PS-200 and PS-400 as their basis. They included a media-blasted aluminum face along with the black, added additional output-monitor LED to indicate power output, but junked the ability to use balanced inputs, 1/4" input jacks, barrier-strip speaker connections, and three-prong power cords. As far as I know, the circuitry is otherwise the same as the PS-series.

Now to take issue with Scott's automotive analogy: The new M6 is an overweight luxury car with a fine, large engine. A shame they put it in a huge, fat, soft car that relies on electronic nannies just to keep the over-zealous fat-wallet owner on the road as he surpasses his ability to drive. Think of it as the MP3 of the auto world in that it gives you only the control and feedback it thinks you need to have. The electronics are your government-bailout once you get in too deep. The stripped-down '80s M3 is the real performer whose lightweight body without accessories or nannies, and short, high-revving 4-cylinder rewarded the driver by responding to capable input and assuming you knew what you were doing or you'd not have chose such a vehicle. The visceral enjoyment from driving the first M3 (and, to some extent the FIRST M6) is akin to the basic THUMP that Scott loves from his JBLs and Crowns. That new M6 is more like the McIntosh speakers from the '70s known for their "living-room" sound. Bad shocks and all. "No highs, no lows; must be Bose", and now "high-speed with no skill; must be a computer-controlled German car!" Technology has won; we don't even need a driver anymore.

I'd still take a K2 in a heart-beat. The NEW M6 I'd trade for a barn-full of fun cars.

Dear Doc,

I have heard the K2 and think it is very worthy for your purpose. There a few on the bay right now with resonable buy it now prices.

I just fail to see how you can go wrong with a JBL + Crown connection.
    See Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/CROWN-K2-POWER-A...QQcmdZViewItem
    (This guy is also throwing in a dbx 266 limiter to put on your L300's, even!!!)

The Crown amp that I also like that was mysteriously left out of the conversation, is the PSA-2.

Or...

the M600 or Delta Omega

or...

Email Bart for a line on some Yamaha PC2002M with the meters on the front. Those would also be outstanding for $175 apiece!!!!!

I am glad to hear how much you appreciate the L300's! I do too!

Scotty K.

ps. Enough with the car analogies! If it can't haul a bigass sound rig to the gig, who gives a shit!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    There a few on the bay right now with resonable buy it now prices.

See Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/CROWN-K2-POWER-A...QQcmdZViewItem
    (This guy is also throwing in a dbx 266 limiter to put on your L300's, even!!!
    That one looks a little beat for the price. I'm getting the impression that Doc would like to be able to proudly show-off his gear once people get sucked in by how good it sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    So many automotive analogies in one day!

First let me say I respect Scott's expertise with the high-power stuff. That's why I asked if the intended use for the K-series was as sub amps. I fully intend to have my NYC daughter who loves Coney Island visit the Eldorado Auto-Skooter emporium and report back on the thumping bass, as well as the art-deco bulb-lettering signage. (That is you, isn't it Scott?)

However, the PS-series Crowns (PS-200, PS-400) were actually updated D-series amps with turn-on-delay protection, headphone/monitor output, abilityto accept balanced input adapters, and a more modern chassis design. Many say the circuitry is identical though Crown shows slightly improved power output. Regardless, they are at a minimum the equivalent to the D-series, in my estimate they are an improvement, and I've owned a D-150 since 1974, I also have two D-150A-IIs, a DC300A-II, two PS-200s, and two PS-400s. The PS amps were more expensive than the D-series and intended to replace the D-series, though that price bump actually drove more users to the D-series which "forced" Crown to continue making the DC300A-II longer than anticipated.

The PowerLine series was Crown's attempt, as Scott says, to enter the consumer market. As such they dumbed-down the amps and made them prettier, using the old D75A and the PS-200 and PS-400 as their basis. They included a media-blasted aluminum face along with the black, added additional output-monitor LED to indicate power output, but junked the ability to use balanced inputs, 1/4" input jacks, barrier-strip speaker connections, and three-prong power cords. As far as I know, the circuitry is otherwise the same as the PS-series.

Now to take issue with Scott's automotive analogy: The new M6 is an overweight luxury car with a fine, large engine. A shame they put it in a huge, fat, soft car that relies on electronic nannies just to keep the over-zealous fat-wallet owner on the road as he surpasses his ability to drive. Think of it as the MP3 of the auto world in that it gives you only the control and feedback it thinks you need to have. The electronics are your government-bailout once you get in too deep. The stripped-down '80s M3 is the real performer whose lightweight body without accessories or nannies, and short, high-revving 4-cylinder rewarded the driver by responding to capable input and assuming you knew what you were doing or you'd not have chose such a vehicle. The visceral enjoyment from driving the first M3 (and, to some extent the FIRST M6) is akin to the basic THUMP that Scott loves from his JBLs and Crowns. That new M6 is more like the McIntosh speakers from the '70s known for their "living-room" sound. Bad shocks and all. "No highs, no lows; must be Bose", and now "high-speed with no skill; must be a computer-controlled German car!" Technology has won; we don't even need a driver anymore.

I'd still take a K2 in a heart-beat. The NEW M6 I'd trade for a barn-full of fun cars.
    The ART DECO sign, Made by Artkraft Strauss IS INDEED me.

I did leave out the PSA-2, that is a great amp, also happenes to be ONE of the OLDER amps that got outperformed by some of this newer technology, AND I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE PSA-2,s, I DO, but, :dont-know

The NEW M6 may not be as BALLS TO THE WALL, lightweight, and stripped down as the original M3 from the 80,s, but, drive ikt, against a REALLY soft family van type vehicle, and the analogy works. Hey, even todays "Vette" has the " Electronic Nannies" and ISN'T a `69 Vette with a 427, but, some of todays things DO work.

Now, I mean the things I say, I MEAN SINCERELY, I always do, and I found that ONCE I took the time to get the best I can from some of this NEWER technology, WHOA!

And ya know what else? People are right, TODAYS Crowns are NOT yesterdays DC-300A,s, and stuff, but, THEY SOUND LIKE CROWNS, THEY KICK like ONLY A CROWN DOES that certain crown sound I call it, and when you take the time to get what u can from, STAND BACK KIDS! HOLY F__KIN S__T!! I will tell u vintage Crown has a certain sound to it, and in other ways NEW Crown SURPASSES old Crown too.

IT's a barn of fun cars, as U would say!

scottyj

...I'm not a expert on pro amps but have owned lots of big consumer amps over 40+ years.

The new Crown XLS amps are inexpensive, are bullet proof and kick butt. For my HT application, I disconnected the internal fans which are totally unnecessary in a home application. ...runs ice cold to the touch.

While the older vintage Crown amps are nice, they are old technology.

For the same money as a old DC300 you can buy a new XLS and have a transferrable 3 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I will tell u vintage Crown has a certain sound to it, and in other ways NEW Crown SURPASSES old Crown too.
    But I can't afford to have my bubble burst!

Never owned a PSA-2 but I seem to see an inordinate number of them for sale as-is, needing work. Workhorses just ridden too hard for too long and put-up wet? I guess not many of them led pampered lives in living room cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch
    For the same money as a old DC300 you can buy a new XLS and have a transferrable 3 year warranty.
    The smallest XLS, the 202, generally sells for around $300 street-price and puts out 200wpc into 8ohms @ 0.5% THD. Not a bad buy for a brand-new amp. Add another hundred bucks and get one with 100 more watts. But then the last PS-400 I bought only cost me $100 and gets me 190wpc into 8 ohms @ 0.1% THD. Hmmm. I just wonder what the XLS series power output would be quoted if they used the same specs as the PS-series?

BTW, I should soon be receiving a Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power Four. Old MOSFET technology, I'm sure. But rated at 205wpc @<0.05%THD (Hirsch-Houke tested at 236wpc and at 200wpc figured THD @ 0.013%).

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ...I'm not a expert on pro amps but have owned lots of big consumer amps over 40+ years.

The new Crown XLS amps are inexpensive, are bullet proof and kick butt. For my HT application, I disconnected the internal fans which are totally unnecessary in a home application. ...runs ice cold to the touch.

While the older vintage Crown amps are nice, they are old technology.

I know once people take the time to really tweak some of this newer stuff, IT IS SOMETHING TO BEHOLD!

BUT, lots of this newer technoloy ISN'T "Plug & Play" as is was with a Crown DC-300A and and IC150A Preamp. You HAVE to work at it, to get "IT"! But WHEN you do.........

Now, vintage Crown, I used a DC-300A on my 2in compression drivers this summer, a D-150A on my 2404 Bi radials, and a D-150A r two Crown Power Line Two,s on my sixteen 2402 Bullets, OH it sounded SO nice.

I ended up using three PSA-2,s on my twelve TAD 1603,s and again it sounded soooo nice, but I did want MORE power!

So, I decided HEY I'll use SIX PSA-2,s, bridge mono, one amp per pair of TAD,s! GREAT IDEA, right? So, Inorder to start testing what some PSA,s in bridge do on 2 pairs of TAD,s But I didn't have enough amps on hand, and all I had on hand as a spare amp in case of whatever was a crown CE-4000.The sound guys used to call the 4000, " The POOR Man's K " rated for 1200wpc@4ohms stereo.

Using it allowed me to bridge 2 PSA,s and the center pairs of TAD on the CE 4000 and TWO front pairs of TAD on the bridged PSA-2,s.

Well, I'm listening hard, and the front pairs of TAD on the bridged PSA-2,s have a warm sound, not the greatest detail, as I had expected.

The KICK IN THE ASS, is HOW FUCKING good the center 2 pairs of TAD sound on the CE 4000, low mid detail like percussions are stellar, the low end, theres something I hear, just sounds right, and actually reminds me of years ago, when Altec was our 15 and the DC-300A ruled them, something is REALLY right over in this section of the room.

I am scratching my head, can't be. So, to back of the rack, center pairs of TAD go onto the 2 bridged PSA-2,s and front pairs of TAD go on the CE-4000.

And EVERYTHING I was scratching my head about with the two center pairs of TAD was now coming from the TWO front pairs of TAD!. GO FIGURE!

Th PSA-2 sounds WARMER, NO DOUBT! But, the detail, resolution, CLEANLINESS, and low end are just better using the newer amps, to my ears. Although it isnt as warm as the PSA-2, but that warmth, its DISTORTION! I have been saying HOW GOOD MY TADS sound, BUT, I never heard them sound like this!

Does this mean I'm looking for used CE 4000,s? NO! It means Im looking at two more I Tech 4000,s because i already have one, or three new Macro Tech 5000i, also 2000wpc@4ohms to do this job!

The TAD 1603,s sounded FUCKING PHENOMENAL! But, the old Scott, he still lives in my head, rent free, says NO WAY DUDE, YOU GOTTA HAVE PSA-2,s in this room, you like this new stuff for subs, thats cool, but we gotta be vintage the rest of the way up. I TOLD HIM TO STFU!

OK, so we/you/I don't NEED 2000wpc@4ohms, but these new amps are PROGRAMMABLE! The hAve clip limiting, avg power limiting, and Peak Voltge Limiting, and I ran my I Tech 4000 on J Horn subs programmed, it WAS NOT whatever in and out, I HAD THE FEATURES set and in use. I used the Balanced Input Modules on the PSA-2,s, so this stuff is not new to me.

Now, I am NOT telling any home user to do these things, what Im saying is even on my 15,s the new amp kicked the old amps ass. And In Some Ways I Hate To Admit This, BUT, THIS IS THE WAY IT IS!

For high quality home use, The K1, and K2 is a GOOD amp, has a nice front end too, that makes it sound VERY nice.

This is THAT fence I'm on that I was talking about in another thread, also about 2242,s and all our JBL stuff.

scottyj

Oh, and Ive been in there over the course of a few weeks to re-listen, and see when the PSA-2,s decide to wake up and outdo the CE 4000.

Every time, I prefer the way the TADs sound on the newer amp!

EVERY TIME!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    But I can't afford to have my bubble burst!

Never owned a PSA-2 but I seem to see an inordinate number of them for sale as-is, needing work. Workhorses just ridden too hard for too long and put-up wet? I guess not many of them led pampered lives in living room cabinets.

And I'LL give you MY MOST HONEST advice about all those ol, BEAT up, BLOWN out, PSA-2,s available of fleabay.

LEAVE THEM THERE, FOR SOME FOOL TO BUY!

Repairing them gets expensive, the original parts, some of them, like the output transistors, are NLA, sure they have substitutes, but......

And for less headache, you can get something new that WORKS, and WORKS well. And has WARRANTY, and has ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER parts available. FOR my MONEY, that last one CARRIES A LOT OF WEIGHT!

As I said, At Times I Hate To Admit It, but, TODAY IS A NEW DAY!

OTOH, between the re-learning in this new age of invention, and the music and the results I got from my new gear this last summer, OH WELL, I'm having too much fun to go back to where we once were.

Besides, dont'cha HATE when you get something from fleaBay, and it's glitchy, and you gotta squiggle the pot to get sound from that channel, and hit it upside it's head to get it outta standby, etc?

PSA-2, they were the STUFF back in the3 day, But I'm no longer living in that day, I'm here in 2008 going into 2009!

Yesterday, my neighbors are downstairs startin a little BBQ, I'm up here, windows open it was 68 degrees, downloading tracks, about 200 of em I did, and crankin NEW tunes thru my computer speakers. Doorbell rings, I turn music down, and its them, Hey, thats cool music, what is that stuff? Scott you hungry? C'mon down. So, I come back upstairs, get my Apple and speakers, take it all downstairs, plug into an outlet, and just let tunes play out of my Serato/Beatport libraries, everyones is having fun, Harrys wife is dancin around, she says to me, I don't understand something, my kids and grandchildren listen to this stuff, and I HATE IT, and yours I LOVE!

Her daughter says, Ma, this ISN'T the same thing they play on the radio!

I told her daughter Ill make her some CD,s, Harry said, WAIT A MINUTE, forget about Jeannie, Im feeding you, MAKE ME SOME CD,s!

THATS WHERE I AM AT, TODAY! AND IT FEELS GREAT!

And you know, when people near my parents age ask for MY music, well, YOU KNOW SOMETHING MUST BE GOOD ABOUT IT!

So, I do what I have to, to get what I know I can, from todays music medias!

scottyj

And you know, when people near my parents age ask for MY music, well, YOU KNOW SOMETHING MUST BE GOOD ABOUT IT!
    One out of three of my daughters loves my music. But then I hated my parent's music.

Maybe the music was just better in the '70s?

Thanks for the advice, Scott. I'm sure you're right and that's why I've stayed away from the old big Crowns. Of course with the JBLs I'm running, I've got more than enough power. I think we'll find out what an L7 sounds like bi-amped with two Crown PS-400s this weekend.

You know when I find certain things that I think work OH SO WELL, I say so.

As far AS RUNNING L300,S AND L7,S and OTHER vintage JBL designs, if you have GOOD vintage amps, SURE, use em.

And MORE than LIKELY, Ill continue using some of MY vintage crowns on my 2in drivers and tweeters, cause I like that sound. But my newer, current hungry woofers needed more than what my older amps could deliver.

But, this combination of things IS OUTTASIGHT!

I'll say something about music in the late 60,s, 70,s 80,s 90,s, turn of the century, ( hows that to make us start feeling old? TOTC! ) and today.

All eras and genres of music have had their ups and downs, Most of it, if not all of it, including the "Psychadelic rock " of the late 60,s started at the underground level. It was all serious music, serious creativity, serious tunes crankin hard! They all have had their RISE to MAINSTREAM dominance, THIER PEAK, and then their over commercialization, watering down, and petering out!

There are versions of YOUR favorite tunes, versions YOU never heard, the FULL UNCUT, or UNEDITED, to COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VERSIONS fromas that tune what YOU know sitting in vaults and archives. Some A & R Record Label Exec used to make the final decision on what got pressed, what didn't , and they would base their decisions on " I NEED this to be more Top 40 radio Accesible ", or " No, THIS IS REALLY INTENSE, BUT THE AVERAGE PUBLIC Isnt GOING TO BUY THIS ", to " This may be a Manhattan Nightclub, But WE have to HAVE MIDDLE AMERICA Sales AS WELL ", to just plain ol, " NO, THIS ISN'T GOING to WORK, COMPLETE CHANGEOVERS, MAKEOVERS, And REDO "!

This new music, well, we are right at the beginning,almost, it,s been going on about 2 to 3 years now, but, in the very beginning the files, you know downloads, they sounded like trash! But, NOW, they are getting GOOOOOD!

Not only that, the musics artists and producers are getting their VERSIONS in the ONLINE download stores, remember, The iTunes Store IS NOT where I get my music. What I'm loving is the availability of a music that ISN'T WATERED down because so and so at such and such label didn't hear what he REALLY had!

Then, some of this stuff is just plain ol fun, FULL TILT BOOGIE, Toe Tappin, Ass shakin MUSIC!

But for sure, all eras and genres had the same START, RISE, PEAK, AND FALL!

I love 60,s music, I love 70,s music, I love 80,s music, I love 90,s music, BUT, I don't always care to listen to the same things I alwys listened to in the past all the time, as I have been there and done that, and no atter what, sometimes it just gets OLD, and the new stuff is LIGHTING MY FIRE!

Now, as much as i have my deep, dark, sinnister, throbbing underground tracks, I also have BRAND NEW PRETTY melody with BEAUTIFUL VOCALS and LOVELY INSTRUMENTATION songs too!

Remember that flip up seat in the old station wagons, the ones facing the opposite direction the car was going? The kids love to sit in that seat waving at the cars behind em! NOT ME! Hated that seat. I had no interest in where I'd been, we had all that in a camera, thats what Kodak was for! But I wanted to see where I was going, and all the stuff I'd never seen before!

THAT'S ME!

scottyj

And I'LL give you MY MOST HONEST advice about all those ol, BEAT up, BLOWN out, PSA-2,s available of fleabay.

LEAVE THEM THERE, FOR SOME FOOL TO BUY!

Maybe I got lucky but I bought my PSA-2XH (special "eXtended Headroom" Showco version) with the balanced input card for $225 from C/L (with a ~75 mile drive each way). It needed a good cleaning and after removing the ground strap (as per the instructions), it's ground loop hum totally disappeared. It has worked fine since I brought it home to power my W15GTI (in bridged mode).

Thread Information